Volcano Goes Extinct

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

horsesboy

Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I never seen gravel made from new/old concrete and used at a construction site. To me, gravel = rock. Plus, I don't think the park had any equipment on site to break up concrete to that small size.

I thought the concrete footings for the mountain and coaster were pulled out during the main demolition. None of the footers were very wide or deep considering how close together the supports were (12-15 feet apart).
I saw them digging down and jackhammering up the actual coaster footers when i road Avalanche last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zachary and Nicole
Nov 1, 2012
Given that KD is is going to such lengths to clear/prep the land this early, makes me think actual new construction is starting now or in the next 30-60 days.

I wonder that, when KD gave the Big Wave Bay Bye-Bye announcement for 2020, it was to make sure folks knew that the 2020 attraction(s) was in the waterpark and not what was going on at the Volcano site. Has any other Cedar Fair park given an official hint/announcement for 2020 attractions (even KI for their upcoming coaster)?

Reactions: Joe
Nov 1, 2012
Given that the park has at least 4 large excavators on site, the parks seems to have a tight deadline for whatever is going on at that site. Especially, if this is for something that won't open until 2021 or 2022.

horsesboy

Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Given that KD is is going to such lengths to clear/prep the land this early, makes me think actual new construction is starting now or in the next 30-60 days.
I am not sure they are going such lengths. They are using the same company and much of the same equipment that was used in taking down the mountain. Why would it not make sense to the footers and other work while the permits, people, equipment are in place? Surely this is cheaper then having them take down the mountain and a haul their gear off only tp have to refile the permits and pay to haul everything back in.

b.mac

Other Parks, Inc.
May 14, 2011
Someplace, Somewhere
The only examples of reusing footers with KD exist as Twisted Timbers which is a modification of an existing ride, and Anaconda which reused some, but not all, footers from King Cobra. The remaining footers from King Cobra actually went mostly unused by Anaconda's construction.

Nov 1, 2012
I am not sure they are going such lengths. They are using the same company and much of the same equipment that was used in taking down the mountain. Why would it not make sense to the footers and other work while the permits, people, equipment are in place? Surely this is cheaper then having them take down the mountain and a haul their gear off only tp have to refile the permits and pay to haul everything back in.
I have seen photos of the volcano site after the structure was completely gone. I saw no heavy equipment on site since mid-June. Two weeks later there are 3-4 large excavators on the site now with the ground torn up and gravel piles that were not there a couple weeks ago. Equipment like that is rented out by the the day. I'm glad KD has the money to let equipment like that sit idle for 2 weeks. Course, I'm going by photos only.

I just viewed a video from June 23rd. There appears to be a piece of equipment that looks like it could crush concrete chunks into gravel size pieces and dump it into a pile. This is shown in the last minute or so of the video. The metal is a dark red color and it is parked near the FOF launch/brake area.

June 23rd Volcano site update

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe

Zimmy

Nessie thinks it is not polite to ask her age!
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
I never seen gravel made from new/old concrete and used at a construction site. To me, gravel = rock. Plus, I don't think the park had any equipment on site to break up concrete to that small size.

I thought the concrete footings for the mountain and coaster were pulled out during the main demolition. None of the footers were very wide or deep considering how close together the supports were (12-15 feet apart).
Crush and run made from recycled concrete is actually very common for... well anything you would use crush and run for. Roads, drainage, uncomfortable chairs.

They could just be spreading it around to maintain the area until they know what they want to do.

I have seen it processed on site with existing concrete from whatever was torn down.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad