Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sorry for the late post, it's been a hectic week.

So, Fiber Optics will decrease the price to run Apollo’s because it’s not electricity it’s light. Also the fiber optics should last the rest of the coasters life time unless the cable is severed.

This is false. While fiber optics do use light, they still require electricity to emit and receive that light. Furthermore, whatever is on either end of the fiber (be it a sensor, controls, computer, etc) would also need power to operate. Any sort of decrease in operating costs would be minimal, if at all.

...But I do know that if a fiber optic cable gets severed at all its game over. I’m pretty sure the whole wire would need to be replaced.

They splice fibers in the field all the time. However, depending on numerous factors (length of the line, ease of replacement, type of line connection, line degradation, etc), they will replace an entire line if need be. Verizon literally spliced a 20ft section of Central Office fiber in Caroline County in the past few weeks after it was hit by someone digging. They also regularly go out and replace an entire service drop for a simple nick.

With all that being said, there was a Miss Utility dig ticket in the past few months for a conduit to be installed back near Apollo. This is more than likely the fiber optics that were being installed for in park communications.

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 00.44.54.png

/me reads through the fiber optic conversation...
/me starts to say something...
/me closes mouth, shakes his head, sighs, and moves on
/me sees @Gavin's post and has his faith in humanity slightly restored...

• Haha
Reactions: r757chan and Nicole
Sorry for the late post, it's been a hectic week.

This is false. While fiber optics do use light, they still require electricity to emit and receive that light. Furthermore, whatever is on either end of the fiber (be it a sensor, controls, computer, etc) would also need power to operate. Any sort of decrease in operating costs would be minimal, if at all.

They splice fibers in the field all the time. However, depending on numerous factors (length of the line, ease of replacement, type of line connection, line degradation, etc), they will replace an entire line if need be. Verizon literally spliced a 20ft section of Central Office fiber in Caroline County in the past few weeks after it was hit by someone digging. They also regularly go out and replace an entire service drop for a simple nick.

With all that being said, there was a Miss Utility dig ticket in the past few months for a conduit to be installed back near Apollo. This is more than likely the fiber optics that were being installed for in park communications.

View attachment 21063
Like I said, I’m not an expert in that field. I said it might not be all correct.

Reactions: Gavin
Wow, I missed a lot... Anyways, if they are installing fiber for the ride systems, its a lot less exciting than you may think. Essentially, they are just replacing a data cable (could be ethernet, but in 1999, DH+ was the premiere choice of control systems data cable) with fiber. In all, they are just bringing the system up to modern standards, using Ethernet/IP to connect all of the remote IO that is in the ride, which the distance between the MCBR and the Electrical room is too great for ethernet and fiber isn't susceptible to lightning interference either. Wireless isn't usually trusted in industrial safety applications, which is why hardwired is the way to go. It doesn't take that much equipment to do, just two managed ethernet switches with SFP ports and the cables, which are rated in Km, not meters like Cat 5e/6/7 cables are. These are the switches we typically install and I wouldn't be surprised if Consign installed the 5700 series too. There are Fiber-optic sensors, but they are only used in photoeye situations, where a traditional sender/receiver could not fit in a given space. In AC's case, fiber would only be used to connect the remote IO racks (These) with the main PLC (One of these). It could also be for park infrastructure, but since there really isn't too much out that way, I would doubt that.

Last edited:
Who said that, And does that mean they are done with the new computer system?

Last edited:
Reactions: VikingvadR
As long as they complete the computer upgrades, there’s no reason it couldn’t operate later this year as long as San Marco and at least the front of Festa open.

• Love
Reactions: Mwe BGW
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad