Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
This all looks way more expensive than I would have expected. It's amazing that they can justify this much work for a few-week-long event.

The parade came out of the gates next to Twisted Timbers at 9pm and stopped along Candy Apple Grove, where I took the video. After it passed us, we went over to ride the antique cars and went back up to Eiffel Tower around 9:45pm. I expected that the parade would have made its way up to Eiffel Tower and continued out a gate, but at 9:45pm all of the floats were still lined up and there was still dancing right there in front of the stage. While the dancing and singing and music was going on, spectators were able to get good close-up looks and pics of the floats (which were stationary and lights on) and that was really nice to see up close.

Oh yeah, and at the food booths be sure to look for a blue pamphlet called "Grand Carnivale Passport" as it has a directory of the country displays (which are all on International Street) and the menu items for each.

Thanks for the video of the parade. CF/KD certainly went over the top on this event!

The only thing I could suggest is having scattered spots of diffuse light shining down on the parade route. The grove paths are pretty dark and you can barely see the parade performers. With all the money spent on the elaborate costumes, I would think you would want to show them off more.

Keep in mind that the spot lighting would be diffuse and not harsh. I guess the park could set up temp light poles 12-15 feet high and have 2-3 spots on each one. Those spots could be of one color or changing colors; about 12 feet in diameter when projected on the street. They could be staggered along the parade route; maybe 12-14 feet apart. They would "highlight" the costumes as the parade performers pass by.

The floats are very impressive, and not something I would have ever expected to see in KD. The food booths and cultural displays / photo op locations are pretty nicely done, too.

It is a shame that staffing across the park seems to have taken a deadly nose dive compared to our early Spring visits over the past couple of years. After today, I remember why I haven't visited KD in the Summertime in almost 30 years.

Reactions: Mushroom
It is a shame that staffing across the park seems to have taken a deadly nose dive compared to our early Spring visits over the past couple of years. After today, I remember why I haven't visited KD in the Summertime in almost 30 years.

This should hopefully change once the rest of KD’s international employees arrive by the end of the month.

Yes, basically the same. The floats looked great, tons of lights, sound system was well done, everything about it I thought was awesome. There were a ton of employes working to pull this off. From costumed, to parade route staff, float drivers and directors and support staff the number of people working on this was pretty high. On just our float who had no costumes people there was a driver, a person directing them, two people keeping us stocked with beads, and about 8 people walking alongside the float.

Tried some Carnivale dishes today, sadly could not stay for the parade.

I was not impressed with the food. I had a ham and cheese crepe from France, which had pre-made crepes that were fairly dry. I did really love their crepe holders which you could slowly unravel though! (see attached photo). I think Busch Gardens could really benefit from these in Aquataine.

I had the Emperor's Ribs in China. Perhaps the spices were a tribute to the Emperor's New Clothes, because as far as I could tell, they didn't really exist.

Lastly I tried the curry taco in India, which was by far the worst. Really overcooked chicken, way too much sugar, didn't really taste at all like curry.

I had high hopes... but I don't think I was the only one disappointed. There was no line at any booth anytime I walked by.

Attachments

• 64979784_552998522198007_4885580519594524672_n.jpg
    64979784_552998522198007_4885580519594524672_n.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 0
The parade tonight stepped off about 20 minutes late. The signups for riders also filled up quickly today.

There is an article in the October 2019 edition of Amusement Today magazine concerning the "Grand Carnivale" event held at KD, KI, WOF, and Dorney this summer. It appears that Cedar Fair is pleased with the outcome of the event. It will expand to Carowinds and Valley Fair for 2020. Cedar Fair is adding a 3rd float fleet to accommodate the newly added parks for 2020. (The article is on the 5th-6th page in the issue - use the right arrow to page into the magazine).

Amusement Today - Grand Carnivale

I assume the original 4 parks will have the event again next year. If they gradually add this event to a couple CF parks each year, the chain could get 6-8 years out of each original float fleet. Say, for example, the two California parks get the event in 2021; Then, CP and Canada's wonderland gets the event in 2022.

After the 2nd year, maybe CF rolls out a new set of floats and picks different countries to be represented in Grand Carnivale version II. It appears CF could get at least a 6 to 8 year run of this event in the CF chain.

With Carowinds getting a Winterfest themed parade this year, it is strongly possible that KD could see this parade in 2021 or 2022. (Though, with the short run time of Winterfest, CF will need to build 1-2 more float fleets to rotate every couple years to different parks).

Last edited:
I thought this event was incredibly well done. International Street was beautifully decorated and brimming with actors by day, lending theming and life to the park that I’ve never seen at the park before. The parade was also shockingly well produced and felt very Disney-like in quality and scale (the song especially felt like something straight out of the Magic Kingdom), and I was pleased to see it drawing a considerable crowd even on weekdays.

I’m glad CF has seen success with the event and I’m excited to see where KD takes it next year.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad