Defunct Roller Coaster Volcano: The Blast Coaster

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
I’m curious about what the park will do to “hide” Volcano this season. The ride is still standing in its entirety right now. I’m guessing all the signage and the marquee above the entrance will be removed, but how far will they go? I’m wondering if the entrance will just be blocked off with a trash can, or if there’ll be a more permanent barrier like at the Hurler entrance in 2017.

Likewise, the Expedition Gear gift shop is also closed, according to the park map. I wonder if its signage is a goner too?

I also wonder if the stone Volcano archway next to The Crypt will survive. In theory, the “Volcano” sign could be replaced with a generic Safari Village sign on the archway.

Nov 1, 2012
I’m curious about what the park will do to “hide” Volcano this season. The ride is still standing in its entirety right now. I’m guessing all the signage and the marquee above the entrance will be removed, but how far will they go? I’m wondering if the entrance will just be blocked off with a trash can, or if there’ll be a more permanent barrier like at the Hurler entrance in 2017.

Likewise, the Expedition Gear gift shop is also closed, according to the park map. I wonder if its signage is a goner too?

I also wonder if the stone Volcano archway next to The Crypt will survive. In theory, the “Volcano” sign could be replaced with a generic Safari Village sign on the archway.
I would think what you described above (signage removed, permanent barriers at the entrance/exit) would be the extent of changes for now.

As far as the coaster and/or mountain removal timeframe. That could have started as soon as the announcement to close Volcano TBC in February; to nothing done until next year at the earliest (If KD has already started, then things like train removal, power disconnect, etc. It does not have to be the major track support removal).

Again, it depends on what KD/CF wants to do with the site. If the mountain stays for future attraction(s), they might get rid of the coaster itself by the end of this year. That way the park has time to evaluate the mountain structure for basic refurbishment, restoration, stabilization.

As attraction plans come into focus in the future for the site, the mountain could be modified/expanded again to suit whatever ends up there. I just don't see any new stuff there until 2021 at the earliest (If KD decides to bring back some form of the "The Lost World" ride complex, my bet is for 2022; especially, if the decision to close Volcano was just made last month).

I think the Old Virginia section and the water park will see new attractions before the Volcano site will.

VikingvadR

Super awesomeness 🕶
Oct 29, 2016
If anybody is going on opening day, please get some photos. I doubt that they have started removing any track pieces yet but still would like to see what they done so far.

b.mac

Great Adventure got an RMC...
May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
It's very likely going to sit for the majority of the season like Tornado did. Keep an eye on the permit filings for demo work. Most of the park's attention is getting ready for the 2019 season they have no motivation to crack at Volcano yet.

Reactions: Zachary
Login or Register to Hide This Ad