Existing Roller Coaster Verbolten

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Aug 9, 2017
Hold up. Your grudge against Verbolten was that it replaced Big Bad Wolf? You know they built Verbolten because Big Bad Wolf had to close, right? Not the other way around...
Yeah, I realized that. It's more that the previous ride's reputation was legendary and the current ride doesn't wow me enough to make me not sore about missing its predecessor.

And you can't deny that a big warehouse is an aesthetic downgrade from the landscape that was there before.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you mention before that you never actually rode BBW?
Correct. I ended up becoming a suspended coaster fanboy because I sought out the remaining examples and enjoyed them more than this. I still consider Ninja and Vortex the best coasters of Magic Mountain and Canada's Wonderland respectively (though technically Ninja is tied with Tatsu, and Yukon Striker may end up tying with Vortex if I return).

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Pretzel Kaiser
Feb 14, 2019
With any luck they'd do a refurb when project 2021 is debuted - or if they don't have the $ then it's within the 5 years capex budget.

GrandpaD

STAY THE F HOME!
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
With any luck they'd do a refurb when project 2021 is debuted - or if they don't have the $ then it's within the 5 years capex budget.
If LNM is any indication, don't expect much. Saturday was (once again) a trip into a dark, black cave with nary a special effect. Yet, my last ride a couple of years ago, all the effects and Nessie were working fine.

It's just a frickin' shame it's like pot luck to catch a ride working like it's designed.

Apr 19, 2010
It speaks to some serious issues with their maintenance staff...perhaps that have nobody on staff that knows how to deal with these electronics? Seems unlikely, but the results speak for theirselves

It's also quite probably, and most likely, that they have no inspections or check lists for making sure all show items are working

GrandpaD

STAY THE F HOME!
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
How exactly does an effect that requires a strobe light and a speaker become “gone for good”? I totally believe you; I just don’t understand how they can’t maintain something so simple.
I think he was replying to my comment about LNM's maintenance in relationship to Verbolten's.

Oct 7, 2011
Does anybody know whether the removed set pieces are still in existence somewhere? In storage vs. in a dumpster?

Jun 3, 2010
Newport News, VA
It speaks to some serious issues with their maintenance staff...perhaps that have nobody on staff that knows how to deal with these electronics? Seems unlikely, but the results speak for theirselves

It's also quite probably, and most likely, that they have no inspections or check lists for making sure all show items are working
Mostly, it's that the maintenance division is massively understaffed and under-budgeted. They do the absolute best they can with what they are given. Trust me, they are also frustrated. But when it gets to the point that your maintenance carpenters have to track walk InvadR because Busch won't hire the people needed in rides maintenance, things like theming unfortunately become low priority.

Alf33

Life is short, so eat dessert first.
Jun 8, 2013
Yesterday evening I was standing in the queue line for DD and there was a group of five or six people behind me that were talking about riding VB earlier. Listening to them they all seemed to like it. A couple of the guys thought it was really cool that you went inside the event building and it being dark, which they thought was unusual and cool. They also mentioned that the drop caught them by surprise and they loved that unexpected scare and then the launch out. I found it interesting how they talked about it being they were not familiar with it.

Feb 14, 2019
While I find it to be a bit gimmicky with the vertical drop track - would be nice if it dropped further without any warning - it's still a fun ride overall and I don't mind riding when given the chance.

It doesn't help that we on the forums dissect everything under a microscope so that while I do agree it could definitely be better, it's not bad.

Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
How many millions did they spend on this ride initially? It seems like such a waste of money when they won't even maintain it properly
A very reasonable price of $54 million was spent on Verbolten. The number is extremely high, but it does seem slightly feasible due to the event building, re-utilization of the BBW footers, and the fact that it was essentially a prototype coaster for Zierer.

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
Keep in mind that the 54 was not just for the ride track and vehicles, but all of the work around the ride too. I believe I heard that renovating the queue and station cost almost 2 mil out of that alone.

Reactions: warfelg
Sep 24, 2018
I have never seen concrete proof of the $54 million. I have heard lots of numbers over the years ranging from some $25 million to $54 million.

If the $54 million is accurate then, as previously discussed in this thread, there is a lot of costs that went into it and not just the actually coaster itself. Reusing the footers and the queue house from BBW would have been expensive to convert.

Personally I think the $50 million figure that gets thrown around is for the entire cost of the Oktoberfest renovation that included Verbolten, Pretzel World and Mach Tower among other improvements to the area.

Reactions: LudwigII
Login or Register to Hide This Ad