Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
In my opinion, Larry severely overestimated the effect humidity would have on a wooden coaster. Yes, moisture warps wood, but not to such an extreme magnitude that cannot be compensated for.

Especially when a large chunk of the infrastructure of the park is wooden to begin with. I know roller coasters are different, but still. Seemed odd.
 
  • Like
Reactions: warfelg
using all wood still requires it to be replaced eventually adding to maintenance costs, regardless of how often the wood needs replaced, it still will be replaced. using mostly steel will help keep those costs low in the long run.
 
If they used steel instead of wood, it wouldn’t exactly be a hybrid coaster.

my point was in regards to the supports. they choose a hybrid coaster, steel supports and wooden track to reduce maintenance costs in the long run.

i never said they were using all steel, nor did I say the track would be steel either.
 
steel supports and wooden track to reduce maintenance costs in the long run

I figure RMC mainly uses steel track on wooden supports for a reason. Wooden tracking would be a dilemma, considering their entire brand revolves around the steel i-box track
 
Because it's the cheapest and quickest way to build the ride using an existing structure.

BGT is opting to go in a completely different direction compared to other parks by building parts of the ride from the ground up, so it can either be a steel structure or a wooden one. RMC themselves do not care for appearances.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zachary
Steel Track + Steel Supports = Steel Coaster
Steel Track + Wooden Supports = Steel Hybrid Coaster
Wood Track + Steel Supports = Wooden Hybrid Coaster
Wood Track + Wood Supports = Wooden Coaster

A coaster's type is determined by the make-up of its track. A coaster is a hybrid if its track type differs from its support type.
 
Because it's the cheapest and quickest way to build the ride using an existing structure.

BGT is opting to go in a completely different direction compared to other parks by building parts of the ride from the ground up, so it can either be a steel structure or a wooden one. RMC themselves do not care for appearances.

I'm not saying RMC would dislike steel structure. I'm saying if they are going for the hybrid title, then it need be a hybrid. I'm saying RMC won't go for steel supports and wooden tracking, that defeats the purpose of RMC.

If they don't care about it being a hybrid, by all means, steel it up baby.
 
Except theyre not the ones advertising the ride as a hybrid. BGT is.

Considering how marketing teams have touted a Larson Looper and a Zamperla Disk'o as roller coasters, I would not be surprised if another park takes similar liberties in definition.

Again RMC does not care about appearances, they'll build with whatever the most cost effective product is available.
 
I figure RMC mainly uses steel track on wooden supports for a reason. Wooden tracking would be a dilemma, considering their entire brand revolves around the steel i-box track

all my posts in this thread have pertained to BGW's reasoning for the way InvadR is. it has in no way anything to do with RMC.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Icer
all my posts in this thread have pertained to BGW's reasoning for the way InvadR is. it has in no way anything to do with RMC.
Oh I apologize. I just assumed we were discussing RMC. Funny how I'd do that in this thread.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mushroom
You were the one who brought it up. talking about Larry's decision to do InvadR as a hybrid. I was explaining why he choose that option, maybe you should actually try to keep up with the conversation, especially considering this all happened on one page - this page.

In my opinion, Larry severely overestimated the effect humidity would have on a wooden coaster. Yes, moisture warps wood, but not to such an extreme magnitude that cannot be compensated for.

Especially when a large chunk of the infrastructure of the park is wooden to begin with. I know roller coasters are different, but still. Seemed odd.
 
FWIW as a urban planner and having to know certain building codes.
If the wood on Gwazi went that bad that fast it wasn't treated properly before being used. Wood can hold up in that climate. Otherwise you would regularly see houses roofs cave in down in Florida.
 
You were the one who brought it up. talking about Larry's decision to do InvadR as a hybrid. I was explaining why he choose that option, maybe you should actually try to keep up with the conversation, especially considering this all happened on one page - this page.
I assumed since you did not utilize the "reply" function built into this forum, you were simply addressing the overall discussion off wood usage, not necessarily addressing my specific post.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mushroom
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad