Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
A RMC redo to either hurler or grizzly would be awesome, I think 2015 will somehow focus on Volcano's Mountain. I see a copy of Canada's Wonderland's Wonder Mountain Guardian.

That mountain is pierced with a hundred coaster supports. It's very much like a giant pin cushion. From the inside, it looks like a framed up office building without drywall. If there was any way to engineer a ride into that mountain, it would instantly be the 8th wonder of the world. 2015 will bring focus on the mountain, but I'm pretty sure that focus will be limited to a couple hundred gallons of paint.

^^Now that is completely possible. The Time Shaft was nothing more than a carnival ride with excellent theme and surroundings.

Mazakman said:
^^Now that is completely possible. The Time Shaft was nothing more than a carnival ride with excellent theme and surroundings.

Good luck finding an operating Rotor these days, or if any are still around a park willing to part with them.

Reactions: wombat96
Why does it have to be in a park already? Any semi intelligent engineer could build a new one in his/her backyard with the help of a fabrication shop and some electric motors.

Carowinds needed some love. I feel like they're close to the bottom of the Cedar Fair line up.

I don't see a coaster, but a golden ride making a return is possible. As previously noted, a transportation ride is very likley considering the park has none. The train or the Sky ride are both great choices. The time shaft is possible, but that ride seems to make more people sick than anything, and I cant imagine theyd want extra janitors to clean up vomit every few hours.

When it comes to Coasters Matt O Said CF is looking to fill gaps in each parks coaster line up.
What gaps does Kings Dominion have?
B&M invert?
RMC convert of grizzly or Hurler?
Wing Rider or 4D?
GCI?
Mega Lite Intamin, Mack or Chance?
Multi Launcher Maverick/Cheetah Chase?

They already have a multi-launch coaster fit for families and a launch coaster fit for regular guests, I really have doubts the next coaster will be launched. KD could really do with a good B&M Invert that could compete with Alpengeist or they might be better off going the Cedar Point route and redesigning their front entrance and make it play with a Wing Rider. Another woodie or launcher really seems out of place at a park with most of its line-up being wood and launched (4 woods, 3 launchers standing already) unless they decide to remove one of that kind.

Reactions: MAZ and Nicole
It is interesting to come up with suggestions what our next coaster type will be.

I always like to mess with people and say "Kings Dominion is getting a new coaster!" Everyone jumps and asks what are we getting next year. I tell them, "Who says we are getting a coaster next year?"

Well, you said we are getting a new coaster! Yes, we are getting a new coaster. Sometime in the future; its 100% guarranted! ;-)

All kidding aside, I just don't think a new coaster is in the plans for 2015. I think that a new coaster will happen within the next 2/3 years. I am still sticking with three possible attraction scenarios for 2015. At this point, we don't have any clues pointing to any of these 2015 possibilities in particular; so I am just listing them in no particular order.

1) Dark Ride a la CW's Guardian. [Cedar Fair's CEO Matt Quimet did say they wanted to build more of these rides throughout the park chain. The latest rumor is for Knotts to get one in 2015. Course, we know that KD is in a multi-year renovation of Volcano. Whose to say the park could add on more structure to the existing mountain and house the dark ride there?]

2) Water Park renovation and expansion. [Cedar Fair has been on a roll over the last 2-3 seasons expanding and renovating their water parks across the chain. This includes KI, Dorney, Carowinds, and either WOF or Valley Fair. Given the heavy use of KD's Water Works, it needs some loving and more attractions].

3) KD's 40th celebration concludes in 2015 with the return of 2-3 former flat rides (or modern day equivalent). This might include some sort of in-park transportation system like the sky-ride cable cars or the steam train.

These are my top 3 things that could happen for 2015. Hopefully, we might get some clues from the park in early to mid August.

mwhinva said:
Given the heavy use of KD's Water Works, it needs some loving and more attractions.

They need a real bathroom in the section behind the Rebel Yell. That whole section of the park has 1 bathroom with 2 stalls in it!

Reactions: Shane
I really don't see an RMC coaster in the cards at all, as much as I would love one in this market, Six Flags appears to have a lock down on RMC, Cedar Fair seems to be having a B&M love fest right now. mwhinva, I think you hit it on the head; though I think your option 1 is less likely, I think we will see one of these new dark rides at Cedar Point. KD needs one, but I think MAJOR capital improvement for Cedar Fair is going to be heading to Carowinds not KD. options 2 and 3 seem very very likely to me.

Reactions: Nicole
Kings Island said:
When it comes to Coasters Matt O Said CF is looking to fill gaps in each parks coaster line up.
What gaps does Kings Dominion have?
B&M invert?
RMC convert of grizzly or Hurler?
Wing Rider or 4D?
GCI?
Mega Lite Intamin, Mack or Chance?
Multi Launcher Maverick/Cheetah Chase?

Is a B&M invert actually a gap or could we make the category wider as invert? Many guest ask me about what are we getting new for "next year". Firstly, I don't know anything about what we are getting next year, but I always talk to them about how we don't really need anything, and any ride added is only going to add to our line-up. Then the conversation switches to destroying Hurler and Grizzly (I actually like Grizzles).

Anyways, we have an invert (full circuit launching one at that), we have a B&M floorless, dark coaster, 4 woodies, a giga, standup, family multi-launch, Arrow looper, and bobsled.

Some of the rides we have are even distinct not in record, but in ride experience. While many believe that we need a new attraction every few years, I think (personally) what we have is a solid line-up (this is coming from a guy who loves B&M inverts).

With that said, if I had any choice on what my home park would receive, I would be interested in either a Volcano makeover or a terrain-coaster.

Reactions: Zachary and Nicole
Does KD even have the proper land in order to make an interesting terrain coaster? I'm sure they'd have to do a ton of terraforming in order to something with their land?

If I were the Czar of KD
1. Remove the horrible water park. Consider rebuilding it somewhere in the back 40 as a separate park.
2. Bring back as much of the lake as possible.
3. Install a new Woodie, just cause.
4. Invest in wildlife preservation and bring back the tram. Use it to connect the 2 parks.
5. Skyride, Skyride, Skyride
6. King Kobra for nostalgia. (there has to be one in storage somewhere)
EDIT
7. Shockwave... BURN IT WITH FIRE. If melting it down on location turns out to be a sub optimal solution, scrap it.
8. The new Woodie goes where that abomination used to stand.

b.mac said:
Does KD even have the proper land in order to make an interesting terrain coaster? I'm sure they'd have to do a ton of terraforming in order to something with their land?

KD has HUGE TRACKS OF LAND!

Reactions: MAZ and wombat96
theexpozay said:
If I were the Czar of KD
1. Remove the horrible water park.  Consider rebuilding it somewhere in the back 40 as a separate park.
2.  Bring back as much of the lake as possible.

If this were realistically possible, I'd love it. I do recall having a discussion with Evan about how this would just not be in any way financially or physically possible within reasonable means. You can't just pick up everything (or everything worth saving, which eliminates a lot of things...) in the front half WaterWorks and move it to the back. There's a huge cost associated with dismantling/assembling the rides, rebuilding splash pools, building new landscaping and pathways, and new plumbing alone. This isn't to mention the opportunity cost of the land back there that could be developed for better things. Also, take a look at how high up Lake Charles is from the Lazy River and there is a good 20 to 30 feet in elevation change between the current lake and the waterpark. Somehow, it seems like the waterpark was built much lower than the lake was, so rebuilding it would require unheard of amounts of digging and water, which may be the biggest reason this won't happen. Also, because of the location of certain rides, namely Backlot Stunt Coaster, the lake would have an awkward shape that would require a lot of land to work around. There's just no way a lake can bring in more money than a water park, which is what it comes down to: the money. It's just not something that can really happen.

3.  Install a new Woodie, just cause.
No. Just no.

4.  Invest in wildlife preservation and bring back the tram.
Yes. Just yes.

5.  Skyride, Skyride, Skyride
Welcome to the club! ;)

6.  King Kobra for nostalgia.  (there has to be one in storage somewhere)
It's funny that you mention this. Until recently, the Greezed Lightnin' Shwarzkopf shuttle loop coaster at the former Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom was listed for sale at Rides4U.com for less than $300,000 which is insanely cheap for such a coaster, even at its age. It is no longer listed, so I imagine it has been sold (although it is not listed on RCDB), but it's incredibly surprising that such a large coaster can be sold for less than half a million dollars. Do note that Greezed Lightnin' used a flywheel launch instead of a drop weight launch like King Kobra.

Shockwave...  BURN IT WITH FIRE.  If melting it down on location turns out to be a sub optimal solution, scrap it.
I see you share your sister's hatred for Shockwave. :p As painful as it is, it is a very popular attraction which not only boosts the park's coaster variety, but is one of the park's most reliable coasters (I have never seen it go down, which is a rarity at KD) with huge amounts of spare parts still available from its sister coasters. To take it down would be somewhat wasteful, especially considering its relatively small footprint.

b.mac said:
KD has HUGE TRACKS OF LAND!

For one thing, Kings Dominion is built on mostly a gradual slope which, except for Old Virginia, is a pretty flat slope down to the southern end of the park. A terrain coaster would require massive amounts of dirt and reshaping of the land, since KD doesn't have the hilly terrain for a proper terrain coaster. There's a reason KD is notorious for "parking lot" coasters. Also, the park does have room, but not as much as you'd think. The land behind Hurler is bisected by power and electrical lines, and beyond that KD doesn't own the land. The rest of the land is beyond the water park, which without a massive park expansion would make for a poor choice for a new coaster.

Still, I like the ideas! In a perfect world, I would definitely share the same thoughts in many cases. Oh well. Baby steps... ;)

Just an FYI....The park owns 600 acres on the other side of the tracks adjacent to the exit road (Where the campground lies). In those woods just beyond the open field where the new 'to be installed' cabins are sitting, is a wooded wonderland of streams, ravines, rock faces, hills and meadows. It is like an un-discovered BGW back there only twice as large. But why would we need two BG's :)

So it's pretty much like Great Adventure with some epic undiscovered terrain way too far off for the park to use effectively.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad