Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Let's see, a direct access to the new ride and, assuming they figured out how to work a shop or two plus F&B (Festhaus Cafe with to-go sandwiches and beverages maybe?) they could spin the idea as revenue generating since you're not able to bypass money makers when using that stop. However, I'd be curious to see what that does to crowd flow in the area considering how Caribou sometimes overflows waiting to get on the platform.

But it's really the walking distance that matters to a guest, and it is absolutely a hike between the Festhaus and Invadr if you use only guest-accessible paths.

Really random, but there are city planning studies done on time for transit vs walking and what people would be willing to do. I would love to do this study for people riding vs walking Tweedside -> Festa and the time it takes. Usually if the wait is longer than the walk, more people would be willing to walk is what the study concluded.

Reactions: halfabee
Really random, but there are city planning studies done on time for transit vs walking and what people would be willing to do. I would love to do this study for people riding vs walking Tweedside -> Festa and the time it takes. Usually if the wait is longer than the walk, more people would be willing to walk is what the study concluded.

But is that usually determined by human nature as a whole, or could the fact you're in a theme park undermine the thought process?

Thinking in normal operations, what is the average wait time guests typically expect there to be plus how long does a typical trip take vs their expectations for just walking between the given stops? And then actually observing guests, how close do their perceptions mirror reality?

But is that usually determined by human nature as a whole, or could the fact you're in a theme park undermine the thought process?

Thinking in normal operations, what is the average wait time guests typically expect there to be plus how long does a typical trip take vs their expectations for just walking between the given stops? And then actually observing guests, how close do their perceptions mirror reality?

Typically in these studies they find circumstances don't change behavior. I can point to these studies are reflected in every day life. Mall design is partially based in this. Bus lines, train lines, subway lines. Heck even store layouts are all based in these studies of human movement.

Lets take this example:
Bus stations tend to be 1.5 miles apart on the same line (IIRC). Reasoning? These studies have concluded that people will wait up to 10 minutes to go that distance. But when you are inside that distance, the human perception is that walking would be quicker.

So if you scale that down to BGW size:
It takes you 3 minutes to walk from Tweedside to Festa, or you can stand/wait 5 minutes for the train, 3 minutes for it to leave, and get to Festa in 1 minute, 2 minutes to get off.

Now think of Festa -> Germany. Wait 5ish minutes for the train, 3 for it to leave, 2 minutes to Germany, 2 minutes to get off vs the 6 plus uphill to get from Festa to Germany, those two stops would be high use.

But then Germany -> Carabu would see lower usage because of the same Tweedside to Festa issue of the wait and time to transit and get off might be more than walking.

Of course this doesn't account for the percent of people that don't care and are looking for a break from walking. But that's usually accounted for in these studies. Basically if you look at anything in terms of human movement, geographers have studied it and it's why things are designed the way they are. What's funny is you can see this in action on just about any college campus: Go to the quad and see how many dirt paths criss cross the grass to see how humans prefer the quickest mode of A-B rather than the path provided.

Reactions: Jonesta6
Typically in these studies they find circumstances don't change behavior. I can point to these studies are reflected in every day life. Mall design is partially based in this. Bus lines, train lines, subway lines. Heck even store layouts are all based in these studies of human movement.

Lets take this example:
Bus stations tend to be 1.5 miles apart on the same line (IIRC). Reasoning? These studies have concluded that people will wait up to 10 minutes to go that distance. But when you are inside that distance, the human perception is that walking would be quicker.

So if you scale that down to BGW size:
It takes you 3 minutes to walk from Tweedside to Festa, or you can stand/wait 5 minutes for the train, 3 minutes for it to leave, and get to Festa in 1 minute, 2 minutes to get off.

Now think of Festa -> Germany. Wait 5ish minutes for the train, 3 for it to leave, 2 minutes to Germany, 2 minutes to get off vs the 6 plus uphill to get from Festa to Germany, those two stops would be high use.

But then Germany -> Carabu would see lower usage because of the same Tweedside to Festa issue of the wait and time to transit and get off might be more than walking.

Of course this doesn't account for the percent of people that don't care and are looking for a break from walking. But that's usually accounted for in these studies. Basically if you look at anything in terms of human movement, geographers have studied it and it's why things are designed the way they are. What's funny is you can see this in action on just about any college campus: Go to the quad and see how many dirt paths criss cross the grass to see how humans prefer the quickest mode of A-B rather than the path provided.

That makes a lot of sense - I guess I was thinking more like Action Park where the onus of safety is as much on the guest as it was the park in the how the attractions were conceived and constructed; problem was that guests generally thought they were in an insulated world inside an amusement park that nothing bad could happen to them.

Similar logic here - the realities of time and distance are extremely distorted so that for any able-bodied individual the train is almost never the most optimal mode of transportation yet it still remains a popular option.

I have been waiting for a Festhaus station since I started going to BG in 2015. Unless I’m booking it to a show, I’d wait quite awhile not to have to slog through the park, especially in the dog days of summer.

The main reason I want a fourth station is because of how asymmetrically the current stations are laid out. Currently it's like this:

Caribou---Tweedside--Festa--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Caribou

The main reason I want a fourth station is because of how asymmetrically the current stations are laid out. Currently it's like this:

Caribou---Tweedside--Festa--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Caribou
So I looked this up earlier. The railroad has about 1.5 miles of track. Divided evenly, that's just under 2,000 ft between stations. If Caribou was the starting point, Tweedside is roughly where it should be, Festa should be alongside the Rapids lift/HOS maze, and a Germany station should be about where the DF maintenance bay is.

Reactions: Dave / Pink
If they added the stop I personally would be less likely to ride. My most frequently used leg is festa to carabu. I’ve never done carabu to tweedside.

If they added another stop, I would be less likely to ride as well. I personally like the long stretch from Festa Italia to New France. They're two polar opposite parts of the park and I like that the train can take you there in one step.

I also like being on the train for awhile as a ride, the stops being honestly a headache and boring. I like to take the train around the park a full time before actually getting off at the stop I feel like.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I finally got around to uploading this video. It’s the blue train going backwards out of Caribou.

I can just hear it now... "Blue Train to Railroad and Caribou, Blue Train is 10-18 on the Mainline... Railroad 10-4... Caribou 10-4..."

Last edited:
For a layman like me, what's 10-18 mean - assuming it's either headed into or out of the service track?

Reactions: ludmarco
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad