Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

Manufacturer
ZIERER

Model
Elevated Seating Coaster w/ Vertical Drop Element

Hamlet
Oktoberfest (Germany)

Official Opening
May 18, 2012

Soft Opening
May 11, 2012

Tallest Drop
88ft

Top Speed
53mph

Inversion Count

Launch Segments

Riders Per Train

Number of Trains

Height Requirement
48in

Verbolten is an indoor/outdoor ZIERER Elevated Seating Coaster that features a Vertical Drop Element. It officially opened in mid-May 2012 on the site formally occupied by the Arrow Suspended Coaster, Big Bad Wolf.

Videos​

Development Documentary​

Ride Recordings​

On-Ride Videos​

Backstage Footage​

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me what special effects inside the event building are broke? I remember someone mentioning to be last season that not all the special effects queue up. To me, it seems fine because I like it dark anyway. But someone fill me in on how the ride experience was back when it was first built?

Can someone tell me what special effects inside the event building are broke? I remember someone mentioning to be last season that not all the special effects queue up. To me, it seems fine because I like it dark anyway. But someone fill me in on how the ride experience was back when it was first built?
More lightning, more stories that were active all the time, the headlights on the cars were on more often.

In my experience it isn’t darker at all — if anything, it’s way less of a dark and disorienting experience. They’ve removed a handful of curtains and scrims that block the daylight coming in from the entrance and exit to the building, and the removal of some of the forest scenery just makes the light bleed into other sections of the building more. You see more track, more warehouse walls, and more concrete floor now. Not an improvement by any means.

In my experience it isn’t darker at all — if anything, it’s way less of a dark and disorienting experience. They’ve removed a handful of curtains and scrims that block the daylight coming in from the entrance and exit to the building, and the removal of some of the forest scenery just makes the light bleed into other sections of the building more. You see more track, more warehouse walls, and more concrete floor now. Not an improvement by any means.

I did not know this. Why did they remove this stuff? Maintenance teams getting tired of moving around it? Cause when I ride it, the launch tunnel still seems dark to me. The only time I really see sunlight, is when you get close to the vertical drop track.

I enjoy riding the trains in the back loading station at night. Reason for it, you get to sit near the model car, just outside of the loading station, before making your way over to the Black Forest. There is the sound of a car engine if you listen closely.

the headlights on the cars were on more often.
My experience is that the ops just forget to turn the headlights on. I've been there on multiple occasions where it got dark and they were off and just asked if it was possible to have them turned on and they took care of it. It's just a switch near the right front wheel on the first car of each train which means you're best bet is asking the restraint checker on that side since they are the one that will likely turn them on.

My experience is that the ops just forget to turn the headlights on. I've been there on multiple occasions where it got dark and they were off and just asked if it was possible to have them turned on and they took care of it. It's just a switch near the right front wheel on the first car of each train which means you're best bet is asking the restraint checker on that side since they are the one that will likely turn them on.

I've seen them do this too, but why would you want the light on? Especially at night time. It defeats the purpose of speeding through the Black Forest during a dangerous encounter with the unknown. If I had it my way, the building would have been bigger and scarier.

Reactions: Coasternerd
I've seen them do this too, but why would you want the light on? Especially at night time. It defeats the purpose of speeding through the Black Forest during a dangerous encounter with the unknown. If I had it my way, the building would have been bigger and scarier.
The headlights aren't really that bright and it really adds to the feeling of driving in the woods by linking a common sight. I never really noticed the headlights in the show building at all (though I don't know what the current state of the building is this year).

The headlights aren't really that bright and it really adds to the feeling of driving in the woods by linking a common sight. I never really noticed the headlights in the show building at all (though I don't know what the current state of the building is this year).
That's because they turn off on launch 1 and turn on again at launch 2.

That's because they turn off on launch 1 and turn on again at launch 2.
Definitely not the case. They’re on in the show building. I have definitely ridden the ride with them on the whole time, front row. Why would you drive at night with no headlights?

Reactions: AlpenChariot
I've never even noticed that because I always ride and middle and the back. Best seats in my opinion. @ControlsEE who said anyone drives at nights with no headlights? Since it's entertainment, it's more fun to immerse yourself in a scary setting where your headlights don't work. In this case it's Verbolten. Consider the fact that the evil spirit lady would not want your head lights to work either. Just out of curiosity, how many curtains did the event building use to have?

Nope. If it was that way, then it doesn’t do that anymore. If you look closely, whether in the front row or just paying attention to the front car, on the diving turn into the second mcbr in the building, you can see the headlights illuminate the ground.
I have no recollection of headlights in the show building or not but simply from a technical standpoint I have to agree with you as the logic otherwise just doesn't make any sense at all. I really think that this was more that the elements that were in the show building absorbed the light rather than reflecting it and nullified the lights rather than physically turning them off. There's just simply no way that the crew would have to plug batteries in at night and have to manually turn the lights on via switch near the wheel on the front car (both clear signs of a system that is independent of any other system) but then have a PLC and/or brushes on the launch track only to send a signal to turn the lights on and off.

Reactions: Coasternerd
I have no recollection of headlights in the show building or not but simply from a technical standpoint I have to agree with you as the logic otherwise just doesn't make any sense at all. I really think that this was more that the elements that were in the show building absorbed the light rather than reflecting it and nullified the lights rather than physically turning them off. There's just simply no way that the crew would have to plug batteries in at night and have to manually turn the lights on via switch near the wheel on the front car (both clear signs of a system that is independent of any other system) but then have a PLC and/or brushes on the launch track only to send a signal to turn the lights on and off.
Systems very often have a manual power switch in addition to other controls which are only active once the system has been powered on. Especially when you have batteries which you want completely disconnected from the circuit when not in use.

To everyone who insists that it doesn't do that, it is another broken feature. They definitely did turn off for at least the first few seasons that the ride ran. You could see it in the cameras that the ops watch. Would turn off right before the 1st launch fired and would turn back on as the train left the vertical drop. Not sure entirely how it worked, but the creative team didn't want the lights to interfere with the effects in the building, so that's why they did that. [Warning: snarky comment ahead. If you don't take this kind of humor well, please stop here] In case anyone wasn't aware, Verbolten is not a driving simulator and is not, nor was it ever, intended to be a recreation of driving through Germany.

[...] Verbolten is not a driving simulator and is not, nor was it ever, intended to be a recreation of driving through Germany.
The acceleration and sudden brake stops sure simulate the Autobahn experience very well though.

The only thing missing is the 2nd train coming up from behind with it's blinker on, trying to pass.

Sounds more like the DC beltway. No one uses blinkers and you have to pass on the right because all the slow cars are in the left lane.
The right lanes are full of nails. If you are in Northern VA you should have been given the memo. Absolutely always move immediately from the yield lane to the far left lane as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad