Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond
b.mac said:
So it's pretty much like Great Adventure with some epic undiscovered terrain way too far off for the park to use effectively.
You are correct. Unless they installed a bridge/tunnel over/under the tracks and utilized some kind of transport similar to Hogwarts Express to carry visitors to the new area. (I don't think KD has the attendance #'s to justify such an expansion)

Nov 1, 2012
Keep in mind that a good chunk of the developed property for Kings Dominion was once a farm. Most farms do not have extreme variations topography of the land; especially, farms growing crops. Even if this farm was for raising, cows, sheep, goats, or llamas, most of the land would be of the gently rolling hill variety with flat lands.

I just don't think the park proper will expand any farther to the east than it already does. The railroad and county road serve as a natural boundary. I am not ruling out that Cedar Fair might one day build a resort hotel/motel on that property. But, I don't even see that happening anytime soon.

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond
I agree with the unrealistic notion of expanding in that direction. I just thought I'd point out how awesome those woods are to the east, from a terrain standpoint. I've spent quite a bit of time in there over the years. I used to ride dirtbikes in there and also at KD's 'stripping' grounds. (The area on that side that is used to strip fill dirt when needed.)

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
I just really want to see the area under I305 utilized, I've mentioned this to others before and don't know if I've said it here, but I really would like Flight of Fear and Intimidator unified into a complete themed hamlet, scrapping the NASCAR theme and making the whole area very Sci-Fi; totally distinct and separate from Safari Village. The area under I305 would be used to build out the Space Town or what ever with flat rides and shops etc. Just rename and retheme I305.

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
A second park could be built in the back 600. As I have mentioned, if they had the money, this would be the place to build a proper water park.
They could be connected with a monorail, train, or sky ride. Bounce passes, et al. Regardless, the mess in the middle of the park is disgusting and looks just sad. It needs to be ripped out and turned back into a lake. Yes, I know they will have to play with land fill.

Reactions: wombat96

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond
They really only have an extra 100 acres or so surrounding the waterpark, that is usable. The 600 other acres are on the other side of the train tracks. Hanover county owns the land behind hurler and grizzly. There is also a very large powerline easement behind I305 that kindof cuts off their options on that side. BUT, they sure could use the 100 acres around the existing rear of the waterpark for super dooper expansion! I like the idea of rebuilding the lake and exposing Rebel Yell once again Zimmy!

Reactions: Zimmy

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
Mazakman,
I was actually suggesting they completely lance the water park from KD proper and build a new park on the other side of the RR tracks in the 600 acres. The distance would make them feel like two different parks and they could be connected via Monorail/ train/ and what not similarly to the way Univeral and IoA are connected now. Bounce passes are always a good marketing trick and could push people to stay for more than 1 day. That would also create, perhaps, a need for some kind of resort between the two. It would need trams. But this could be part of the attraction, a network of interlinked trains, something like a light rail metro system. Heck if things went well with the space they have they could even move to have a golf course.

Reactions: MAZ

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
Sadly, such a thing would be hugely expensive and would probably never justify the cost. But one can dream!

Nov 1, 2012
Zimmy said:
Mazakman,
I was actually suggesting they completely lance the water park from KD proper and build a new park on the other side of the RR tracks in the 600 acres.  The distance would make them feel like two different parks and they could be connected via Monorail/ train/ and what not similarly to the way Univeral and IoA are connected now.  Bounce passes are always a good marketing trick and could push people to stay for more than 1 day.  That would also create, perhaps, a need for some kind of resort between the two.  It would need trams.  But this could be part of the attraction, a network of interlinked trains, something like a light rail metro system.  Heck if things went well with the space they have they could even move to have a golf course.

Cedar Fair seems to be trending away from separately gated water parks. The main exception is Knotts and Cedar Point. Knotts does have its own hotel and the dry park is physically located apart from the water park (i.e. BGW).

Cedar Point has its own campground and 3 hotels/motels on their property. Since CP is considered a resort, they can get away with keeping the water park a separate gated venue. I assume it can drive multi-day visits to the dry and water sides. Plus, Cedar Fair is now down to one free standing water park, Geauga Lake.

Cedar Fair just combined the last separate gated dry/water park, with physically adjacent dry/water sides in the chain, as a 2-for-1 admission. Worlds of Fun was changed either last year or in 2012. All other parks in the chain have the dry/water parks physically adjacent to each other and both are included for one price.

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
As I said, this is all moot: They are jealous of their revenues, and moneys at KD would likely be waste.  That all being said, I still think they should burn down the current water park.  If it is not already, it should be listed as a Superfund site.

Nov 1, 2012
Zimmy, I take it that you don't care for the water park. But, there are many folks that do like it and it is swamped during the weekends. Even though it is open only from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend, Water Works takes a heavy pounding from the sheer numbers of folks that use it every summer. I realize that it is not the end all / be all of water parks and it can get ratty looking toward the end of the operating season. But, it is popular with those who visit.

As I stated before, Cedar Fair has been on a roll with water park renovations and expansions throughout the park chain over the last 3-4 seasons.

1) Worlds of Fun just had their water park expansion completed last year with 6 new slides and the rest of the existing water park given a major overhaul.

2) Dorney Park has received water park renovations and 2 new slide complexes two years in a row (2013-2014).

3) Kings Island received a water park renovation with a new wave pool, updated lazy river to an action river attraction, in 2012.

4) Carowinds received 2 new slides this year and had expanded their water park with another wave pool and other stuff back in 2012 or 2013.

With all the water park renovations/expansions happening within the last 2-3 seasons across the park chain, I would not be surprised to see Kings Dominion's Water Works get the same treatment.

Given all the above, it is a strong possibility that a Water Park renovation/expansion is in the works for 2015. (I am not ruling out some 40th anniversary flat rides and/or an in-park transportation system making a comeback for 2015 either). I guess we will find out by the end of August or early September.

Nov 1, 2012
Well, according to ScreamScape, their sources reported surveying going on in the Water Park. Two areas were mentioned:

1. Around "Shoot the Curls" slide (dark blue tube slides in the front section of Water Works.
2. The area between the new wave pool and "PipeLine Peak" slide tower.

Hmmmm . . . my guess is for 2-3 new slide complexes and a re-fresh of the rest of the water park. Maybe something new for the kiddy areas of Water Works as well.

I have not been to the park in almost a month. Maybe I will get back there in the next couple weeks for a look-see.

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
A reader sent this in to me a few days ago, just haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

But if you look at the slider images on kingsdominion.com, you'll notice there's a new water works slide. Big deal, probably not. But if you look closely, you see something else.

KD---Waterpark---Rotator.jpg

See it? Look closely at the WaterWorks logo. You'll notice that the Soak City is located directly behind it.

Now this can be a few things:

• A hint at Water Works being renamed the Soak City
  • Corporate was lazy in making this slide for the site

It's worth noting that this slide can not be found on other Cedar Fair parks sites.

Also a few days ago, Screamscape reported that there was/ is surveying going on in the Tidal Wave Bay area (see mwhinva's post above}. I can confirm that with the image below.

Attachments

• Zoning.jpg
    Zoning.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 11
Nov 1, 2012
Thanks for the image. I noticed that ScreamScape had the same logo image posted on their site this morning. Also, threw out another rumor that a mat racer slide of some type might be in the works for 2015.

The first major attraction investment that Cedar Fair did for Kings Dominion, after taking ownership of the park in mid-2006, was a Water Works expansion for the 2007 season. That is when KD received the 2nd wave pool, Zoom Flume family raft ride and the Tornado funnel slide.

The original Water Park, Hurricane Reef, was the last attraction added by KECO in 1992 before Paramount took over. That covered the lake area between the CAG midway and the Rebel Yell. The original attractions were: (Shoot the Curl (dark blue slides); Lazy River; Tidal Wave (open tube slides); Pipeline (light blue body slides), Monsoon Chutes (4 speed slides (2 at the 50 foot level/2 at the 70 foot level); Torrential Twist (2 twisted slides); Splash Island Kids area).

Four of the original seven attractions still exist. Splash Island and Monsoon Chutes were removed to make way for what is now the stunt coaster. Torrential Twist was removed during the first couple years of Cedar Fair ownership.

Seven years later Paramount in 1999 expanded Water Works south of the Rebel Yell. A new wave pool was added; Pipe peak, a four slide | 2 level tower; and a new Kids Interactive Splash Structure and adjacent activity pool.

Seven-eight years later Cedar Fair expanded Water Works again (see above).

Again, here we are seven-eight years later and guess what? :cool:

Reactions: wombat96

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
I have been expecting both Shoot the Curl and neighboring slide Freestylin' to be leaving for years now. Shoot the Curl is a fun mini-speed slide, but since the dawn of Pipeline Peak featuring a much larger speed slide, Shoot the Curl has always seemed unnecessary. Freestylin' is a horribly slow, unexciting inner tube slide which is seriously showing its age. Nothing has been said about its fate, but I would not bat an eye to see it go.

Keep in mind a few things: Shoot the Curl is wedged in the back corner of the front half of the water park. It's backed up right against the lazy river, meaning there is no room for backward expanding for a large slide.

However, to the right of the slide is a sprayer structure and a lounging space occupying the space of the former kids' area [near Freestylin's splash pool]. The area in front of STC is vastly empty and the only thing remotely close to it is a mushroom structure in the center of the plaza.

Shoot the Curl occupies an extremely small space compared to most slides today. If a slide really does replace STC then I am almost certain they will expand outward and possibly alter the pathway leading back to Rebel Yell and the rest of the water park.

To elaborate, think of the main plaza in the front half of WaterWorks.
KingsDomWater2Page.jpg

Not the best image of the plaza, but imagine STC's splashdown troughs being about thirty feet to the right. [Though it's not much of a plaza, since most of the original slides in the area have been removed, as well as the original kids' area.]

If they remove or relocate the mushroom twenty or thirty feet to the left, that gives ample room for a bigger, newer waterslide to extent outward on STC's land. The pathway could be diverted and curve around to the right. There is still plenty of room in the awkwardly large plaza because of the space left over from the removed slides.

As for what replaces STC, I have a suspicion of the newer mat racer slides, which begin in a tube-like structure that curve around before opening up to a straight Nitro Racer-style mat slide. They are only somewhat larger than STC, have almost the exact same dimensions but on a larger scale, and are both visually- and rider-appealing. I'm thinking of a smaller model of WhiteWater West's "Whizzard" slide.

Man, looking at Whitewater West's and ProSlide's websites, there are so many unique slides out there that it's a shame we don't have more of around here. Even their kids' slides look fantastic.

Another slide that immediately comes to mind is one of those boomerang slides, where innertubes go up and down a half pipe. It's very compact and could fit right into Shoot the Curl's space. Course, it's not the most exciting ride to be the star attraction of the year.

As for what's going on by the wave pool (Tidal Wave Bay is the one near Rebel Yell, right?)... I'll type that later. :cool:

I hope the slide image isn't just a mistake. (Though I'd have preferred Boomerang Bay with an Australian theme like all the other former Paramount parks got).

Still, glad to see something will be going on next year.

Reactions: Jesy
Nov 1, 2012
Joe, the kids area was never in that central plaza area. It took up the space where the west side of where the stunt coaster is located (close to the funnel).

Reactions: Mushroom
Nov 1, 2012
Here are a few photos of Hurricane Reef under construction (was re-named to Water Works with the Paramount expansion between 1998 and 2000). The 1st picture was taken from roughly where the current entrance path would be. On the upper left side of the photo, you can see the original kiddy area. There are 4 beige slides (3 straight and 2 curved ones on either side. To the lower left of those slides is the concrete basin for the kids wading pool. This had 2-3 mushroom fountains in it originally. The upper center of the picture shows the cranes constructing the slide tower for the Monsoon Chutes speed slides. The current Tornado funnel slide now exists between the red-maroon dumpster/container and the yellow construction vehicle in the front of that. Course, the lazy river is visible in the lower center of the photo. Part of the splash pool for the Free Stylin' tube slides is visible in the very lower right of the photo. Also, the former Torrential Twist slides are shown next to Anaconda.

Attachments

• HR_Construction.jpg
    HR_Construction.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Monsoon Chutes.jpg
    Monsoon Chutes.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 36
  • Water Works Paramount mid 2000's.jpg
    Water Works Paramount mid 2000's.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 29
  • WW construction 2.jpg
    WW construction 2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 34

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond
I think a secondary water park entrance between Hurler and Ricochet would ease the congestion problems currently in the front portion of water works. A new locker/bathroom complex for this side of the park is certainly needed for an expansion also. One of those water coaster things would be quite cool!

Nov 1, 2012
Several of the other Cedar Fair parks that have received water park renovations and expansions over the last 2-4 years, (Worlds of Fun, Valley Fair, Dorney Park, and Kings Island), had most, if not all, of their infrastructure upgraded, replaced, or added to. This is in addition to new water attractions.

I guess Kings Dominion could be the first to get a water coaster of some sort (a la Holiday World's Wildebeast or Mammoth). But, notice I said the first. None of the other water parks in the Cedar Fair chain has had one installed.

My guess is 2-3 slide complexes installed and maybe something for the kids. The existing splash house has seen better days and most of the interactive elements have been removed due to damage/wear. Maybe a new "Rain Forrest" style structure for the kids. There is room for one; especially, if they use up 1/2 to 2/3's of the plaza in front of it.

How many slide complexes will depend on the number of slides, style, length and height of the potential new attractions.

Carowinds new dual slide tower (wave slide and a bowl slide) cost 2.5 million (amount verified in a document to Local Charlotte government Officials). Dorney Park's "Snake Pit" has 6 slides and is taller than the one in Carowinds. My cost guess for Dorney's slide complex is between 3.5 to 4.0 million.

Course, the cost will be much greater for those high capacity slides that take 4 to 6 people at a time compared to a body slide or 1-2 person tube slides. (Bigger structure more/larger slide pieces). Major Combo slides probably cost even more.

There are so many types and combinations of slides out there today, it is impossible to guess what we might end up with. I keep feeling that we will see a mat racer of some sort. There are so many variations and combos of that type of slide nowadays.

It will come down to how much money Kings Dominion gets for this potential water park expansion. Low estimate would be 8-10 million and the high end estimate would be 13-15 million spent. I don't believe that Cedar Fair has spent more than 15 million on any of the previous expansions. If KD gets the renovations plus new 2 slide complexes and something for the kids, I expect the amount would fall in the 10-12 million dollar range. If they go big and get a 3rd new slide complex, I'd say the money spent would be 13-14 million dollars.

Given that Cedar Fair lets those parks, getting the biggest attractions for next season, go first with their announcements, I would not expect to hear from Kings Dominion until Carowinds dishes out their 2015 attraction news on 08/21/2014. I expect we will hear from the park sometime around Labor Day weekend.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad