Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Le Mans closed in 2006, Griffon opened in 2007, and AB agreed to be sold to InBev in 2008.

Thanks for the correction there - I was under the impression AB's sale was earlier and Griffon was built to increase the park value ahead of it being divested.

Though now you mention it, even if this was 100% a planned AB replacement without a thought towards selling out, it's probable planning started as early as 2003-2004?

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Originally BGW was suppose to get Sheikra and BGT was suppose to get Griffon. However, someone at the park did the math and realized that a 2006 opening would make more sense to coincide with the 400th anniversary of Jamestown. So yes, planning was being done by BEC around 2003/2004 for Griffon well before there was even a thought of being sold to InBev.

Great memories of it as a kid - it was always a treat whenever the third lane opened up.

Looking back, though, no wonder it was removed when looking at operating costs - required maybe 10+ attendants between loading, spotters on the courses, and unloading. And since it's a bunch of modified lawn mower engines, I'm sure gas mileage was abysmal. Then think of how low capacity they are, and aren't as marketable as a thrilling ride, and poof, gone.

But I guess that's the difference of AB ownership - they focused on the overall experience and didn't seem too worried about the costs to operate this kind of ride.

However, in a parallel universe where AB still retained control, it may have been inevitable that it got replaced - it's a lot harder to relocate than the scrambler...
ab owned the park when LeMans was taken out and Griffon was built It had nothing to do with SEAS

Reactions: Zachary
Looking back, though, no wonder it was removed when looking at operating costs - required maybe 10+ attendants between loading, spotters on the courses, and unloading. And since it's a bunch of modified lawn mower engines, I'm sure gas mileage was abysmal. Then think of how low capacity they are, and aren't as marketable as a thrilling ride, and poof, gone.

To add to this it had very low ridership in its last operating years as the ride's popularity had waned. I went to the park almost every weekend between the time they revamped Hastings into Killarney and added DarKastle and it was weird walking thru an empty queue building directly into the outside area footbridge where you waited right before you boarded a car, and this was even on fairly busy days. It seemed like visitors weren't willing to wait in line like they used to so they just walked past it.

Originally BGW was suppose to get Sheikra and BGT was suppose to get Griffon.

Do you mean BGW was supposed to get a dive coaster before BGT? Because B&M designed Griffon specifically for BGW's terrain. SheiKra's layout was designed for parks with flat land and would not fit in the Le Mans/Griffon area, and it's also why there's a slightly taller clone of it at Happy Valley Shanghai.

Back to Le Mans....

Here's a nice homage video of the the attraction showing some off-ride and on-ride POV...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Do you mean BGW was supposed to get a dive coaster before BGT? Because B&M designed Griffon specically for BGW's terrain. SheiKra's layout was designed for parks with flat land and would not fit in the Le Mans/Griffon area, and it's also why there's a slightly taller clone of it at Happy Valley Shanghai.
Yes, although the basic elements from each ride would have been flipped.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad