Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Project 2018: Virtual Reality Europe in the Air Replacement

It's not just Falcon's Treehouse that previously worked on DarKastle, but also Electrosonic as well.

Reading that article and browsing those companies sites gives me the idea they are making this new experience state of the art, brand new tech of it's time, similar to DarKastles (in that DarKastle was state of the art in its time).

It's really intriguing to also see CAVU Designwerks first and only VR product is called DreamCraft VR. The pictures and summary have made it seem beyond just putting a headset on with a cellphone within.

Here is their description of their DreamCraft VR:

Our first VR product, DreamCraft VR, combines Virtual Reality technology with a motion base ride system that places guests inside the frame. Far beyond a traditional media-based attraction, and more than just “shooting at a movie that does not change,” every guest will see a uniquely rendered and reacting world that will respond in meaningful ways to their inputs, both through hardware and through natural body gestures.

As active participants with the ability to engage with and impact the story, guests’ actions, decisions and achievements will alter their experiences, producing a cause/effect reaction that determines what they see inside their own, tailored virtual world.

For the first time ever, guests will also be able to interact with friends and family while inside the VR experience, and will have the ability to work together to accomplish a task or to overcome an obstacle.

Check out the pictures here: http://www.cavudw.com/virtual-reality-dreamcraft-vr

It may be interesting as well to see how they handle capacity and cleanliness, considering their website points those two challenges out and addresses head on as things they have specifically created unique solutions to.

Good to note that CAVU Designwerks works with DreamCraft Attractions to offer VR.

Their site: http://www.dreamcraftattractions.com/

They have worked on projects to include:

E.T., the Microsoft HoloLens, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Revenge of the Mummy The Ride, The Italian Job Stunt Coaster, Back to the Future, Flight of Fear, and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey

From DreamCraft Attractions:

Historically, innovation in the theme park industry has been focused on increasing the speed, enhancing the media, or introducing new IP to an attraction. DreamCraft Attractions is delivering innovation by changing the industry’s perception about immersive experiences. By integrating technologies such as VR, AR, and AI with engineered ride systems, DreamCraft is able to place guests “inside the frame.” We call this “Next Level Immersion.” No longer is the guest a passive observer, looking through a window. Now, guests are active participants with the complete ability to engage in and impact the story, opening up a whole new realm of storytelling.

This type of VR experience was only first formed recently last November with CAVU working with a video game company to provide this type of VR.

http://www.dreamcraftattractions.com/news/ride-makers-cavu-team-up-with-one-bit-labs-to-establish-new-virtual-reality-company

VonDerrick said:
It may be interesting as well to see how they handle capacity and cleanliness, considering their website points those two challenges out and addresses head on as things they have specifically created unique solutions to.

I'm interested to learn how this works too. I have heard that the park is purchasing 1,000 headsets, but I'm not positive about that yet. I would think that would give them ample time to wash them thoroughly.

Reactions: jornor

CastleOSullivan said:
Falcon's Treehouse, the company behind Curse of DarKastle will be leading this project. The company that they are working with, CAVU Designwerks has a very interesting portfolio. It sounds like the goggles may have arm tracking technology. I am really looking forward to this, because it's sounding less and less like a typical VR experience.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/virtualrealityreporter.com/busch-gardens-williamsburg-announces-revolutionary-vr-attraction/amp/
Looking further into the designer's official website, this is so riders can be fully immersed into the experience as the arm tracking technology will render the rider's arms/hands into the virtual reality experience! That sounds incredible!

Am I the only one just a tad bit concerned that strapping dozens of people in a box, move that box around, blindfold them, and ask them to flail their arms around is not maybe the best of ideas?

Maybe they'll slice the capacity in half and everybody gets their own box. That practically became the case on EITA since they only used one cabin most of the time. Or they could add the twist that everyone has been turned into some type of T-Rex faeries. That could restrict arm movement some.

Of course I'm joking, but one of the description of CAVU Designwerks seemed to imply that the headsets are interconnected so that riders can see each other. That would make sense if we are all turned into similar magical creatures a la Corkscrew Hill.

GeoUSA said:
Wait until you see the comfort restraints... ;)
a-clockwork-orange-puremovies-620x299.jpg

I, um....LIKED Europe in the Air...a lot *hides* :p

That being said, I think converting EITA is a good idea since I know lots of people didn't like it. (Kinda like Shockwave at KD...I liked it too, but I understand why they got rid of it.)
THIS is the way VR should be used, in my opinion. This way seems really cool and interesting and I am excited for it! :D

While I don't think it's fair for me to dis VR on coasters/drop towers a la Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom and Kraken since I haven't experienced it, my first thought is that I like real-world thrills and feelings just as they are and I don't want that to change. But maybe I'm just weird. (and by the way, I HAVE ridden normal Kraken, but not Zumanjaro, sadly, since I haven't been to SFGAdv.)

Anyone heard any updates on V.R. Project 2018?

CastleOSullivan said:
Update: The ride will use the existing screen as well as the new VR headsets. The VR headsets will also be tethered to the ride to maximize tracking accuracy.

Is the screen going to be there for the people that can't handle the VR?

Also....does anyone else think its a little strange that we haven't heard a single peep on this beyond the announcement? And now this little update? Not even a backstory on whats to come in terms of what the story is going to be.

when you consider how little we heard about the Pasta Flat and really most rides until Invader, no it is not surprising.

I wouldn't expect to hear a lot right away. For one, the ride technically is built already, they just need to create the video and install the upgraded technology. Which seems extremely quick and easy compared to building a coaster which could take anywhere from half a year to a year to build.

Also the park has other things to market and hype up like Summer Nights, Beir Fest, Howl-o-Scream, Christmas Town, etc.

My guess is we might hear something official in January or February.

Sorry, I haven't seen the BG cycle enough to know all of this. I've only been around for about a year and a half, and before that was used to the Hersheypark style of using quite a few teasers that by the time they announce the ride, you have a decent idea of what's coming.

Reactions: jornor and Merboy

I was hoping that we would have seen something on theming for it by now. I am hoping for a return of corkscrew hill.

Considering Unearthed is slated to return this year, I imagine there won't be any work done until after HOS, or possibly even after Christmas Town, so to me it's not terribly surprising we're not hearing much. No telling how far along in the development they even are at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad