Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond
The mat racer would be fun. they could order it in the original colors of the long gone big slide from CAG! I wont lie though, I want a watercoaster and bathroom the most :) Let us know if you hear anything solid mwhinva!

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
I agree with Mazakman. There is plenty of room in the mid-waterpark plaza adjacent to Sharkey's for an expanded bathroom/locker room/locker complex. Definitely a much needed addition.

Jul 22, 2014
Virginia Tech
Hello all, long time reader on here and a frequent poster on other forums, but decided to finally sign up. I was the one that found the WaterWorks/Soak City slide on the page earlier this week.

2015 update

Either they are happy they got the tease out and/or they realized how that people noticed the Soak City logo - it is gone from the advertisement now. I'm still confident with 2015 being a transformation and renovation of WaterWorks to Soak City. I've attached the two images to compare.

Someone from another forum emailed them and asked about it, and they replied "The image that you're referring to was simply a graphic design error", but take that for what it's worth because obviously they aren't going to say "Yup, that's what we're doing for 2015".

WaterWorks is getting additions next year (and other 40th Celebration improvements), but it is a question of will it be renamed? And if it is, what will it be called?

Attachments

• KD---Waterpark---Rotator.jpg
    KD---Waterpark---Rotator.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 23
  • kd_waterpark_rotator.jpg
    kd_waterpark_rotator.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 21

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
I am surprised WaterWorks won't be renamed Boomerang Bay like at the other former Paramount parks. Unless of course the double-logo slide truly was a mistake.

Reactions: wombat96
Jul 22, 2014
Virginia Tech
^ That's doubtful in my opinion considering Kings Island switched from the Boomerang Bay name and theme to Soak City back in 2012. If WaterWorks gets a re-theme, I definitely think it will be Soak City.

However, I do love the idea of bringing back the original name, Hurricane Reef, in honor of the 40th Celebration next season like they did with Candy Apple Grove and Safari Village.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I would love to see a return of a shoot the chute ride and maybe a refresh of the log flume.

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
As much as I would love another dry-park water ride, I don't know how likely a return of the shoot the chutes ride would be. The park is kind of at a need for space right now and almost certainly a ride would have to give for a shoot the chutes ride. Keep in mind Diamond Falls was built into Lake Charles and the space was later filled in for Backlot Stunt Coaster. I can't see the park removing an existing ride for a chute the shoots. I've always thought the land between Avalanche's station and Crypt's queue would make a good space for a water ride, but since nothing has ever been there I guess that's not an option.

Most people may not have noticed, but there have been subtle changes to Shenandoah Lumber Company for the 40th celebration. Flower beds have been added to the area surrounding the final drop. More importantly, a lot of theming has been brought back. The most obvious thing here, is the return of the water wheel outside the queue house. But, they also have new lantern-shaped lights inside the building, and the station is decorated with different saws and logging tools. The coolest thing is how lumberjack style outfits are hung up on the walls, like lumberjacks have gone to work. Finally, themed banjo music (which according to KDGY is the original "Old Virginia" music) is now played in the building.

This flume being one of my all-time favorites, I can't really think of any kind of refresh except maybe some better pump system to make the water less dirty. But, I don't know how well that would work seeing as the water literally flows through a forest after it splashes out of the trough, which is where it gets so dirty. Also, planting a strip of trees along the fence to the right-hand side of the ride could help hide the backstage areas of the park from guest view. But other than that I think the flume is pretty good as it is.

Reactions: MAZ and Jonquil

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
I did some investigating in WaterWorks the other day. If the rumors are true, I find it puzzling as to why Shoot the Curl of all slides is being removed.

J1wvnMq.jpg

The slide. As you can see here, it has a very small footprint and it's wedged in the corner of the water park.

uImPv4w.jpg

The main plaza. The exit to STC is literally only a few feet from the edge of the brick circle on the left. This means there is not much space in front of it to expand without greatly altering the pathway. I have no idea why I was being stupid and didn't get STC itself in the picture.

9ZZovdg.jpg

Another interesting piece to the puzzle: the slide tower and part of the slide is located on the opposite side of the lazy river. Note how far back STC is pushed towards Rebel Yell. This means there is almost zero room for backward expansion if a new, larger slide were to be built. They will also have to make sure the slide they purchase is structurally able to go over the lazy river. Interesting?

So, if a new slide truly is to replace Shoot the Curl, then it will most likely not be a very big one. There is about 30 feet of room to the right of the slide, but that's basically all they can expand into. As I said in an earlier post, the slide could just out into the current location of the water mushroom. This would require alterations to the main plaza (making it more of just a pathway, looping around the new slide).

c6X2FpI.jpg

This could mean nothing, but right across from Tidal Wave Bay there was a large clearing that I do not remember seeing before. Maybe it's just because I've never looked for things like this in WaterWorks before and I simply haven't noticed it. Still, there's a clearing in basically the exact spot of concern for other WaterWorks rumors. I do hope a slide goes here, regardless. There's an enormous stretch of trees between Rebel Yell all the way up to the Upper WaterWorks bath house that could really use an attraction.

Take what all this means for what you will, but I am excited to see what they will do for next year. My guess is maybe we will see a smaller, boomerang-style slide where Shoot the Curl is and maybe a larger slide (mat racer?) across from Tidal Wave Bay. Who knows. The good thing about construction at Kings Dominion, though, is that everything they do can be seen from the Eiffel Tower. So we shouldn't be confused for too long!

Oh, and I'm still praying for a "Hurricane Reef" retheme. :cool:

Nov 1, 2012
Joe, that photo shows what little is left of the former track bed for the old steam train. :D

I believe I wrote up a description on one of the other forums here about the train path. A portion the track traveled parallel to the Rebel Yell before turning to the south. That photo above shows the track bed as it started to turn to the south. I think the track bed continued behind Sharkey's food stand and went behind the raft slide and old wave pool before heading back toward the Hurler. A good portion of the former train track bed in that area was eliminated when the water park was expanded during the Paramount years and when Cedar Fair did the last expansion in 2007.

Jul 22, 2014
Virginia Tech
Just for reference of when we should expect an announcement...
2009: Intimidator 305 - Thursday August 20, 2009
2010: Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular - Monday November 22, 2010 (I wouldn't count this one)
2011: Windseeker/Dinosaurs Alive - Thursday September 1, 2011
2012: Planet Snoopy Expansion - Wednesday September 12, 2012
2013: 40th Celebration - Thursday September 12, 2013
2014: Water Park Expansion - ???

Nov 1, 2012
Hokie305 said:
Just for reference of when we should expect an announcement...
2009: Intimidator 305 - Thursday August 20, 2009
2010: Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular - Monday November 22, 2010 (I wouldn't count this one)
2011: Windseeker/Dinosaurs Alive - Thursday September 1, 2011
2012: Planet Snoopy Expansion - Wednesday September 12, 2012
2013: 40th Celebration - Thursday September 12, 2013
2014: Water Park Expansion - ???

Thanks for posting that.

Cedar Fair took over the former Paramount Park chain in July of 2006. I don't remember when the 2nd water park expansion was announced for the 2007 season [Tidal Wave Bay (2nd wave pool) | Zoom Flume | Tornado]. I believe it was in late September or early October of 2006. With Cedar Fair taking over mid-season, I think it took longer for them to finalize the next year's attractions.

Was Dominator the attraction for 2008? I don't remember when that was announced in 2007. Also, what year was Americana and El Dorado put in?

Reactions: Zachary

netdvn

Team Instinct
Jan 12, 2012
in the rear
dvn225.deviantart.com
2001 - Hypersonic XLC
2002 - Ricochet & Triple Spin
2003 - Drop Zone
2004 - Scooby Doo/Boo Blasters
2005 - Tomb Raider/Crypt
2006 - Stunt Coaster

2007 - Water Works expansion
2008 - Dominator
2009 - Americana & El Dorado
2010 - Intimidator 305 and Planet Snoopy
2011 - Nothing major
2012 - Windseeker and Dinosaurs Alive
2013 - Planet Snoopy 2.0
2014 - 40th Anniversary
2015 - ???

Bold = major rides/attractions - The park has a habit of adding a new major ride every other year. I think this is the only "major" year the park hasn't added anything significant. I expect some interesting developments come 2015 and the second year of the 40th.

Feb 7, 2012
Richmond, VA
I would say that the Planet Snoopy revamp was major considering that it cost $9 million.

I'm totally betting that we're following Carowinds & that we'll see a coaster in 2016. I'm also thinking that the whole "Soak City" logo thing was just a slip up (those slides are done by Cedar Fair corporate, so they could have just been using it from another park.) I'm sure that we'll just see one a new slide tower like the rest of the parks have, maybe a new kids waterpark area (that's been rumored for a while.)

Mar 30, 2010
Has anyone snatched up those 40th anniversary pins? Where's the best place in the park to get them. I'll probably be going there in October, so we'll pick them up then.

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
The trading pins... I have them all in 1 of 40 collectors set.

I suggest Sunshine Souvenirs (front of the park) to purchase these. Someone in there usually has one of the two pins that can be exclusively traded for. It's usually the singing mushroom pin. The Rebel Yell backwards pin is difficult to find (I went and searched for 3 others who weren't able to visit the park and it took me a good 4 hours over 2 days to find 3 of them). Anyways, keep a look out and ask an executive if you need help finding them. They may know others and most of the time are willing to call around to help you out.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad