Gavin

Who, me?
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Spotsylvania, Virginia
TIL Volcano is a girl.
Yes, and she had quite the temper.
Really? I heard that TTD and Ka don’t launch at their advertised speeds
Volcano tracked train speeds in near real time during the launches. There was a black comb like fin on the unload side of the train as you can see in the picture below. The speed would be displayed on the board monitor as the train passed through each set of speed sensors. Volcano did not have any special mode for morning/empty trains, though it did have an empty seat counter for capacity but this had no effect on the ride itself. It always started launches at full tilt and would make adjustments as needed during the launches. Weight and heat were the biggest factors on whether or not any given train would rollback.

Fun fact: Those white reflective squares are what triggered the onride photo.

Feb 14, 2019
TIL Volcano had an on-ride photo op. Guessing it may have been on the roll-out?

More curious was the reason behind the decision to change up the queue - I felt the dual load/unload station was far more efficient and experienced stacking more often after the change. Going to guess staffing?

b.mac

Wild Mouse Nerd
May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
iirc the photo was either right before the pull up on the second launch or at the end of the ride when you dove back into the Volcano. I do remember there being flashes but when the station got redone the photo op went bye bye due to space.

Gavin

Who, me?
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Nope, first launch right after take off. Was there until she came down. Even had Funpix.

Numerous reason for the station reconfiguration. Loose articles, ADA, eliminating the need for an operator to cross the station at every dispatch, and it was suppose to increase capacity (but it just made it worse) were the primary reasons from what I’ve been told. Staffing wasn’t really one of them as both layouts required 6 minimum to run. We could run with 4 on the new layout, but that required Ops and Unit 1 approval as we were always suppose to have 4 on the floor to check restraints.

Reactions: b.mac

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
For what it is worth, that tunnel was a sauna in the Summer, and capacity was so bad that you could get stuck in there forever. Additionally, people couldn’t ever seem to figure out how to go around the line for the back row, so the queue backed up into the tunnel, even when there was room in the station. So, I was ecstatic when they switched the loading area to the other side.

Last edited:
Login or Register to Hide This Ad