Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
We're talking about the park with two mobius loop coasters and two SkyRockets.
Random thought/question that’s related but unrelated:
Are we verging on a spot where some parks need to have a duplicate coaster due to ROI and what’s best for the park?

I know there’s not many parks that would ‘qualify’ for that, but it’s something to start thinking about. I’ve been thinking that while pondering when we will see a true woodie resurgence (Not hybrids or steel structure) as a smaller family friendly punch to a park where you can end up with 2-3 woodies all in the 100-175 foot range that feature slightly different variations of the thrills.
 
SFMM is in a SFGAdv-style crisis, it's one of their most important properties/markets, and they are currently holding the #7 best coaster in the world in their back pocket.
I can’t think of any other park that’s lost 4 coasters in under 2 years in recent times. Sure, two of them were kiddie coasters (one of them being 79 years old) and the other two were some of the biggest maintenance nightmares we’ve ever seen, but it’s still a staggering number for a park that previously had more coasters than anywhere else in the world.

I don’t think AFO should go to SFMM by any means, but it’s a lot less unreasonable than it was two days ago. The park absolutely needs to buy some goodwill back, much like Great Adventure did (and still does, but they’re making great headway), and AFO would certainly turn heads. Thrill Glider looks absolutely incredible, but it’s a long delayed addition, not the start of rebuilding.

If there was ever a time to seriously consider the investment into renovating the Sky Tower, it’s now.
 
So, uh, I think AF1 reconfigured as a double-out-and-back fits sorta perfectly on the X2 site...

I know it's a bad-sounding fit because SFMM already has an I-Box, but if Six Flags feels the need to rush something major in ASAP to stop the bleeding... Maybe?

A very important consideration is that X2 is built along a steep hillside, so retrofitting the support structure to fit that terrain (and fit California's earthquake requirements) would likely be very expensive to the point the savings of a used coaster are negated. If you're at the point where you're spending $25+ million to squeeze in a used coaster that isn't a great fit, you're better off taking a couple extra years to do things right and add a true show stopper.

We're talking about the park with two mobius loop coasters and two SkyRockets.

Yeah, it's duplicative, but is Six Flags gonna care? SFMM is in a SFGAdv-style crisis, it's one of their most important properties/markets, and they are currently holding the #7 best coaster in the world in their back pocket.

I'm not saying it would be a good idea, but I wouldn't be the least but surprised if Six Flags played AF1 to X2.

Full Throttle and West Coast Racers are in the same boat as Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster...fairly similar on a technical level, but so different in terms of ride experience they absolutely can coexist without issue. ArieForce One would be a lot more similar to Twisted Colossus in ride experience than those two are to each other.

The best move for SFMM right now would be to buy a stock model of a unique design for the west coast that can be fit into an empty plot of land for 2028/2029 (perhaps complemented with a few relocated flats from CGA a la SFGAdv's boardwalk project), then commit to installing a headliner powerful enough to draw nationwide attention for the park's 60th anniversary in 2031. In addition, they need to make sure the park gets something new every single year going forward, even if it's a relatively modest addition. While the other three coaster removals probably won't do much to the numbers, X2's loss absolutely is going to deincentivize visitation, and the fact that their last new ride was Wonder Woman back in 2022 (which didn't do a whole lot for the park) isn't helping either.
 
In fairness, where would the technical line be when comparing similar coaster designs / experiences? Can't we theoretically argue the same point for any park that has multiple wooden roller coasters? Like I get where the argument is coming from, but at some point the GP is not going to care (or at least care enough).
 
In fairness, where would the technical line be when comparing similar coaster designs / experiences? Can't we theoretically argue the same point for any park that has multiple wooden roller coasters? Like I get where the argument is coming from, but at some point the GP is not going to care (or at least care enough).

I think it's a visual issue. People are gonna think they moved twisted colossus if they see AF1 in its current color scheme and we're assuming they're that dumb
 
Man X2 has been on the chopping block for a while now. It was only a matter of time, and the lawsuits just put it over the edge. I can’t imagine they are going to revive a replacement for a hot minute. When they do, I bet it’s a B&M wing not Arie, but only time will tell.
IMG_5315.jpeg
 
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad