Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Golly. How easy would it be for the park to remove a maze and put something like this into Darkastle:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seems like a no brainer.

I am not sure how well this works without the IP attached to it. The combination of effects and back story seem to really make it work I just don't think it would hold up as well as just a maze and I can't see Sea shelling out the cash for an IP that would sell one of these.

Pictured below, I have an early stages layout I created for a Vekoma v2 Flying Coaster to replace DarKastle. While I would equally like to see a modern dark ride occupy the building, I am a huge fan of flying coasters and was drawn to this concept with the debut of F.L.Y. at Phantasialand in late 2020. I took a different approach to DarKastle replacement ideas by demolishing the entire site besides the standing theming tower and some queue near the entrance. The purpose was to pay homage to DarKastle as well as provide a great near-miss element during the first inversion of the ride over paths with the main flow of guest traffic.

Building the layout in NoLimits showed me this layout is about 3000 feet long and never breaks 60 feet tall. Starting with a loading station 20 feet below ground and a lift taking riders 60 feet above the ground, the curved drop goes into a ravine tributary of the Rhine creating an 80-foot drop. The drop goes under the existing pathway (which would now be a bridge or tunnel) heading up into a large corkscrew by the DarKastle tower. Flying over guest pathways with pops of airtime and other turns heads to a booster launch (also the storage transfer) parallel to the load/unload stations and brake run. An airtime hill and downward helix following the underground launch leads riders into another corkscrew over pathways. Series of turns lead riders into an upward helix as the ride's finale. The brake run and flying to sitting transition brings riders to the unload station where they exit with ride track surrounding them.

In essence, the ride would be very similar to F.L.Y. in terms of intensity and overall experience. At Busch Gardens, I'd place it between Loch Ness Monster and Verbolten in the lineup for perhaps younger guests feeling out more intense rides or trying out inversions for the first time. Lots of near-miss elements and theming surrounding the ride would be key to making this ride feel special and fitting for Busch Gardens. As I said, the concept is still in its infancy, so major theming props and buildings and paths haven't been completely thought out yet. As for theming, a quick thought ran through my head about theming the ride experience to a blimp/airship tour. They are a german flying machine invention after all. Much like Verbolten on the other side of Oktoberfest being a car tour, this could be like a blimp tour taking riders over the festivities of Oktoberfest (except it doesn't go wrong).

BG Map Export Germany.jpg

If DarKastle's building had to come down for some reason, I'd be all about a solution like this! Really neat use of the terrain between Rhinefeld and Oktoberfest too! I've long thought that was a good spot for something.

That said, I'd be SHOCKED if DarKastle's building were removed. I fully expect its replacement to utilize the building somehow.

The only large curiosity I'd have is with the layout, specifically storage and transfer locations.

Even if it's close in physical proximity to get a maintenance person to quickly get over there, the train would have to stop in the middle of the launch either getting on or off the track and would probably delay operations a bit as it'd have to complete half a cycle to make it to the station (not sure if there's a protocol to have added trains perform a test cycle too).

Reactions: AIR and Mwe BGW
Love the concept but I really think that for Busch to continue with the plan of year round ops that they need some indoor attractions that can be run and are attritive to guest when it's cold out. I think that reusing DK and possibly BFE buildings for this purpose makes far more since then demoing DK building a coaster in that location and then trying to fill that gap later.

To be fair, the NewKastle Santa's workshop uses this building to fill that void in some sense, but since it's BGW and not Holiday World they can't easily get away with having that year-round.

If they could bring back DK itself with an upgraded projection system and seasonal overlays alongside some way to reduce the need for a large ride crew, they'd have a winner on their hands

Reactions: AIR and Mwe BGW
Would love to see the final product in NL2
Pictured below, I have an early stages layout I created for a Vekoma v2 Flying Coaster to replace DarKastle. While I would equally like to see a modern dark ride occupy the building, I am a huge fan of flying coasters and was drawn to this concept with the debut of F.L.Y. at Phantasialand in late 2020. I took a different approach to DarKastle replacement ideas by demolishing the entire site besides the standing theming tower and some queue near the entrance. The purpose was to pay homage to DarKastle as well as provide a great near-miss element during the first inversion of the ride over paths with the main flow of guest traffic.

Building the layout in NoLimits showed me this layout is about 3000 feet long and never breaks 60 feet tall. Starting with a loading station 20 feet below ground and a lift taking riders 60 feet above the ground, the curved drop goes into a ravine tributary of the Rhine creating an 80-foot drop. The drop goes under the existing pathway (which would now be a bridge or tunnel) heading up into a large corkscrew by the DarKastle tower. Flying over guest pathways with pops of airtime and other turns heads to a booster launch (also the storage transfer) parallel to the load/unload stations and brake run. An airtime hill and downward helix following the underground launch leads riders into another corkscrew over pathways. Series of turns lead riders into an upward helix as the ride's finale. The brake run and flying to sitting transition brings riders to the unload station where they exit with ride track surrounding them.

In essence, the ride would be very similar to F.L.Y. in terms of intensity and overall experience. At Busch Gardens, I'd place it between Loch Ness Monster and Verbolten in the lineup for perhaps younger guests feeling out more intense rides or trying out inversions for the first time. Lots of near-miss elements and theming surrounding the ride would be key to making this ride feel special and fitting for Busch Gardens. As I said, the concept is still in its infancy, so major theming props and buildings and paths haven't been completely thought out yet. As for theming, a quick thought ran through my head about theming the ride experience to a blimp/airship tour. They are a german flying machine invention after all. Much like Verbolten on the other side of Oktoberfest being a car tour, this could be like a blimp tour taking riders over the festivities of Oktoberfest (except it doesn't go wrong).

View attachment 24015

Reactions: AIR

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Mwe BGW and Zachary
Busch Gardens history museum. Walk through attractions are people eaters, and a good break from the heat without necessarily having to wait in a hot outdoor line.

I'm talking chronological order here, from discussing the Busch family at the time and plans and whatnot. Old ride vehicles can be displayed, awards, etc. A way to make things that would otherwise go in storage/boneyard into something interesting for people to look at. Pretty low cost to put up as well compared to a whole ride system. Wouldn't even need the whole building, could still route people for a HoS house or Santa's workshop through the rest of it. Ultimately it is still an ideally placed venue for a house / Santa's Workshop.

Busch Gardens history museum

I've always thought this would be a good and interesting fit on the old monorail station pad on the animal reserve path. It's not a big enough plot for old ride cars and large displays but definitely good for a quick guest walk-through.

Busch Gardens history museum. Walk through attractions are people eaters, and a good break from the heat without necessarily having to wait in a hot outdoor line.

I'm talking chronological order here, from discussing the Busch family at the time and plans and whatnot. Old ride vehicles can be displayed, awards, etc. A way to make things that would otherwise go in storage/boneyard into something interesting for people to look at. Pretty low cost to put up as well compared to a whole ride system. Wouldn't even need the whole building, could still route people for a HoS house or Santa's workshop through the rest of it. Ultimately it is still an ideally placed venue for a house / Santa's Workshop.
I love this idea, and it’s perfect for people like me who have a difficult time parting with beloved rides. I would’ve gotten over my frustration with BfE faster if I could have gone to see some remnants of Europe in the Air. It would also be cool to see artifacts from retired shows!

especially for a locals/ member reliant park
I feel like this is the exact audience it would pander to, since your average amusement park tourist doesn't want to see a museum anyway. Not like a serious idea, just thought it would be a cool thing for people like us who love the park, and it's a low cost thing for them to have

View attachment 24015

Below, I've placed some screenshots from NoLimits 2 for the Vekoma v2 Flying Coaster I am envisioning to replace DarKastle. The layout has slightly changed from my previous post regarding this. The storage track has been moved to follow directly after the station and before the Dark Ride Section brake run just before the lift, Also, I've included a World's first element, the Tilted Pretzel Loop, which is essentially the familiar Pretzel Loop tilted 30 degrees on its side, which I believe would create a feeling similar to a helix while riders ride on their back. This element immediately follows the booster launch which I have also relocated to be directly above the Station / Brake area to add another element, a station flyby directly overhead the station. It is very difficult to see in the pictures below but I am still seeing if I can get my vision out in NL2 form. As it stands now, the ride has 8 cars, 2 riders per car, 3,430 feet long, lift, drop, booster launch, and has 3 inversions. (Corkscrew, Tilted Pretzel Loop, Inline Twist)

Rhinefeld to Oktoberfest view with new red track occupying the site:

screenshot-2021-10-11-08-14-57.png

I believe a basketball game currently occupies this space and is the old exit from DarKastle. I am thinking this to be the new entrance plaza for the ride with a bridge going right through the middle of the Tilted Pretzel Loop, which happens to be placed in the center of the ride area for a view of virtually the entire ride from one place.

screenshot-2021-10-11-08-15-22.png

Overview of the main entrance from the West side of the site.

screenshot-2021-10-11-08-15-50.png

The South end of the site with a flat helix and more intertwining track. I'm picturing a lot of close calls and other theming elements on this end of the ride. This site is currently behind the scenes and a parking lot, not where DarKastle is. So buildings, that could be used also as storage, would have to be placed around these turns to block the views of behind the scenes from guests riding.

screenshot-2021-10-11-08-16-14.png

Overview:

screenshot-2021-10-11-08-21-12.png

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad