Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Can anybody link the "hint" about RMC Gwazi to this thread for those who didn't see the announcement?
Here's the Facebook Live feed of both announcements. Gwazi stuff is near the end after the video of Tempesto standing in for their new ride.This is where I got the quotes I posted a few posts above you.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know some of you heard rumors of a Storm Chaser style overhaul.

But ignoring those rumors: What's your dream for this RMC'ing?

My dream RMC Gwazi would remain named Gwazi. Remain a dueling coaster. One side topper track, one side I-Box. Topper track side completely reprofiled, left non inverting, become focused on airtime. I-Box side is reprofiled, becomes the inverting side, focused on thrills. Put in elements like an inverted top hat over an airtime hill. Lion side just has a drop, Tiger side does the barrel roll drop.

BGT can really jump ahead of anything and really do something amazing if they do something like that.

Reactions: Dave / Pink
I've discussed this with @Nicole and decided it would be best to branch discussion for each of the separate rumored attractions featured in the recent Wild Gravity Travels and Behind the Thrills "leaks" into their own discussions in an attempt to not derail conversation regarding Busch Gardens Williamsburg's rumored "Project: Madrid."

If you have no idea what I am talking about, I suggest reading this excellent recap of the insanity that is this leak from OrlandoWeekly.com. It really covers everything you need to know about all of this mess. Just make sure if you want to comment on something specific about one of the rumored attractions that you go to the thread specific to that project.

The Projects:
While it might be difficult to separate these topics since they're so deeply intertwined due to the manner this rumor started, but I'm going to take a moment to recap and summarize rumors related to this individual project.

Here are the highlights regarding Busch Gardens Tampa's Project:

December 21, 1995
Anheuser-Busch closes their Tampa brewery that originally opened on March 31, 1959 along side one of multiple Busch Gardens bird gardens that would slowly transform into the Busch Gardens Tampa theme park we know today.

June 18, 1999
Busch Gardens Tampa Bay introduces an all new section of the park built on the site of the former brewery featuring an new "animal," Gwazi, a wild beast that is half-tiger and half-lion. A first the for chain, Busch Gardens partnered with Great Coasters International to build a wooden coaster to bring the African legend to life with a dueling double twister style coaster layout for what was essentially two individual roller coasters. When it debuted in 1999 it was one of few dueling coasters in existence. Riders would choose to board either the Lion or the Tiger. Each coaster's layout featured over 3,400 feet of track and consisted of six synchronized interactive moments where the trains would fly past each other through intertwining curves and flyovers.

January 22, 2011
Due to the extreme humidity and heat typical to Florida, Gwazi experiences significant deterioration contributing to a rough ride and lower average ridership. Busch Gardens Tampa reaches out to the rides creator GCI to make modifications to the ride and purchases the company's new Millennium Flyer trains to improve the overall ride experience. The ride reopens to the public featuring these new trains in January of 2011

December 2014
NewsPlusNotes explains it best...
NewsPlusNotes.com said:
There have been rumors swirling for some time now that Gwazi's days at Busch Gardens Tampa are numbered. It seems the recently announced cost-cutting measures at the SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment properties may have accelerated the plan to take the pair of wooden roller coasters into retirement.

The news was broken today by Screamscape, which reported in the morning that they had received word that Gwazi would be closing February 1st, and later in the day confirmed that news with Busch Gardens Tampa. The final date of operation may change, according to Screamscape, with an official announcement from the park forthcoming.

Gwazi, consisting of a Lion and Tiger side, opened in 1999 as one of Great Coasters International's largest projects to date. The pair of wood coasters dueled throughout the ride, including first drops that pass one another and other moments of interaction between the trains. The ride was never known for being smooth, and seemed to deteriorate over the seasons.

Millennium Flyer trains replaced the coasters' original PTC trains in 2011, which made some improvement - but apparently not enough for the park. Some time in 2012 the Tiger track was closed (in hindsight for good) with the loading station covered for access to the Lion track boarding area. The ride operated only one side since, limping along until what was predicted to be an eventual permanent closure. And that turned out to be right on the spot. The ride's maintenance, size, Florida's weather - there were a lot of contributing factors to Gwazi's demise it seems.

Screamscape's story points out that it may be some time until the rides are demolished, and as you can see in the aerial above they cover a lot of real estate at the theme park. Hopefully when the storm clouds eventually leave SeaWorlds Parks something amazing can take the ride's place.

February 2015
And it finally happens. BGT formally announces the ride will close for good on February 1, 2015. Rumors almost immediately begin to swirl regarding a possible rebuild by Rocky Mountain Construction after they successfully improve three deteriorated mood coasters for the SixFlags chain.

RMC continues to makeover three more old rides for Six Flags in the next several years along with two for the Cedar Fair chain in 2018. Rumors continue to circulate about Gwazi's future as the ride sits standing but not operating for three years with no sign of construction or demolition.

September 12, 2018
Wild Gravity Travels leaked their information from the slides everyone is talking about. In regards to BGT here is what they had to say:

Wild Gravity Travels said:
After today’s announcement we’ve learned that first tidbit we were going to share is true. Gwazi will be remade into what is described by sources as a “high thrill wooden hybrid. The picture shown when describing it is that of Steel Vengeance, we can pretty much confirm RMC Gwazi is happening especially with the subtle hinting already taking place. But the wording in the source info has me wondering if it will be IBOX (like Steel Vengeance) or topper track (like Lighting Rod)? To be a wooden hybrid they would have to use IBOX. So their word choice seems off or incorrect to me. As of now, expected to open April 2020 so expect work to begin very soon!

BGWFans.com reached out to Wild Gravity Travels directly to get more information:

I can't speak on it. I simply acted as a second pair of eyes on the source document to confirm WildGravityTravels wasn't pulling this stuff out of thin air.

September 17, 2018
Behind the Thrills basically states the same thing:
BehindTheThrills.com said:
Busch Gardens Tampa: The big talk here is of course, Gwazi. The coaster will finally be replaced, and all of the teases and hints point to Rocky Mountain Construction being the manufacturer. There are no details, and we don’t even know if it’s going to be a complete rebuild, or they’re going to use the current structure. It’s highly likely that they’ll go for complete rebuild, simply because the ride has been sitting for years now, and a lot of it has been repurposed for other attractions across the company.

Last edited:
Dn3mH7AWsAAJVRY.jpg:large

Another one of those "leaks".

This looks a lot like Steel Vengeance though.

Reactions: VikingvadR
Not the best article, but...

“A demolition permit was filed for the "Demolition of selected portions of an existing site structure, selected buildings, and portions of buildings" at Busch Gardens, according to city records.

“The description states that the demolition project involves six buildings and 10,250 square feet of indoor space.”

- Tampa Bay Business Journal

I'm super excited about this Gwazi revamp. I grew up riding that coaster along with many other BGT greats. I remember working in the park and walking by the structure everyday to get to my area and wishing and hoping that someday something will happen.

Reactions: Nicole and Zachary
Ahh poor Gwazi, from this pic you can see somewhat how bad she is looking, Florida humidity, heat on Gwazi NO BUENO, This pic is from freddy_grunner. I know everyone is hyped saying Gwazi get the RMC treatment which I would be excited too, but after being at IAAPA a few weeks back and seeing the GCI model with the steel supports, dueling coaster with barrel rolls, could that be what Gwazi becomes. I am only thinking about it but would like it also, so was the announcement just a throw off when he said Gwazi has had a rocky time.

Attachments

• or5pcotvxqz11.jpg
    or5pcotvxqz11.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: CastleOSullivan
Coaster Club released a snippet that gives the following criteria.

1. No longer dueling
2. New lift hill structure
3. 212 ft 91 degree drop (making it tallest and steepest hybrid in the world)

I don't know their source. However they are a news provider that usually doesn't just throw information willy nilly and usually gets it right. Not saying it is right (definitely take with a grain of salt) but it's definitely more trustworthy than Reddit.

Coaster Club released a snippet that gives the following criteria.

1. No longer dueling
2. New lift hill structure
3. 212 ft 91 degree drop (making it tallest and steepest hybrid in the world)

I don't know their source. However they are a news provider that usually doesn't just throw information willy nilly and usually gets it right. Not saying it is right (definitely take with a grain of salt) but it's definitely more trustworthy than Reddit.
Would explain why those leaked slides from a while back had a picture of steel vengeance instead of something like twisted collussus, if this is true it could give steel vengeance a run for it money and give BGT a new world-class coaster something it hasn’t had in a while.

Would explain why those leaked slides from a while back had a picture of steel vengeance instead of something like twisted collussus, if this is true it could give steel vengeance a run for it money and give BGT a new world-class coaster something it hasn’t had in a while.

SV is what? 210 with an 89 degree drop? So just barely outdoing them?

Reminds me of the 80/90’s race over 200’ where it was 1 more foot, 1 more MPH.

SV is what? 210 with an 89 degree drop? So just barely outdoing them?

Reminds me of the 80/90’s race over 200’ where it was 1 more foot, 1 more MPH.
That's how the roller coaster record chase is. Barely outdo the current holder unless you have created something entering into groundbreaking territory.

Reactions: warfelg
That's how the roller coaster record chase is. Barely outdo the current holder unless you have created something entering into groundbreaking territory.

Reason why it reminds me of it is we haven't had it in a while since the Hypercoaster races. The Gigacoaster race hasn't really taken off. I think part to blame is the strata coaster and part is the space/coast of building it. Maybe the Woodie Hypercoaster war is about to happen.

Reactions: Zimmy
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad