Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: BGW Attendance Drops 3.4%

Though I won't say Scout is totally right, the number of AP holders is higher than you would ever think.

Consider retirees who could live in Virginia, but say, have a DVC membership that allows them to go down 4 times a year. If these people would want to go to see Illuminations and ride the Rock n' Roller Coaster every time they go, that's where the season pass becomes justified.

My parents have a DVC membership to do just this thing. I know it's not rare, considering they market packages like this.

Disney gets their attendance with combined in-state, out of state, and even international APs, along with it being a resort that happens to be synonymous with theme park resorts. Cedar Point is an Ohio Disneyland, not the other way around Busch is for daytrippers, weekenders, and the 12 people who do Colonial Williamsburg and BGW as a week trip.

Okay, fair enough, but here's some circumstantial evidence to support my claim that the park is primarily made for ad funded by once-in-a-while tourists:

As of the last time I went to Busch Gardens (2010), the BGW park brochure said something to the effect of "Welcome to Busch Gardens." This makes sense because all you need is a simply greeting. People haven't been saving up for years or waiting for their daughter's fifth birthday to make the trip or something similar. They probably live within reasonable driving distance and are just stopping in for the day. So, "Welcome" is sufficient. As of the last time I went to Disney World, however (2006), the park brochure said "You're Finally Here!" A bit of an odd word choice for a park mostly visited by "regulars" wouldn't you say?

PayneTrain said:
Though I won't say Scout is totally right, the number of AP holders is higher than you would ever think.

Consider retirees who could live in Virginia, but say, have a DVC membership that allows them to go down 4 times a year. If these people would want to go to see Illuminations and ride the Rock n' Roller Coaster every time they go, that's where the season pass becomes justified.

My parents have a DVC membership to do just this thing. I know it's not rare, considering they market packages like this.

Disney gets their attendance with combined in-state, out of state, and even international APs, along with it being a resort that happens to be synonymous with theme park resorts. Cedar Point is an Ohio Disneyland, not the other way around Busch is for daytrippers, weekenders, and the 12 people who do Colonial Williamsburg and BGW as a week trip.

That just boils down to Busch's attendance slack a few years ago to introduce the fun card. Disney has yet to see that due to the nature of the ENTIRE property as you said.

oyeatwentytwodaystillisignthedottedlinethereforDVC

doctormoneymd said:
Okay, fair enough, but here's some circumstantial evidence to support my claim that the park is primarily made for ad funded by once-in-a-while tourists:

As of the last time I went to Busch Gardens (2010), the BGW park brochure said something to the effect of "Welcome to Busch Gardens." This makes sense because all you need is a simply greeting. People haven't been saving up for years or waiting for their daughter's fifth birthday to make the trip or something similar. They probably live within reasonable driving distance and are just stopping in for the day. So, "Welcome" is sufficient. As of the last time I went to Disney World, however (2006), the park brochure said "You're Finally Here!" A bit of an odd word choice for a park mostly visited by "regulars" wouldn't you say?

Keep in mind that some people view something far away as something difficult to do. I used to see it as that when I was younger and my aunt still sees it as that. She spends more for a week trip once every three years than what we do four times a year and we go all out. If you research and don't pay the bonked over the head airfare you're much better. It is all in the planning.

ArrowWolf1984 said:
ScoutN said:
Did you really not hear the commercials ALL over Va? I got tired of hearing them every commercial break.

How far is their broadcasting range for those ads?

I remember seeing commercials for both BGW and BGT airing in New York State (Where I Live). Though this was a few years ago and I haven't seen any ad campaigns for BG recently.

I live in Greenville NC (Eastern NC) and we had Mach Tower commercials on local channels recently. Before that we had the occasional BGW commercial which was directly to NC residents only. This commercial is still aired. It is pointing out people from different NC towns and cities riding rides at the park. I do not really believe these people are from NC but it is an effective ad for bringing Eastern North Carolinians to BGW. BGW and KD are closer than Carowinds in Charlotte to me so this region of the state is a great location for BGW to advertise to.

Just a small note on this topic. When I was there yesterday, you could tell that they were expecting to be busy. The weather was great, it wasn't too hot, and it's the middle of July. They had everything fully staffed like they would on the weekends, but the people just weren't there. Compared to past years during the week, the park was dead yesterday. I could see them ending up with some bad attendance numbers again this year as well. :-/

Swiftman said:
Just a small note on this topic. When I was there yesterday, you could tell that they were expecting to be busy. The weather was great, it wasn't too hot, and it's the middle of July. They had everything fully staffed like they would on the weekends, but the people just weren't there. Compared to past years during the week, the park was dead yesterday. I could see them ending up with some bad attendance numbers again this year as well. :-/

Not that I want BGW to fail or anything, but that might not be terrible news. In the first place, I'm going this upcoming week, and would like to see a return to the quieter, peaceful BG I grew to love, and second, maybe they'll take lower attendance as a sign that people don't like crappy changes like going from 3 Irish attractions in Ireland to 1 Irish attraction.

Probably just wishful thinking though, and it will convince them that they need to build a super-extreme-eyeballs-pop-out-BLAST COASTER!!!!!111 to "keep up" with King's Dominion.

Swiftman said:

It's been like this most of the summer.

doctormoneymd said:
Probably just wishful thinking though, and it will convince them that they need to build a super-extreme-eyeballs-pop-out-BLAST COASTER!!!!!111 to "keep up" with King's Dominion.

Despite all the additions KD has been getting over the last few years they still don't get the attendance numbers that BGW does.

I wonder how KD's numbers are... They sure are trying hard with their advertising around my area.

Youhow2 said:
I wonder how KD's numbers are... They sure are trying hard with their advertising around my area.

Interested to see these numbers as well...

I think BG is getting a bad rep locally right now and not getting the repeat business they might normally. All the GP sees is a popular ride go away. A new ride continually delayed. They think it must be open since they saw all those ads in April and May, they show up and they feel decieved. Prices go up. Ownership and management changes in the papers. The traditionally "cheapskate" park up the road getting a good stream of new stuff the last several years. (Dominator, I305, Starlight Express, etc.)

They HAVE to get MT going really soon and the new coaster HAS to be open and running flawlessly on opening day of 2012. If that happens AND perhaps a new show as good as Celtic Fyre, then we will probably see this turn around IMO.

I have heard countless people I know (all GP) tell me how they hear/think the park is going downhill since the sell. Most of them think that Europe in the Air, the removal of the Wolf, and the constant reaching of capacity last year was all Blackstone's fault. Some of them have been there since, some of them haven't. The park's reputation, at least locally, seems to have dropped tremendously.

I can see that, hopefully next year the public's view will be repaired somewhat when Mach Tower will be up (I can't say that with a straight face) and the 2012 coaster. Also looking at bringing back Pirates, one might be hopeful that Corkscrew Hill might make a return.

If Verbomentum isnt good, you'll hear "They took out the wolf, FOR THAT!!!!" And quite frankly the layout looks like it sucks... Cant judge yet exactly, but doesnt look really appealing other than the fact it is apparently heavily themed.

It looks more substantial than Griffon and that's all I can ask for at this point.

Swiftman said:
I have heard countless people I know (all GP) tell me how they hear/think the park is going downhill since the sell. Most of them think that Europe in the Air, the removal of the Wolf, and the constant reaching of capacity last year was all Blackstone's fault. Some of them have been there since, some of them haven't. The park's reputation, at least locally, seems to have dropped tremendously.

I'll be the first to say I rarely go to the park during the summer. The spring and fall is where I rack my visitor count.

I'm with you ScoutN. The only reason I've been going lately has been to get Mach Tower and 2012 updates. The good thing is that so far, we've been having pretty mild weather compared to past years. You'd think the park would be packed.

Also, I just heard that the park has had to begin cutting back on employee hours and even sending people scheduled to work back home because the attendance just isn't there so far this year.

Swiftman said:
I'm with you ScoutN. The only reason I've been going lately has been to get Mach Tower and 2012 updates. The good thing is that so far, we've been having pretty mild weather compared to past years. You'd think the park would be packed.

Also, I just heard that the park has had to begin cutting back on employee hours and even sending people scheduled to work back home because the attendance just isn't there so far this year.

Pft I would say every other few days has been mild. At least in the "seven" cities. We have been killed with heat.

Attendance is slacking locally for sure. I know SEVERAL people that have cancelled their passes and decide to venture down south to the big names. I think people are seeing the buyout as more than it is…. YET

A close friend of mine put his two weeks in since he started getting 25% of the hours he did last year.

This is my 10th straight year of being a pass member. I too feel the park has gone down since the removal of the wolf. I havent yet thought about not getting a season pass. If the new coaster doesn't change the current trend, I may start considering.

For me, my pass is used most during fall. Best time to go IMO. I too have noticed people not going as much as they used too. Most say they are getting tired of the current ride selection and want something new.

And I can not stand EITA. Biggest waste of money/area yet. If the picture quality was even just alittle better, it would be passable.

I know its been said before, but I feel the golden years are long gone.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad