Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Project 2018: Virtual Reality Europe in the Air Replacement

They'll be able to do the majority of the development out-of-house; I would bet money that the rest of the development will just be removing the EitA theming and installing the VR headsets. I don't think that there's going to be a ton of new stuff to add, which is definitely one of the reasons to go with VR and to put it in the old EitA building -- easy and cheap to flip to a new attraction!

Reactions: Zachary and jornor

I can't speak much of the reliability aside from the fact that something as simple as someone banging on the exit doors is sometimes enough to cause a shutdown. The rest is up in the air (no pun intended). They created wonderful consoles for the initial programming of Europe In The Air, but all of that went out the window. Compared to Wild Arctic at SeaWorld, the current system can still withstand a lot of thrashing. Even Wild Arctic is not so bad, in spite of being many generations behind. Allegedly though, the entire building was supposed to have infrastructure reworking a while back due to years of wear.

The closure of Europe In The Air this year could have been due to cost saving measures or to ensure that no more damage is done, but maybe a bit of both. It's strange to me that we haven't seen much construction equipment in that area. I honestly don't expect much aside from a few simulator cabin updates. I don't know how big the hardware is supposed to be for this type of thing, but this type of thing is becoming more compact. Although very different, look at Kraken Unleashed. All of the hardware is under the cars and seats. Much like Kraken, they will not be relying on wireless receivers the way some VR rides do. That just causes lagging and less accuracy, should the ride fail to be consistent.

I found this interesting https://youtu.be/wJAlI4HDK7s?t=5m56s

In the Game of Thrones Making of The Loot Train Attack video, about 5m and 56s in the video I linked, they show Daenerys on a green screen stage pretending to fly atop the dragon.

What is really neat is that the motion base that they used for the effects looks nearly identical to the Europe in the Air motion base. Emilia even went on to say it is very much like being strapped on an amusement park ride.

I thought this was very interesting and even more relevant since EitA's motion base is going to be used for the VR 2018 project which by the preview could also feature dragons.

I thought the Game of Thrones connection to the VR 2018 Project was uncanny and cool.

Maybe this new ride will be GoT themed haha

Reactions: jornor and tursiops

VonDerrick said:
I thought the Game of Thrones connection to the VR 2018 Project was uncanny and cool.

Maybe this new ride will be GoT themed haha

Will Ireland become Madrid, and EITA becomes a Pamplona VR ride?

Just kidding, as previously discussed PETA and general animal care concerns would say no.

Reactions: jornor

This project has been surprisingly quiet sense it was announced!

Invisibread said:
What are you guys hoping for in regards to queue theming? I hope they bring back the black light cave paintings and fairy voices.

I agree ! Loved the fairy voices also the new lighting has to go ! If I remember it right it was little orange and green lights with dim castle style torch lights which I loved walking through there with ! I hope something similar to this is returned ! Along with New paint schemes ! To me with corkscrew Hill it felt as you were going deeper and deeper into the castle which I absolutely loved. Fairy voices would be awesome to return and maybe even a lighting sequence where the “fairies” are messing with the lights kind of like a preshow preshow story. Also right before you went into the preshow room if I remember correctly was some sort of window type them which was white plastic with lighting behind of it, maybe incorporate some type of fairy projection / dragon Lair / maybe shadow type effect ?

They should really go all out by making the building as beautiful and immersive as it possibly can like Curse of DarKastle did. Plus I love the idea of the mythical creatures interacting before the ride, it gives guests a good taste of what's to come.

Even if they were to remove the cave theming, they would still have very narrow hallways which doesn't allow for much. Also, whenever characters are roaming about, especially in a confined space, there has to be security-type personnel nearby. I think we are probably locked in with the cave theming for a while since it still will probably fit the theme of this ride. Europe in the Air was the most likely opportunity for them to change the theming, but they didn't, and the entire ride was probably a small fraction of what was initially planned. It's a good thing they left it mostly as it was before.

CastleOSullivan said:
Europe in the Air was the most likely opportunity for them to change the theming, but they didn't, and the entire ride was probably a small fraction of what was initially planned. It's a good thing they left it mostly as it was before.

Just like the all-out renovation of Banbury that was supposed to come with London Rocks *shudders*

Mad Ludwig said:
CastleOSullivan said:
Europe in the Air was the most likely opportunity for them to change the theming, but they didn't, and the entire ride was probably a small fraction of what was initially planned. It's a good thing they left it mostly as it was before.

Just like the all-out renovation of Banbury that was supposed to come with London Rocks *shudders*

Ugh. Don't remind me. :sick:

That themed tunnel queue was such a surprise when it first opened as Questor... just a looooong "rock" cave winding back from such a small part of the park, giving a sense of leaving it all behind and going underground. A fantastic way to accommodate the distance between ride marquee and the actual ride system.

When Questor first opened, I spent many an hour in that cool tunnel with friends, escaping the heat and waiting to take another spin. For a young person largely unfamiliar with the layout and boundaries of the park, having an adventure/fantasy themed ride at the end of that tunnel really did give the feeling of being transported to some other strange world.

I've been told that the simulator capacity will be lessened during the ride system's VR conversion. This is apparently to allow ride ops to better access riders who need help with their VR headsets.

halfabee said:
That themed tunnel queue was such a surprise when it first opened as Questor... just a looooong "rock" cave winding back from such a small part of the park, giving a sense of leaving it all behind and going underground.  A fantastic way to accommodate the distance between ride marquee and the actual ride system.  

When Questor first opened, I spent many an hour in that cool tunnel with friends, escaping the heat and waiting to take another spin.  For a young person largely unfamiliar with the layout and boundaries of the park, having an adventure/fantasy themed ride at the end of that tunnel really did give the feeling of being transported to some other strange world.

I would actually love to see plans for that building, I could never really figure out how much of the building that queue took up, it seems like a pretty long queue, but not overly "switch-backy" so I have difficulty laying out the queue in my mind in relation to the building that contains it.

The entrance and exit hallways are mostly parallel to each other and are roughly the same distance (200 feet or 400 feet between the two). They follow the same lines, yet the cave makes a slightly longer path with its curves and being slightly narrower.

Edit: Halfabee already beat me to the Google Maps illustration. ;) Anyway, what I wrote was similar to something written in an old article about the theming for the ride (no, I don't know where it is, sadly).

heh, You know I never put 2 and 2 together when going through Scarlet's Revenge. It just never dawned on me that the hall behind the bathrooms was the cave. I just kind of thought it went straight back. As always my sense of direction is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad