Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
So does anyone think a May opening date might be possible given the current state of that construction site? I have no frame of reference for a project like this with the new Six Flags regime.
It seems the park expects it to open in May. Ace is hosting the spring conference at SFOT in May, and Tormenta ERT is part of that event.
 
So does anyone think a May opening date might be possible given the current state of that construction site? I have no frame of reference for a project like this with the new Six Flags regime.
Wrath of Rakshasa's track was completed March 29th, we saw testing April 17th, media day was May 22nd, and the grand opening was May 31st. Texas has better weather and they're ahead of Rakshasa so I think May looks good to me.
 
I don’t know if it’s just me, but I feel like everything just paused. We haven’t heard anything about trains on tracks, the restaurant haven’t got vertical, and it was recently taken off of the ACE SpringCon ERT

I don’t want to be a doomer & all, but if we don’t see testing by Memorial Day, there’s a strong possibility it might not opened by the World Cup Semifinals, which take place in Dallas
 
Last edited:
I don’t know if it’s just me, but I feel like everything just paused. We haven’t heard anything about trains on tracks, the restaurant haven’t got vertical, and it was recently taken off of the ACE SpringCon ERT

I don’t want to be a doomer & all, but if we don’t see testing by Memorial Day, there’s a strong possibility it might not opened by the World Cup Semifinals, which take place in Dallas
“We at Six Flags always believe to strive in quality and perfection, especially when it comes to new attractions. Therefore, we have made the decision to move the opening of Tormenta: Rampaging Run to 2027”
 
Why are we still using the term rattle for a bounce? Where did that come from? Rapterra does not rattle and vibrate like normal older B&Ms. It's butter smoothe with random bounces. The new BBW has a actual "rattle" you can hear the theming of the train rattle and vibrate its ass off through the village. It doesn't bounce though. So do we think this is going to bounce or vibrate its ass off or rattle?
 
I still believe the "all new B&Ms are rough now" narrative is being exaggerated by people who probably haven't ridden all of them personally and they're just repeating vlogger's hot takes.

I've ridden many of them and do not find them to be uniformly rough, bouncy, or rattl-y in the past five years.

Tormenta might have a higher risk of unpleasant bounciness being bigger and faster and having seats hanging off the track. But maybe don't prejudge a ride that's substantially different from previous dive coasters?
 
Why are we still using the term rattle for a bounce? Where did that come from? Rapterra does not rattle and vibrate like normal older B&Ms. It's butter smoothe with random bounces. The new BBW has a actual "rattle" you can hear the theming of the train rattle and vibrate its ass off through the village. It doesn't bounce though. So do we think this is going to bounce or vibrate its ass off or rattle?

Because of the train design, the "rattle" on Rapterra reads as a "bounce" rather than "roughness." Think of the train as a lever. As a Rapterra car chassis shimmies, the arms exaggerate the vertical movement giving Rapterra its "bounce." In a more traditional train design where riders sit above or below the track, it's the lateral movement that is accentuated by imperfections in the track/the train's tracking ability.

I still believe the "all new B&Ms are rough now" narrative is being exaggerated by people who probably haven't ridden all of them personally and they're just repeating vlogger's hot takes.

I've ridden many of them and do not find them to be uniformly rough, bouncy, or rattl-y in the past five years.

Tormenta might have a higher risk of unpleasant bounciness being bigger and faster and having seats hanging off the track. But maybe don't prejudge a ride that's substantially different from previous dive coasters?

I think there's some exaggeration for sure—hard to know how much of the "all B&Ms suck now" discourse is memes and how many people would actually take the criticism that far if pushed.

I have stuck my flag firmly at "recent B&Ms have tended to track notably worse than the current industry standard." I have yet to ride a recent B&M that has been significantly harmed by this poorer-than-average tracking—but it has been consistently noticable and comment-worthy to some degree or another. Never ride-destroying, never painful, never even really particularly uncomfortable for me, but consistently disappointing in the current new coaster landscape.

Holding that assessment and looking at Tormenta through that lense is pretty reasonable in my eyes. I don't consider it prejudgement, I consider it expectation-setting. Personally, I'm expecting it to ride like Iron Menace—I expect the relatively poor tracking to be present on Tormenta, I expect Tormenta's layout's scale to worsen the issue, and I expect Tormenta's large track gauge to mitigate the issue. On net, I expect roughly (no pun intended) an Iron Menace-like "smoothness" experience.

Worst case scenario, once I ride Tormenta I find it's worse than Menace and my average expectation for a new B&M dive lowers slightly. Best case scenario, once I ride Tormenta I find it has less of a problem than Menace and my expectation for a new B&M dive will improve.
 
Last edited:
I would love for people that think something like phoenix rising is “rough” to go on Hades 360 and tell me if they still think it’s rough. Phoenix Rising definitely has an annoying shimmy, but I do think we’ve gotten to an echo chamber situation where the way the problem is discussed isn’t really true to the reality.

There was a video on YouTube getting a lot of views lately called “The End of B&M.” There’s a problem but if people really think the company is on the brink of folding because of it, then the discussion has really gone off the rails lol.
 
I would love for people that think something like phoenix rising is “rough” to go on Hades 360 and tell me if they still think it’s rough. Phoenix Rising definitely has an annoying shimmy, but I do think we’ve gotten to an echo chamber situation where the way the problem is discussed isn’t really true to the reality.
I live close to both Great America and Mt. Olympus.

1. Hades 360 is the roughest rollercoaster I've ever been on (and I've been in T3) and it actively harms the experience of a coaster that could be one of the best in the world.
2. Wrath of Rakshasa in the back row is rough enough to be inexcusable for a coaster that opened just last year.

Both statements can be true, even if Wrath isn't nearly as bad as Hades, it's not something I want to ride most times I'm in the park because I don't want to chance a back row ride and get a headache. Maybe an overreaction, but I think something can just be mildly rough and still ruin a ride.
 
I live close to both Great America and Mt. Olympus.

1. Hades 360 is the roughest rollercoaster I've ever been on (and I've been in T3) and it actively harms the experience of a coaster that could be one of the best in the world.
2. Wrath of Rakshasa in the back row is rough enough to be inexcusable for a coaster that opened just last year.

Both statements can be true, even if Wrath isn't nearly as bad as Hades, it's not something I want to ride most times I'm in the park because I don't want to chance a back row ride and get a headache. Maybe an overreaction, but I think something can just be mildly rough and still ruin a ride.

I’ve ridden Wrath close to two dozen times, I’ve never had a ride experience where it was unbearably rough
 
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad