Existing San Marco (Italy)

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Joe

Feb 12, 2011
4,298
11,368
113
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
I don't hate the new stage or anything (and it's way better than that horrid old Mix It Up setup), but damn, that old stage looks so much better. Blends with the architecture more, as opposed to the massive square stage that juts out today.

Plus, there are no bright pastel colored windows along the sides of the stage. I'm still praying for the day that gets changed.

Also, the statues look much better by the waterfalls than the current planters. I wonder if the statues could ever be put back.
 
Reactions: Eric and tursiops
Apr 21, 2010
2,448
2,442
113
I was just thinking looking at that Andretti pic. The park never has any celebrities for it's opening events anymore.
 
Feb 9, 2013
4,653
6,472
113
Joe said:
Plus, there are no bright pastel colored windows along the sides of the stage.
I didn't know pastel colors could be "bright." :p

But I'm not going to hop on the nostalgia train here. The new stage offers many advantages that the old stage did not. The backdrop on the current stage is much better IMO, and the performance space is much larger, which offers a wider variety and type of shows to be performed.

The old facades to the side of the stage were actually very ineffective at actually being facades. Sure the new ones may have semi-bright colors, but the point of a facade is to draw the eye and to prevent the person from seeing what is actually behind it. The shop facades honestly do a decent job at continuing the market street style feel of San Marco, rather than just generically painted walls.

I do miss the statues, but I don't think the new planters are bad looking, just different.
 

Joe

Feb 12, 2011
4,298
11,368
113
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
Fair points, although I'm not sure I totally agree with the new facades. I think the bright colors totally clash with the tans, brown, and white color scheme of Il Teatro. I think they would blend much more seamlessly, while still performing their thematic and functional jobs, if they were given less "loud" and more earth tone-y colors.

That said, this is just a minor nitpick. Il Teatro remains one of my favorite places to relax at BGW. Last weekend during HOS, I grabbed some cinnamon pretzel nuggets from Oktoberfest and ate them right next to the theater's waterfall. The eery music, roaring water, and red and blue lights made for an incredible ambiance.
 
Reactions: Jrbgwfan06
Feb 9, 2013
4,653
6,472
113
Joe said:
Fair points, although I'm not sure I totally agree with the new facades. I think the bright colors totally clash with the tans, brown, and white color scheme of Il Teatro. I think they would blend much more seamlessly, while still performing their thematic and functional jobs, if they were given less "loud" and more earth tone-y colors.
I totally agree with this. I think the green side stands out a lot less than the purple side, because the area already contains a lot of green, even if this is a lighter shade. The purple is just a little too much, there's just no purple almost anywhere else in San Marco, which makes it stand out a lot easier.

I just thought even with bright colors, they are more attractive than what was there before.
 
Reactions: Joe

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
1,211
1,904
113
Joe and others did and they despise it. For me who has heard it in some videos of the Passholders Preview Day, I think it's meh all around and I agree that the original soundtrack playing there is more suitable.
 
Feb 6, 2016
450
437
63
the soundtrack being played on pass member preview day & opening day was atrocious. have they fixed this yet?

(in San Marco/Italy)
 
Reactions: Eric and Luke

Luke

Pusheen Gardens
Silver Donor
Jul 20, 2011
1,711
6,665
113
Williamsburg, VA
www.instagram.com
jornor said:
the soundtrack being played on pass member preview day & opening day was atrocious. have they fixed this yet?

(in San Marco/Italy)
Yup! However, here is the original. I may just walk through there with headphones on tonight.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kb0skuf5qars0wq/AAC1Hya2OiDHaFA0fOl-Tjkla?dl=0
 
Reactions: Eric and jornor
Feb 6, 2016
450
437
63
Luke said:
jornor said:
the soundtrack being played on pass member preview day & opening day was atrocious. have they fixed this yet?

(in San Marco/Italy)
Yup! However, here is the original. I may just walk through there with headphones on tonight.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kb0skuf5qars0wq/AAC1Hya2OiDHaFA0fOl-Tjkla?dl=0
That sounds like a really good idea, thanks a ton for the link!!
 
Reactions: Luke and Eric

Luke

Pusheen Gardens
Silver Donor
Jul 20, 2011
1,711
6,665
113
Williamsburg, VA
www.instagram.com
jornor said:
Luke said:
jornor said:
the soundtrack being played on pass member preview day & opening day was atrocious. have they fixed this yet?

(in San Marco/Italy)
Yup! However, here is the original. I may just walk through there with headphones on tonight.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kb0skuf5qars0wq/AAC1Hya2OiDHaFA0fOl-Tjkla?dl=0
That sounds like a really good idea, thanks a ton for the link!!
I'm sorry I misread your post...no they haven't fixed the music.... I assume they are going to stick with the new music.
 
Jul 16, 2013
453
1,192
93
Radford, VA
twitter.com
New music is trash. Kills the mood entirely. Seems as if the park is trying to align the rest of the hamlets with Banbury's current state. Very..."modern"...ish. Not a fan.

On the other hand, Marco Polo's Marketplace is delicious, and a great revitalization/modernization of the area in a very tasteful way. (Take that pun as you wish.)
 
Feb 6, 2016
450
437
63
Luke said:
jornor said:
Luke said:
jornor said:
the soundtrack being played on pass member preview day & opening day was atrocious. have they fixed this yet?

(in San Marco/Italy)
Yup! However, here is the original. I may just walk through there with headphones on tonight.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kb0skuf5qars0wq/AAC1Hya2OiDHaFA0fOl-Tjkla?dl=0
That sounds like a really good idea, thanks a ton for the link!!
I'm sorry I misread your post...no they haven't fixed the music.... I assume they are going to stick with the new music.
No worries! But that is a major bummer =(
 
Reactions: Luke

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
1,211
1,904
113
I guess we can all assume it's sticking to the new music instead of giving us the classical beauty of the old one. *sighs*
 
Reactions: jornor

Joe

Feb 12, 2011
4,298
11,368
113
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
Yeah, I really can't understand the appeal of the new music. The park has been making such excellent strides in returning to their charming, Old Country roots, and San Marco's smorgasbord of strange Italian tunes doesn't fit the trend. I think what irritates me most is that the new soundtrack doesn't even fit any particular direction; it bounces aimlessly between modern Euro-pop, eccentric opera, bizarre 50's records, and outlandish choir music.

Out of genuine and respectful curiosity: is there anyone here who prefers the new music? And if so, why? I am legitimately interested in what appeal there may be to the new soundtrack, because I have trouble seeing it.
 

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
1,211
1,904
113
I'm genuinely curious too, honestly the 50's records and eccentric opera I don't mind, but everything else sticks out so badly that I can't stand it. Please get some beautiful classic music in San Marco stat!
 
Reactions: jornor
Login or Register to Hide This Ad