Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Good answer. FoF always felt faster going through the inversions. But to each is own.

Back to what I was saying last week about Cedar Fair investing in the indoor ride department. I believe the park could benefit huge from it. This was experimented with back during the Paramount operation days when the park received Scooby-Doo Boos Blasters and Italian Job Stunt Coaster. Back when all the SFX worked for Stunt Coaster; it was a good ride. Given the fact, it sits so close to Flight of Fear; always pinches my thought of Premier doing something much bigger for the indoor ride department. As I've said; they have a great success in this department.

Since we are in the jungle theme; why not consider doing the Animal Kingdom approach and give us Dinosaurs? Let's consider the amount of space that Anaconda currently sits on. If Stunt Coaster and Anaconda were removed for a half indoor/outdoor attraction; I'd say that a time travel theme with Dinosaurs would be cool. Seeing Premier Rides do this would be fun.

Thoughts?

Cedar Point had both a hit and a complete flop in Disaster Transport. They didn't really get the story nailed down but, more importantly, they seemed to have no interest in maintaining the theme which ultimately made it flop even though it was well loved by many. I think that's why we've not see a dark ride at Cedar Point and why all Cedar Fair parks have been lacking in indoor rides. We're in a new era with KD, it seems..... and this could be really good for the whole chain if things go well. My prediction is that Backlot Stunt Coaster will be rethemed to some type of a jungle jeep tour and we might actually see a different show scene. I also still think FoF would make sense as some sort of jungle lab where Dr. Estrada (hopefully I got that right) conducts research -- this would allow the same feel of the ride to make sense while only making partial modifications to the theme.

Also, when it comes to the ride systems, you're really not looking at the coaster manufacturer. While theme elements connect in with the PLC controllers on the rides they generally are just triggers and then everything externally is the work of a different firm. Intamin is probably one of the few coaster manufacturers that actually does more of the show elements themselves but even they outsource a lot to other companies (or work with their customer's other contractors) as far as I'm aware. As an example, if BSC gets rethemed and a new show sequence produced there still would likely be very little interaction from Premier regarding that.

Cedar Point had both a hit and a complete flop in Disaster Transport. They didn't really get the story nailed down but, more importantly, they seemed to have no interest in maintaining the theme which ultimately made it flop even though it was well loved by many. I think that's why we've not see a dark ride at Cedar Point and why all Cedar Fair parks have been lacking in indoor rides. We're in a new era with KD, it seems..... and this could be really good for the whole chain if things go well. My prediction is that Backlot Stunt Coaster will be rethemed to some type of a jungle jeep tour and we might actually see a different show scene. I also still think FoF would make sense as some sort of jungle lab where Dr. Estrada (hopefully I got that right) conducts research -- this would allow the same feel of the ride to make sense while only making partial modifications to the theme.

Also, when it comes to the ride systems, you're really not looking at the coaster manufacturer. While theme elements connect in with the PLC controllers on the rides they generally are just triggers and then everything externally is the work of a different firm. Intamin is probably one of the few coaster manufacturers that actually does more of the show elements themselves but even they outsource a lot to other companies (or work with their customer's other contractors) as far as I'm aware. As an example, if BSC gets rethemed and a new show sequence produced there still would likely be very little interaction from Premier regarding that.

Good analysis.

Reactions: Coasternerd

While we can dissect the reasons why DT theming failed (or watch the YouTube videos on the topic), I think one key aspect of failure that's a good lesson moving forward if CF/KD were ever thinking of encapsulating an existing ride is that DT's building wasn't water-tight, thus preventing an inherently indoor coaster from operating in the rain.

The nice thing is that FoF was only ever designed to be indoors, meaning the show building was not a workaround for a ride reliability problem due to how the track collected sand or water... Which inherently is not an issue for any ride in the park to my knowledge.

While we can dissect the reasons why DT theming failed (or watch the YouTube videos on the topic), I think one key aspect of failure that's a good lesson moving forward if CF/KD were ever thinking of encapsulating an existing ride is that DT's building wasn't water-tight, thus preventing an inherently indoor coaster from operating in the rain.
This didn't cause the ride to become a flop though. It just was a really stupid move that didn't add any additional benefit over Avalanche Run regarding running in the rain but it certainly didn't damage the ride in any way. The reason for the indoor retheme was to keep sand off of the track and it did accomplish that very well.

Yes, no disagreement that it worked for keeping sand out. But the issue was they tried to do an immersive theme but didn't commit and let it more or less degrade over time (hence theming failure) as well as the fact it was obviously an indoor ride at that point... Yet couldn't run in the rain, which is an expectation of indoor attractions.

Basically, fun ride on it's own maybe, but all the stuff around it not being taken care of led to it's overall demise.

Back on topic, the only real parallel between DT and FoF is that they're indoor coasters... But at least FoF can operate during storms.

At least when it's raining. I was next in line to ride FoF when they shut it down due to thunderstorms.

At least when it's raining. I was next in line to ride FoF when they shut it down due to thunderstorms.
Lighting striking near by power supply units can cause surging you don't want to be sitting on something metal that is attached to those lines if that happens. It's a remote possibility bit it could happen.

Lighting striking near by power supply units can cause surging you don't want to be sitting on something metal that is attached to those lines if that happens. It's a remote possibility bit it could happen.
Isn't that what shielding is for?

Granted, no argument that being in one of the tallest metal buildings in a relatively flat area riding on top of tons of steel during a thunderstorm isn't exactly the safest thing, just surprised that would be the park's shutdown logic if accurate.

Isn't that what shielding is for?

Granted, no argument that being in one of the tallest metal buildings in a relatively flat area riding on top of tons of steel during a thunderstorm isn't exactly the safest thing, just surprised that would be the park's shutdown logic if accurate.
BGW use to shut down Europe in the Air for that reason. I would bet the odds are astronomically small but they aren't zero.

Let's consider that it has been a long time since the days of Disaster Transport. There has been a lot of cool special effects since that day. One can understand that regional theme park companies don't experiment too much with SFX because of the upkeep involved. It would probably fall on night maintenance and the last thing they want on their to-do-list are special effects that aren't operating properly. Nobody ever said you had to have a bunch of Universal level special effects. Let's just consider the easy thing. Visual appeal of your waiting experience on a Saturday. I really enjoyed the days when the hanger queue area was dark and had breathing space inside. But KD still commits every year to keep up the maze wall. If the maze wall wasn't there, I'd say that the hanger queue area could receive some cool appealing SFX. I'd really like to start see the park craft a cool story of the Bureau of Paranormal Activity.

Let's consider that it has been a long time since the days of Disaster Transport. There has been a lot of cool special effects since that day. One can understand that regional theme park companies don't experiment too much with SFX because of the upkeep involved. It would probably fall on night maintenance and the last thing they want on their to-do-list are special effects that aren't operating properly. Nobody ever said you had to have a bunch of Universal level special effects. Let's just consider the easy thing. Visual appeal of your waiting experience on a Saturday. I really enjoyed the days when the hanger queue area was dark and had breathing space inside. But KD still commits every year to keep up the maze wall. If the maze wall wasn't there, I'd say that the hanger queue area could receive some cool appealing SFX. I'd really like to start see the park craft a cool story of the Bureau of Paranormal Activity.

Considering Flight of Fear is shown on one of the “in-universe” Jungle X-Pedition maps, I’m confident that when they update the ride, they’ll abandon the alien and Bureau of Paranormal Activity entirely. It’ll almost definitely be themed to either one of the remaining temples (lion/tiger/panther or hawk/falcon) or something else related to the Whey Foundation storyline (such as a jungle research laboratory as @CoasterTalkBob has brilliantly suggested).

I think they should keep the alien theme. That's what people have always known it to be. There could be a military base in the jungle, that was doing research on something that had crashed. Like most government agencies, they operate inside military bases, which is why the Bureau of Paranormal Activity is there. I'd like to see the outdoor queue spiel updated with a cool radio broadcast. In my opinion, it's time to take down the maze wall, so the indoor queue can have better theming. Would be cool to see the indoor hanger have different stations where meteorite fragments are being experimented on. If the hanger area is dark, the meteorites could illuminate different colors.

As for the ride itself, I'd incorporate similar elements. Is it too much to ask for fog to be in the launch tunnel? The event building also needs new ride theme music.

Riding yesterday, the lap bar tightened shortly after launch and dug into my thighs for most the ride. This was seriously uncomfortable and worse than most any ride on Skyrush in terms of leg pain. Not sure if this too common, but it was definitely a bad experience on what is usually a ride I find to have manageable restraints.

Riding yesterday, the lap bar tightened shortly after launch and dug into my thighs for most the ride. This was seriously uncomfortable and worse than most any ride on Skyrush in terms of leg pain. Not sure if this too common, but it was definitely a bad experience on what is usually a ride I find to have manageable restraints.
The restraints on FoF/JJ are kinda weird, but I love that there's not OTSRs so I deal with it. I've never had that happen, though. If it did I'm sure that would not be fun.

As far as FoF vs JJ, I like them both. FoF wins for being indoor and ... JJ wins for being outdoor. There's advantages to both.

In general these launched spaghetti bowl coasters are a lot of fun and maybe underrated

Reactions: CoasterTalkBob
The restraints on FoF/JJ are kinda weird, but I love that there's not OTSRs so I deal with it. I've never had that happen, though. If it did I'm sure that would not be fun.

As far as FoF vs JJ, I like them both. FoF wins for being indoor and ... JJ wins for being outdoor. There's advantages to both.

In general these launched spaghetti bowl coasters are a lot of fun and maybe underrated
That is cause when they decided there was so much head banging when it had OTSR that it was uncomfortable and possibly even dangerous.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad