Volcano Goes Extinct

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Nov 1, 2012
I’m seriously confused. The mountain used to house a dark ride, a flat, and a water ride. So, that space is not intrinsically intended for a coaster. Assuming the mountain isn’t raised, there is history to support pretty much kind of attraction that CF and KD believe would best serve the bottom line.

Honestly, the space isn’t really ideal for a coaster. I always felt as if I was in some abandoned construction dump site, when I was waiting to return to the space that passed for a station. Hanging out in the hot bowels of some defunct attraction with little to no airflow wasn’t a charming experience.

On another note, I think demolishing the mountain is a bigger deal than removing the coaster. The former is the iconic piece of history. The latter is just the most recent attraction housed there.
You are correct in that the mountain was created to house a flat/dark ride complex. The park was over-budget for this attraction when it opened in 1979. The original plans called for a second flat ride and another indoor scene for the Vouage to Atlantis water ride. The park dropped the 2nd flat ride ride and the final indoor scene for the water dark ride was added the following year when the ride was renamed to the Haunted River in 1980.

Aug 21, 2016
A
They don’t have to do anything.

Kings Dominion (and CF in general) should be making a push for better flats, better care, and a better atmosphere. Forcing themselves to replace Volcano in a hurry would be a HUGE mistake. I also don’t believe that Volcano is that big of an “icon” to be honest. Being from out of the area, I know about I305 and Racer long before Volcano. And already TT has massively surpassed Volcano.

Forcing yourself to do something (like rush to replace Volcano) is what gets parks in trouble. Maybe the bump the timeline a bit to put in the next coaster somewhere; but not having to put it there and not having to do it ASAP is what’s going to be better in the long term.

Maybe they can use this chance to revamp the whole area like they did when they put in Twisted Timbers, then renamed other rides and put the pavers in.

Heck I would sacrifice 1 year of Avalanche access for them to do something like that.
You can revamp the area AND add a new coaster. In fact off the shelf flat rides are just gonna make the area look worse. See, California Adventure. An enclosed dark ride isn’t gonna help either unless they go all Busch Gardens and have an elaborate exterior design, which they won’t.

A new roller coaster legitimately can make the area look great. Look at Fury, Chocolatetown, Timbers, Sheikra, Copperhead Strike, etc. The coaster and the newly designed area around it work in uniscent for a nicer atmosphere. That’s how it works if you aren’t Disney, Universal, Europa, Busch, etc.

Mar 16, 2016
A

You can revamp the area AND add a new coaster. In fact off the shelf flat rides are just gonna make the area look worse. See, California Adventure. An enclosed dark ride isn’t gonna help either unless they go all Busch Gardens and have an elaborate exterior design, which they won’t.

A new roller coaster legitimately can make the area look great. Look at Fury, Chocolatetown, Timbers, Sheikra, Copperhead Strike, etc. The coaster and the newly designed area around it work in uniscent for a nicer atmosphere. That’s how it works if you aren’t Disney, Universal, Europa, Busch, etc.
Honestly. Not seeing a great reason why it has to be a coaster in that plot. Entrances to Avalanche, BLSC, Anaconda, FoF, I305 are all writhing 400 yards.

You point out areas that got a coaster and a revamp. Ok? Doesn’t mean that’s what has to happen.

If I had a choice between a new coaster in Olde Virginia in DA plot, or a new one in Safari in the VBC lot, give me the one in Olde Virginia in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Zimmy and Joe
Aug 21, 2016
Honestly. Not seeing a great reason why it has to be a coaster in that plot. Entrances to Avalanche, BLSC, Anaconda, FoF, I305 are all writhing 400 yards.

You point out areas that got a coaster and a revamp. Ok? Doesn’t mean that’s what has to happen.

If I had a choice between a new coaster in Olde Virginia in DA plot, or a new one in Safari in the VBC lot, give me the one in Olde Virginia in a heartbeat.
I doubt they build a coaster on the Dinos plot if they want to preserve the trees.

jonn804

Silver Donor
Nov 24, 2012
The mountain also houses one of the park’s two air compressors that are used to maintain park wide air pressure.
Can you go into detail about the air compressors and their use? I have never heard this fact before. Thanks

Gavin

Who, me?
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Instead of each ride having it’s own air compressor, the park uses two massive compressors to provide park wide air pressure. Like I said, one is in mountain and the other is in Hypersonic’s old station. The majority of the rides will collect that air pressure locally in tanks, and use it for things like braking.

jonn804

Silver Donor
Nov 24, 2012
Instead of each ride having it’s own air compressor, the park uses two massive compressors to provide park wide air pressure. Like I said, one is in mountain and the other is in Hypersonic’s old station.
I didn’t realize many rides or attractions would use compressed air from a centralized location in their operation. That seems like a lot of underground piping to maintain. I thought the compressors could be to power chillers for air conditioning in nearby attractions.

Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
To be rather honest I’m kindve suprised no one has mentioned this area possibly used for Haunt space. Volcano in terms of event space is absolutely massive and could easily fit a maze or two within the physical mountain or maybe even the queue space. While a completely different space, Wonder Mountain at Canada’s Wonderland fits two mazes in the bowels of the mountain. Being that Volcano may never run again the possibility that this space being converted to Haunt space seems very possible. I imagine a house could be situated in the bottom on the floor of the attraction weaving between the attractions supports.
EDIT: Whoops, just read the Haunt thread.

Nov 24, 2009
View attachment 13866
@WDWRLD

Don't want to get too off-topic. El Dorado "Replaced" Hypersonic before Windseeker was built. I mention this particular replacement because it provided the park an additional flat ride accommodating those of a smaller size. Americana was also built in the same year. So while a major roller coaster was removed, the park added 2 rides that were intended for a much larger audience. They helped add depth to Kings Dominions ride lineup while investing on park appearance in those general areas.

I feel the same about Delirium. It's not that I find it to be a greater ride than Shockwave, but that it made Candy Apple Grove look so much better. As a passholder, I feel like I have more value when I'm given a broader selection of things to do. Delirium is still the only thrilling flat ride in the park that doesn't take you up 300ft, or have you upside down multiple times; therefore, a much broader audience is likely to be attracted to a ride like Delirium.

@madmax Just trying to shed light on the possibility that Volcano doesn't get a coaster replacement. I only mentioned Wonder Mountain Guardian as it's literally a dark ride/roller coaster that was built into a fake mountain (Just like Volcano) 4.5 years ago at a park owned by Cedar Fair (Just like Kings Dominion). It is not a "Simulator" - It has both roller coaster and interactive dark ride elements. Something completely different than any other ride in the country or the other 11 roller coasters the park already offers. Sorry for suggesting something realistic with reasoning instead of assuming KD had the resources to simply pull a 25 million+ B&M out of its ass. Please forgive me.

EDIT: The dark ride portion for Wonder Mountain's Guardian changes for the season. During Haunt it is renamed Zombies 4d.
Oh crap....I completely forgot about that ride....must have been memorable.

b.mac

Great Adventure got an RMC...
May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
To be rather honest I’m kindve suprised no one has mentioned this area possibly used for Haunt space. Volcano in terms of event space is absolutely massive and could easily fit a maze or two within the physical mountain or maybe even the queue space. While a completely different space, Wonder Mountain at Canada’s Wonderland fits two mazes in the bowels of the mountain. Being that Volcano may never run again the possibility that this space being converted to Haunt space seems very possible. I imagine a house could be situated in the bottom on the floor of the attraction weaving between the attractions supports.
EDIT: Whoops, just read the Haunt thread.
Having been inside that mountain myself, there's definitely a lot of open space for a terror trail of some sort but the concrete is super uneven and there's a lot of pipework sitting on the ground as well. It'd definitely be an interesting idea in practice.

Aug 31, 2012
Harrisonburg, VA
I would be curious if presented correctly to KD Exec's if A group would be allowed to explore the mountain and look for the supposedly still there remnants of The Lost World. According to some articles the Time Shaft is still inside one of the Mountain Structures. Mt. Kilimanjaro not sure really as It's been since the Drop Zone time frame since I have been.

I for one as someone who still remembers all the various ways The Lost World was redone over the years and personally have been on all of the various rides in all of there versions think this would be A great Idea and would be A willing participant.

Any thoughts from anyone on whether Kings Dominion would let someone "urban explore" the site before any deconstruction or demolition would begin.

Any one with info they don't want to post here can PM me.

Just my thoughts

Jul 31, 2016
Southern Va

Give me facts and provide proof for the following:

• A flat ride built by Cedar Fair automatically makes an area look worse.
  • Cedar Fair, regardless of circumstance, will never make an elaborate exterior design to an attraction.
  • Roller coasters are the only thing on this goddamn planet that can make an area look great "Legitimately"
You present us with your ideas and get so damn protective when somebody tries to explain things to you. You always present your ideas as fact like they can never be wrong.

Provide facts for the 3 statements you made above and I will legitimately delete my ParkFans account.

Last edited:
Login or Register to Hide This Ad