Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Unlikely. They did this for "national scavenger hunt day" which was a good excuse for them to do another scavenger hunt.

I do think they'll have more scavenger hunts as the egg and now spoon seemed fairly successful; but I don't think it'll be done again soon like the Easter eggs. Maybe they'll do one in July with a prize of priority seating for summer nights shows and maybe HoS/ChristmasTown
I could see them doing one every event that ties in. Actually I could see them doing a few during CT because they could say that Santa hid presents or something.

Thank you for that Spreadsheet! We are going the 8th and are trying to decide if we should do the sampler. Looks like it will still be worth it for the beer.

Can you specify what you want to use your sampler for and then pay for the remainder or do you have to ring up sampler and out of pocket items separately?

Anyone have any info on the Tequila tasting?

Reactions: Zachary and Zimmy
Can you specify what you want to use your sampler for and then pay for the remainder or do you have to ring up sampler and out of pocket items separately?

To avoid potential confusion, I always do two separate orders—normally with me handling one payment method and the other person I'm at the park with handling the other.

You have to have them on two separate transactions but it seems fairly common. I was doing that this past weekend and they didn't bat an eye. I just told them that I wanted to use my sampler for x and the pay for z.

Reactions: Suswa and Zachary
It seems adenine that you have to do such a thing to get a good deal. Perhaps the SeaWorld parks were too cheap with theirs, but being able to get a good deal and just punch away is something I enjoyed about those events.

Excellent as usual..

It may be cost/time prohibitive, but it would be interesting to come up with a way to have a consistency score for food and wine dishes..

For example, if you get a dish three separate days and every day it's awesome, it gets a high score and vice versa if the quality varies greatly.

Similarly, it would be nice if dishes that got low ratings but in subsequent visits were awesome could be averaged in somehow..

There is legitimately no way to conduct longitudinal research:
  1. Some members of the team live in NOVA, and multiple trips to the F&WF would be onerous.
  2. It is not cheap to buy everything at the event for six people. We try to split samples, but we often have to purchase multiple plates.
  3. No one wants to eat that much food more than once a year.
  4. Such an approach would postpone publication of the review, which would render the article mostly useless.

Reactions: Suswa and BGWnut
All excellent and valid points.

It's just one of those "if time, budget and calorie count were irrelevant" sort of things...

It does make me wonder though what research BGW themselves do on their own event. For instance, many entities in the food industry employ random consistency checks, taste tests, etc. I would think it to be in BGW's interest to figure out inconsistencies and take course corrections.

All of the prices are now in the spreadsheet.
Bless you @Nicole this spreadsheet was a lifesaver. Thank you for the hard work. Printed it and we went by it to decide what to use the vouchers for versus using or discount. We ended up getting 24 food items, paying for 18 of them, and spending only $77.40 with our season pass discount. We didn't get any beer or wine but based on food alone we came out better doing the season pass and freebies versus buying a 15 item sampler lanyard. Any beer or wine would tilt it in the direction of the lanyard being the better deal. Hope you continue doing this in future years.

So we went and enjoyed the Food and Wine Festival this past weekend. We got 24 food samples across all the booths except for Virginia, Japan, and Desserts. Didn't do any beer, wine, or specialty drinks. This was our fifth year at the event and I have to say it seemed the busiest we've ever seen it. All of the items we purchased were the freshest and most consistently made as advertised of any year we've been. Everything we had was delicious but the beignets and gamma fritters were probably the best of what we had. The mushroom risotto was delicious as well as the bangers. Below are some photos of the dishes we had.

20190601_194448.jpg 20190601_210103.jpg 20190601_123534.jpg 20190601_123542.jpg 20190602_130724.jpg 20190601_115428.jpg 20190602_114324.jpg
View attachment 15965 20190602_143345.jpg

Attachments

• 20190531_123040.jpg
    20190531_123040.jpg
    862.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190601_194448.jpg
    20190601_194448.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Visited yesterday and had three things. The cuban sandwich from Cuba, the beignets from the French Quarter and the Guinness chocolate mousse from Ireland. I was expecting to be disappointed by the cuban sandwich since I was recently in Key West so I was pleasantly surprised! The one I had was a reasonable approximation of an authentic cuban sandwich. The beignets were tasty, as usual, and the chocolate mousse was fabulous. I actually only got about 1/4 of the mousse because my 7 yr old snatched it and ate the rest because she loved it so much!

Repeats can change meaning. A number of languages do this. (In Chinese for instance the way you say baby is just the 'word' for child repeated twice. In Chinese repetition adds a degree of familiarity or cuteness (best way I know to describe))

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad