Volcano Goes Extinct

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

Level 65 Rumor Bear
Aug 23, 2017
Saved the flume channel, new ride is a hyper-flume confirmed. Themed to the smurfs of course to keep in line with the original.

• Haha
Reactions: Rheath

Zimmy

Nessie wants you to look into yourself
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
Dale is a excellent writer and of course his knowledge is second to none. I encourage everyone to read his rather short book, "Bad Day at the Amusement Park." If you have read all of his KD blog posts you will recognise all of the little vignettes in the book.

Reactions: scottyholiday
Feb 14, 2019
I was thinking it's because someone got lazy and figured the sheet of plywood that the graphic is on could be used in that spot

Nov 1, 2012
Hmmmmm.... Looking at the photos, I'm focused on the earth mound behind the gravel piles. I see a bunch of concrete rubble on top. I can't tell if the mound was created by those excavators digging and placing the displaced dirt there or if the excavators are lowering the land grade around it and that newly graded land is now lower than the former grade of the land where the concrete rubble is now.

I can`t see this land prep being for a coaster for 2021. I could see this prep being the beginning of a replacement structure for the mountain, with attractions around it and in it (yes, that could include a coaster of some sort). Having a structure, with attractions in and around it, is going to take longer than the 10-11 months needed for a major coaster built out in the open.

Course, maybe KD decided to use the Volcano land for the monster truck event after all. 😎

horsesboy

Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Hmmmmm.... Looking at the photos, I'm focused on the earth mound behind the gravel piles. I see a bunch of concrete rubble on top. I can't tell if the mound was created by those excavators digging and placing the displaced dirt there or if the excavators are lowering the land grade around it and that newly graded land is now lower than the former grade of the land where the concrete rubble is now.

I can`t see this land prep being for a coaster for 2021. I could see this prep being the beginning of a replacement structure for the mountain, with attractions around it and in it (yes, that could include a coaster of some sort). Having a structure, with attractions in and around it, is going to take longer than the 10-11 months needed for a major coaster built out in the open.

Course, maybe KD decided to use the Volcano land for the monster truck event after all. 😎
They have been digging down and removing Volcano's footer below ground.

Feb 14, 2019
Odd if that's the case since the trend seems to be swinging towards reuse or abandon footers, not remove. My guess is it won't be a coaster but they need the space for a flat.

Nov 1, 2012
Is all that gravel the remnants of old concrete from the ride, or is it new?
I never seen gravel made from new/old concrete and used at a construction site. To me, gravel = rock. Plus, I don't think the park had any equipment on site to break up concrete to that small size.

I thought the concrete footings for the mountain and coaster were pulled out during the main demolition. None of the footers were very wide or deep considering how close together the supports were (12-15 feet apart).

Reactions: Joe
Login or Register to Hide This Ad