Existing Rhinefeld (Germany)

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Sep 29, 2009
It's funny now to think of people trying to grab coins out of there. The water makes it look like they are right within reach, whereas, in reality, they are nowhere close. For whatever reason it makes me think of a German nursery rhyme about a horse rider falling in a swamp.

"Hoppe hoppe Reiter, wenn er fällt, dann schreit er.
Fällt er in den Graben, fressen ihn die Raben.
Fällt er in den Sumpf, macht der Reiter plumps!"

Google Translate with pronunciation.

They should have that rhyme replace the one on the funnel cake shop in Rhinefeld. The current mural now has a crack all across it. ;)

Aug 3, 2017
Raleigh, NC.
CastleOSullivan said:
It's funny now to think of people trying to grab coins out of there. The water makes it look like they are right within reach, whereas, in reality, they are nowhere close. For whatever reason it makes me think of a German nursery rhyme about a horse rider falling in a swamp.

"Hoppe hoppe Reiter, wenn er fällt, dann schreit er.
Fällt er in den Graben, fressen ihn die Raben.
Fällt er in den Sumpf, macht der Reiter plumps!"

Google Translate with pronunciation.

They should have that rhyme replace the one that now has a crack all across it on the funnel cake shop in Rhinefeld. ;)
I laughed harder than I should’ve.

Sep 29, 2009
I always thought that the female figure on top of the Busch Memorial Fountain was original and unique to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, after being created in memory of Adolphus Busch in the late 1930s. According to a German art catalog that I read, it is not one-of-a-kind. The German article doesn't check out with the history that BGW once gave us at all if I recall correctly. Here is my English translation of the listing, and the photo of the figure titled "Weibliche Brunnenfigur" or “Feminine Fountain Figure."

"Boese (Böse), Johannes
(1856 Ratibor / Silesia - 1917 Berlin)
7500 Euros
-Nude female with a pitcher, looking at a little frog.
Around 1900. Bronze figure on round
plinth. Height: 170 cm (life-size). Signed J.
Boese. Plus, a stamp from “Aktien-
Gesellschaft Gladenbeck, Berlin & Friedrichs-
hagen." - Shown in the sales catalog
"Master of the Present, Sculptures and Paintings"
the New Photographic Society in Stieglitz, Berlin
from 1910, as “Feminine Fountain Figure."

I know BGW uses many real antiques throughout Rhinefeld, but everything I thought I knew about Rhinefeld at Busch Gardens just went "boom!" These dimensions of real history and history according to Busch Gardens are all the more reason I love the quaint German fortress village of "Rhinefeld" though.

Zimmy

Nessie thinks it is not polite to ask her age!
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
It is worth noting that in that era it was not uncommon for a commissioned piece to be based off of an existing piece. So it may be that Mrs. Busch's face may have been substituted. It would be interesting to know the full details.

As an example there is a painting of Washington as Zeus from that era.

It would certainly be worth taking a copy of the photo to the park and performing a close examination.

Sep 29, 2009
Lol! Mrs. Busch’s Face. Hmm. While definitely an interesting theory, I somehow doubt that Mrs. Busch would have wanted her face implanted on to a nude statue, since she was apparently the one who paid for the fountain to be constructed by a German group, probably the same one mentioned in my previous post.

It’s hard to get a photo of her face from the same angle though as the one shown in the photo above. In lieu of that, here is an album with 123 photos of the statue itself, plus the photo from above. Personally, I think it’s the same statue recycled, but it’s hard to tell about the face.

Album

Login or Register to Hide This Ad