Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Nicole said:

Sometimes the park will file permits for small things way, way earlier than when construction/installation is scheduled to be performed. While the permit was filed now, actual construction of the fireplace may not start until later this month, or next month, which is what I would guess since they stop daily operation after Labor Day.

I meant "now" as opposed to when it was built; not "now" as opposed to the Fall.

That should have been a working fireplace from the beginning. I'm glad they are doing it now, however.

The fireplace in New France really does add to the ambience during Christmastown, so I'm glad they did add a working one this year.

Does anyone remember when there used to be peacocks in New France? I remember them in the early 2000s. Kids would chase them and I secretly hoped one would bite them.

I miss things like that. Honestly I miss the whole look and feel of the area before the Trappers Smoke House renovation.

Reactions: Mushroom
The peacocks generally stayed in the Trappers Village area, but also frequented the maintenance buildings. They would come and go through the buildings all the time.

Reactions: Zachary
My mom worked for the park in around the mid-90s and the peacocks were roaming around that time as well. I remember seeing them hang out at the France Train Station.

Apparently they were fairly mean and would sometimes attack so employees had a healthy fear of them.

Reactions: Zachary
The peacocks and peahens are free to roam about the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk.  They can often be found in the parking lot and have on occasion been known to range out into the adjacent neighborhood.  Aparently every once in a while the zoo gets a call to come collect their bird(s) as they are intimidating someone's relative.

Thomas said:
I woke up to a group of peahens in my back yard once. Never figured out where they came from... I don't think I lived near a zoo.

I read this first as you woke up while sleeping IN your back yard and there just happened to be a flock of peahens. I'm just going to go with that being the truth.

The carver had a heart attack? I thought that was the guy from the Forge at Mistletoe Marketplace...

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad