Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Their post on Instagram seems to say that the souvenirs are indeed legitimate pieces of Hurler:

On Instagram said:
Take home a piece of history! You can now purchase and take home a piece of our former coaster, Hurler, at KD Outfitters, Plaza Gifts, Congo Thrills or the Rock Shop.

Reactions: jornor and Zachary
remember all those pieces of the Berlin Wall for sale in the mid 90s? Many turned out to be ordinary concrete.

Reactions: John
I have found a video of hurler that shows it with no trims from 1995. It actually looks quite fun.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It was a ton of fun as a new ride. Good sense of speed and lots of solid floater airtime. Seemingly zero laterals as I recall, due to the banking of the ride's turnarounds. Different but not disqualifying. An excellent choice to marathon for a while, save for the walk through the queue which was a chore.

At that time, I don't think I had ever ridden a smoother wood coaster than Hurler.

Things changed...

I never got the chance to ride hurler but if it was anywhere near as bad as mean streak (which I rode) then I would've hated it

I never got the chance to ride hurler but if it was anywhere near as bad as mean streak (which I rode) then I would've hated it
It was arguably worse. The ride did nothing exciting, at all. It literally milled around a field while the train vibrated and jackhammered against the track. My best moment on the ride was going down the first drop with my hands up only to hit a pothole causing my whole body to shift to the left of the train and for my head to slam into my friends. They could’ve converted Hurler into green space and that still would’ve been superior to having that monstrosity continue to operate.

This ride may have gotten rougher before being converted, but it was not all that unpleasant and gave a good sense of what a traditional woody feels like.

To me, I think some of things people complain about with roughness on a woody are part of their charm - they aren't smooth as steel, and that's the point.

I enjoyed it until the trim brake was added in 2010, after which it was useless, and by the time they closed it was even rougher, trimmed to barely moving, than ever before. The complaints were eventually warranted, years after they started. Previous to that, it was rough but easy to learn to ride (did you really expect not to be thrown to the side going into a turn right out of the drop?). I usually rode it 5x when I made the hike all the way down there every other visit or so.

I have never heard anyone else rave about the last turn which shows how unobservant enthusiasts are that render judgement on the first bump. It felt like it stretched and then sprung back throwing you out of the turn. Lovely.

Mean Streak is the only proof I have of the existence of my own brain. I clearly felt it smashing into the sides of my skull while riding.

I literally, no joking aside, felt this same sensation (ie- concussion) while riding the Rebel Yell.

I had a decent wooden coaster roughness tolerance. Hurler at Carowinds and Thunderhawk at Dorney, while overtrimmed, were only the "bouncy" kind of rough. Hershey's Wildcat was noticeably rougher. I've only gotten "boneshaking" roughness at Six Flags over Georgia (Georgia Cyclone closing weekend, and Great American Scream Machine wasn't running too well either, I guess I got a wheel seat).

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad