Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Attraction Type
Roller Coaster
Status
Existing

Manufacturer
ZIERER

Model
Elevated Seating Coaster w/ Vertical Drop Element

Hamlet
Oktoberfest (Germany)

Official Opening
May 18, 2012

Soft Opening
May 11, 2012

Tallest Drop
88ft

Top Speed
53mph

Inversion Count

Launch Segments

Riders Per Train

Number of Trains

Height Requirement
48in

Verbolten is an indoor/outdoor ZIERER Elevated Seating Coaster that features a Vertical Drop Element. It officially opened in mid-May 2012 on the site formally occupied by the Arrow Suspended Coaster, Big Bad Wolf.

Videos​

Development Documentary​

Ride Recordings​

On-Ride Videos​

Backstage Footage​

Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
Sounds more like the DC beltway. No one uses blinkers and you have to pass on the right because all the slow cars are in the left lane.
The right lanes are full of nails. If you are in Northern VA you should have been given the memo. Absolutely always move immediately from the yield lane to the far left lane as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
I'll be there this weekend. Hoping to get some good night ride experiences on Verbolten, so maybe I'll slowly work my way over to that side of the park. How has the ride been operating so far? What's the Black Forest been like? Are all the themes working or is it stuck on storms?

netdvn

Team Instinct
Jan 12, 2012
in the rear
dvn225.deviantart.com
All three themes always play one after the other. If they're running three trains, each car will have a specific theme, but if they're running more, it's usually up to chance what you get.

While the headlights are designed to cut off before entering the building, sometimes they did stay on. I've ridden with headlights on in the building before. The headlights do allow you to see a bit more, but they aren't very bright so it doesn't take too much away from the experience.

Apr 11, 2017
All three themes always play one after the other. If they're running three trains, each car will have a specific theme, but if they're running more, it's usually up to chance what you get.

While the headlights are designed to cut off before entering the building, sometimes they did stay on. I've ridden with headlights on in the building before. The headlights do allow you to see a bit more, but they aren't very bright so it doesn't take too much away from the experience.
Went to the park yesterday. I had a blast. Got some good night rides on Vebolten. I managed to get the were wolf theme and evil spirit theme. Overall, the ride still runs good. Just think it's time for the park to add a few things to the experience.

Jun 13, 2011
I brought someone to the park today who has never been and was not familiar with any of the attractions.

As we went right in Scotland towards Ireland, she never saw ANY of Verbolten until we got to the ride and saw the entrance as we were approaching from the Festhaus. She had no idea it had an indoor section, the drop track was certainly a surprise, and the final drop to the Rhine was also entirely unexpected.

I was and am very jealous of her experience.

Dec 13, 2021
Wow. I never knew there were people stationed inside the building in case something happens. This is all news to me. Verbolten is my favorite ride at the park. I've always wanted to think that we're in the building alone until the ride gets back. The reason why I've always thought this, is because many people pull their cameras out on the ride. I guess the park doesn't seem to care much, nor are they going to stop the ride just for one smart phone.

Aside from that, how is the ride doing this year? Have they re-installed the curtain near the vertical drop, to block the sunlight? Also, has the park fixed the issue of the (STORMS) theme that keeps running each time the train enters the event building? This was a known issue that occurred towards the end of last season.

Also, does the park have any plans on adding enhanced theme to the ride? Imagine a werewolf animatronic that looks like the one in the attached picture?
(Just to clarify before I start, this is not just targeted at this person, just what I chose to reply to)
The argument that Verbolten needs more/ different theming would change the philosophy of the ride's premise as I understand it from what Busch Gardens has advertised. The black forest is to be mysterious. You don't know what's in it, right? When talking about the wolves, how they display them now matches the premise.
Something is lurking in the forest, you can't be mysterious if you're having the antagonist jumping out at you. Having the wolves eyes, allows for both clarity (recognizing evil red eyes & wolf howling) & mystery (the body of the wolves are not seen. They're hidden) I believe the creative team did an incredible job with creating this balance.

I also agree that Verbolten is surprisingly intense, which leads to my next point:
People can only take in so much when their bodies are being put through the powerful sensations of a thrill ride.
There's a reason rides like Hagrid's slows down for the areas with animotronics: People simply will not be able to take in & process what's going on.

While Verbolten is not as theme & narrative heavy as some of us would like, sometimes you have to have a narrative that is vague enough for people to take in. If the plot is too specific & the ride is too fast or intense for people to take in, you will end up will people who are confused. Verbolten's structure allows for understandable theming for first time riders, but enough to form a deeper story for those who ride more often or ride enough coasters to be able to process their surroundings better than the average person.

I study themed entertainment & production design academically & am part of TEA, which is why I feel I can state my opinion confidently.
This isn't to say I'm an asshole, I love discussing this stuff & hearing others' opinions :)

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
Last night I went to a coaster in Oktoberfest and had my heart broken. I've always had a strong emotional connection to the coaster, but tonight was the first night that connection has lead me to tears. I've seen the coaster go through bad times and I've seen the coaster go through good times but, through all of that, Verbolten was still the coaster and that bond between the coaster and I remained. Yesterday, that bond was severed. I didn't feel the heartbeat of the coaster- that coaster in Oktoberfest that I went to last night felt cold and dead. All the things I had ever loved about the coaster had been completely erased and replaced. After getting over the initial shock, I quickly realized that the coaster that had always been under all the nonsense- through the good and the bad- wasn't there last night. That connection- that link that has caused me to stand by the coaster for so long- was gone.

I know there's people reading this right now that are scoffing at the idea that I love and stand by the coaster but those people have to understand something: Standing by the coaster doesn't mean standing by Verbolten. Verbolten is simply a management structure full of incompetence and ignorance that has been given the right to do as they please with the coaster. Throughout the coaster's history, we've seen different eras of management affect the coaster in different ways- some good and some bad but, like I said, the coaster could still be seen under all that garbage and fluff so I still cared and I still had hope. Looking at the state the coaster is in right now- not just the bridge, but everything that's happening internally and throughout the rest of the chain- as of this morning, my hope is gone.

That leads me back to the two words at the top of this thread. I'm done. As much as it pains me to say it, I can't write about a ride that I see no hope for. I don't have anything to defend anymore. I don't have anything to stand up for anymore. The thing- the coaster- that I have spent the last 10 years defending is dead- all that's left behind is the garbage someone piled on top of it. There have been times when things looked rough, but I've always been able to point to something someone could do to fix it. That's no longer the case. I don't see a way to fix it. It feels too far gone.

Over the last few years, I've seen these occasional sparks of hope coming out of that coaster in Oktoberfest. It hasn't been much, but those sparks- those little things that cause me to hope that things are turning around- are what have kept me going this long. Last night, every last one of those sparks had been extinguished- the coaster's heatbeat had flatlined. The coaster was dead. Trust me, there's nothing I want more than to see another spark of hope or to hear another faint heartbeat from under the rubble but, until that happens, I'm done.

I'll still try to keep up with this thread, but until I see something positive to grasp onto come out of the coaster, I fear I'm just another radical on the verge of letting their Verbolten Quick Queue lapse and that isn't the type of person who should be writing on the Verbolten thread.

Apr 11, 2017
@Mushroom I know how you feel man. The same happened for me when I rode The Mummy in Florida back in 2005 and then came back in 2010. Ride was not as fast up the launch as it use to be. @Katelynplusbaymax is right on a few things. Can't argue with professionals. But one thing I do know, is that regional theme parks generally do not keep A grade theme for attractions in mint condition as the ride ages. The issue comes down to, who's responsibility is it, and does anyone really care if a few SFX are offline. As I learned last night at Pantheon, is that there is a maintenance technician that is responsible for closing 3 different rides in that area. So they no longer due night walks for the rides to retrieve lost items, because they have to do the same thing in the morning. Some where after all the work, comes your SFX. It's a lot of work to keep those things going, let alone if half the staff even notices it. A few riders may get off and notice certain things not triggering, but the park's concern is that the ride works.

Dec 13, 2021
@Mushroom I know how you feel man. The same happened for me when I rode The Mummy in Florida back in 2005 and then came back in 2010. Ride was not as fast up the launch as it use to be. @Katelynplusbaymax is right on a few things. Can't argue with professionals. But one thing I do know, is that regional theme parks generally do not keep A grade theme for attractions in mint condition as the ride ages. The issue comes down to, who's responsibility is it, and does anyone really care if a few SFX are offline. As I learned last night at Pantheon, is that there is a maintenance technician that is responsible for closing 3 different rides in that area. So they no longer due night walks for the rides to retrieve lost items, because they have to do the same thing in the morning. Some where after all the work, comes your SFX. It's a lot of work to keep those things going, let alone if half the staff even notices it. A few riders may get off and notice certain things not triggering, but the park's concern is that the ride works.
I absolutely agree! I wish that there was a specific position that over saw the integrity of the rides! I feel like not only is it unfair to park goers but also , unfair to the companies that worked tirelessly on designing the rides. One unfortunate thing in the industry is that, rides, etc. have elements that are very specific even if people don't notice, that can change the experience for better or worse; when those things are not maintained, the ride is taken from the metaphorically hands of designers & put into the hands of the park who can alter it in negative ways. I wish manufacturers were able to have contracts that required parks to maintain minimum integrity aspects, but I have no idea how that would work.

Dec 13, 2021
Last night I went to a coaster in Oktoberfest and had my heart broken. I've always had a strong emotional connection to the coaster, but tonight was the first night that connection has lead me to tears. I've seen the coaster go through bad times and I've seen the coaster go through good times but, through all of that, Verbolten was still the coaster and that bond between the coaster and I remained. Yesterday, that bond was severed. I didn't feel the heartbeat of the coaster- that coaster in Oktoberfest that I went to last night felt cold and dead. All the things I had ever loved about the coaster had been completely erased and replaced. After getting over the initial shock, I quickly realized that the coaster that had always been under all the nonsense- through the good and the bad- wasn't there last night. That connection- that link that has caused me to stand by the coaster for so long- was gone.

I know there's people reading this right now that are scoffing at the idea that I love and stand by the coaster but those people have to understand something: Standing by the coaster doesn't mean standing by Verbolten. Verbolten is simply a management structure full of incompetence and ignorance that has been given the right to do as they please with the coaster. Throughout the coaster's history, we've seen different eras of management affect the coaster in different ways- some good and some bad but, like I said, the coaster could still be seen under all that garbage and fluff so I still cared and I still had hope. Looking at the state the coaster is in right now- not just the bridge, but everything that's happening internally and throughout the rest of the chain- as of this morning, my hope is gone.

That leads me back to the two words at the top of this thread. I'm done. As much as it pains me to say it, I can't write about a ride that I see no hope for. I don't have anything to defend anymore. I don't have anything to stand up for anymore. The thing- the coaster- that I have spent the last 10 years defending is dead- all that's left behind is the garbage someone piled on top of it. There have been times when things looked rough, but I've always been able to point to something someone could do to fix it. That's no longer the case. I don't see a way to fix it. It feels too far gone.

Over the last few years, I've seen these occasional sparks of hope coming out of that coaster in Oktoberfest. It hasn't been much, but those sparks- those little things that cause me to hope that things are turning around- are what have kept me going this long. Last night, every last one of those sparks had been extinguished- the coaster's heatbeat had flatlined. The coaster was dead. Trust me, there's nothing I want more than to see another spark of hope or to hear another faint heartbeat from under the rubble but, until that happens, I'm done.

I'll still try to keep up with this thread, but until I see something positive to grasp onto come out of the coaster, I fear I'm just another radical on the verge of letting their Verbolten Quick Queue lapse and that isn't the type of person who should be writing on the Verbolten thread.
I'm sorry about your heart being crushed due to the lack of maintenance & neglect on this poor ride. However, I'd encourage you to not give up hope quite yet.
There's been a trend recently of parks revamping rides, (I.e. The Mummy at Universal FL, Jolly Rancher Remix at Hershey), we all know that BGW has been money grabbing, so I hope that soon, they'll notice that parks can spend much less money revamping rides & still get more crowds to come ride the "new" attraction.
More & more people are noticing the neglect of Verbolten. They know. They have to. I honestly wonder if BGW is holding a "It's fine bc we'll revamp is soon" attitude. It's fairly common in the industry to write things off due to a planned referbishment. Again, don't give up hope too soon :)

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Mar 16, 2016
I'm sorry about your heart being crushed due to the lack of maintenance & neglect on this poor ride. However, I'd encourage you to not give up hope quite yet.
There's been a trend recently of parks revamping rides, (I.e. The Mummy at Universal FL, Jolly Rancher Remix at Hershey), we all know that BGW has been money grabbing, so I hope that soon, they'll notice that parks can spend much less money revamping rides & still get more crowds to come ride the "new" attraction.
More & more people are noticing the neglect of Verbolten. They know. They have to. I honestly wonder if BGW is holding a "It's fine bc we'll revamp is soon" attitude. It's fairly common in the industry to write things off due to a planned referbishment. Again, don't give up hope too soon :)
The issue is those parks have showed interest in keeping things fresh. SEAS rather take the money and not reinvest in their product the was people want them to.

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
As I learned last night at Pantheon, is that there is a maintenance technician that is responsible for closing 3 different rides in that area. So they no longer due night walks for the rides to retrieve lost items, because they have to do the same thing in the morning. Some where after all the work, comes your SFX. It's a lot of work to keep those things going, let alone if half the staff even notices it. A few riders may get off and notice certain things not triggering, but the park's concern is that the ride works.
Couple of notes here. While I worked there (2011-2017) maintenance never did a track walk at night for lost articles. They simply put the trains in the bays and went home. Often, they had already been there 8-10 hours for fixing rides and the morning staff were the only track walkers. Not sure if you meant that this was a recent change or not, but my point is that it isn't a recent change. The issues to verboltens specific effects comes down to the fact that 2 departments were in charge of Verbolten: Ops and Entertinment. The regular maintenance staff only took care of the ride mechanical and electrical components and entertainment was responsible for all of the themeing. I would guess that entertainment was usually too busy to be bothered by a few out of place lights, then not working lights, etc. to deal with Verbolten at all. If you want someone to blame for Verbolten's downfall, it's the Entertainment dept. I want to say (aka dont quote me on it) that in the first year of operation, Entertainment had to do a morning ride though and sign off before they could open.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Couple of notes here. While I worked there (2011-2017) maintenance never did a track walk at night for lost articles. They simply put the trains in the bays and went home. Often, they had already been there 8-10 hours for fixing rides and the morning staff were the only track walkers. Not sure if you meant that this was a recent change or not, but my point is that it isn't a recent change. The issues to verboltens specific effects comes down to the fact that 2 departments were in charge of Verbolten: Ops and Entertinment. The regular maintenance staff only took care of the ride mechanical and electrical components and entertainment was responsible for all of the themeing. I would guess that entertainment was usually too busy to be bothered by a few out of place lights, then not working lights, etc. to deal with Verbolten at all. If you want someone to blame for Verbolten's downfall, it's the Entertainment dept. I want to say (aka dont quote me on it) that in the first year of operation, Entertainment had to do a morning ride though and sign off before they could open.

I'm not upset about anything 😊. When it comes to rides like this, I enjoy riding in the darkness. I've heard better stories on how the ride use to be back when it was built. In my honest opinion, it is a very short time inside the Black Forest. If more of the SFX were working, I can't imagine it would be very dark. I've been told that you weren't always able to see the building walls? So I guess the experience was more immersive when all the SFX were working?

Hey, maybe it's just me; but does anyone ever imagine owning their own park and being able to cater towards riders? This thought has circled my mind. Being able to walk inside an event building as the owner and knowing how everything works. Enthusiast come back the next weekend and everything is great again.

Reactions: Coasternerd

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
If more of the SFX were working, I can't imagine it would be very dark. I've been told that you weren't always able to see the building walls? So I guess the experience was more immersive when all the SFX were working?

When Verbolten had all of it's internal fabric walls, the building was MUCH darker. There's is FAR more light bleed in the building today than there was back when it opened.

Coasternerd

What’s better than one coaster? 2 coasters!
Dec 7, 2021
When Verbolten had all of it's internal fabric walls, the building was MUCH darker. There's is FAR more light bleed in the building today than there was back when it opened.
Unfortunately that is true. Having done the coaster insider tour this year, the tour now features a lights on tour of Verbolten. While I won’t say too much, it’s all one room with the exception of the drop track, in terms of the scenes and such

Here’s a pov from opening year (spirit theme) when all the effects worked:

Last edited:
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad