Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Imagine if they rebuilt Volcano, but with these trains. Unghhhhh:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Inverted, inverting coaster with only lap bars and cars way more open than past invert cars. Yes, please.

TIL Volcano is a girl.

Yes, and she had quite the temper.
Really? I heard that TTD and Ka don’t launch at their advertised speeds

Volcano tracked train speeds in near real time during the launches. There was a black comb like fin on the unload side of the train as you can see in the picture below. The speed would be displayed on the board monitor as the train passed through each set of speed sensors. Volcano did not have any special mode for morning/empty trains, though it did have an empty seat counter for capacity but this had no effect on the ride itself. It always started launches at full tilt and would make adjustments as needed during the launches. Weight and heat were the biggest factors on whether or not any given train would rollback.

KD-8-3-2010-Volcano-3.jpg

Fun fact: Those white reflective squares are what triggered the onride photo.

You know, that’s the first photo I’ve seen of the coaster from that angle of the station in a long time. Reminds me of the old days when you took that long, dark ramp down to the loading area on the mountain side of the station. RIP :(

TIL Volcano had an on-ride photo op. Guessing it may have been on the roll-out?

More curious was the reason behind the decision to change up the queue - I felt the dual load/unload station was far more efficient and experienced stacking more often after the change. Going to guess staffing?

iirc the photo was either right before the pull up on the second launch or at the end of the ride when you dove back into the Volcano. I do remember there being flashes but when the station got redone the photo op went bye bye due to space.

Nope, first launch right after take off. Was there until she came down. Even had Funpix.

Numerous reason for the station reconfiguration. Loose articles, ADA, eliminating the need for an operator to cross the station at every dispatch, and it was suppose to increase capacity (but it just made it worse) were the primary reasons from what I’ve been told. Staffing wasn’t really one of them as both layouts required 6 minimum to run. We could run with 4 on the new layout, but that required Ops and Unit 1 approval as we were always suppose to have 4 on the floor to check restraints.

Reactions: b.mac
For what it is worth, that tunnel was a sauna in the Summer, and capacity was so bad that you could get stuck in there forever. Additionally, people couldn’t ever seem to figure out how to go around the line for the back row, so the queue backed up into the tunnel, even when there was room in the station. So, I was ecstatic when they switched the loading area to the other side.

Last edited:
I got that in the mail already. I pre-ordered it a while back. But it's staying in the package because I've decided it will be a birthday gift to my son in a few months. He was the biggest fan of Volcano. It was his favorite coaster, so it only seems appropriate. Will be a super nice surprise for him. He has no idea even of its existence and I don't plan to clue him in on it.

So, I just searched as well, and all I could find anywhere was “2018.” Looking back through this thread, @snowman6996 reported on May 12, 2018 that it was down for the weekend. Looking at the 2018 operating calendar, KD was only open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays at that time. So, the latest it could have been operating was that Saturday, May 12th.

This doesn’t really answer the question, but maybe someone else remembers whether it was operating in early May before that weekend?

Reactions: Twisted_Airtime
So, I just searched as well, and all I could find anywhere was “2018.” Looking back through this thread, @snowman6996 reported on May 12, 2018 that it was down for the weekend. Looking at the 2018 operating calendar, KD was only open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays at that time. So, the latest it could have been operating was that Saturday, May 12th.

This doesn’t really answer the question, but maybe someone else remembers whether it was operating in early May before that weekend?
It could have Possibly been open a little but after that because I remember going on a road trip in summer 2018 and we went to KD on June 25. I remember geting to the park around noon and the ride began down but it came up about a hour later so we rode it and affter that it went back down again due to it "having a restraint problem" according to one of the ride ops that day. Idk if this helps or not tho

While I don’t have access to those numbers, based on what I know and some very rough math it would have been between 50-60,000 people at most. While Volcano did have the longest line in the region, she was insanely low capacity, topping out at 672 pph (42 cycles an hour). At that point, trains are literally going out as fast as the system would allow a dispatch. On an average hour (with a decent crew and guests who were paying attention) you’d get about 28-32 cycles an hour.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad