Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Rebel Yell

FFS how dense are you to get offended by “Rebel Yell”?

I thought that was obvious.

“The rebel yell was a battle cry used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Confederate soldiers used the yell during charges to intimidate the enemy and boost their own morale, ...”

Source.

I think an important distinction to be made is that Candy Apple Grove is predominantly set in the 1920s, not the 1950s. The former Wayne's World sub-area is the only 50s themed part of Candy Apple Grove. However, it would be reasonable to consider Rebel Yell part of the "50s" area given the proximity of its entrance to that space.

However, I reject that a coaster whose name alludes to the year 1975 does a better job of fitting either the 1920s or 1950s theme. It is the inclusion of the year, not the "Racer" name, that bothers me.

I agree with both of you about the ambiguity of Rebel Yell's name. Candy Apple Grove's 20s theme was more prominent in the KECO years, and I had hoped more of it would be evident with the 40th Anniversary refurbishments. Today, the most compelling signs of the era are the architecture of the Carousel, Wave Swinger, and Victoria Gardens, as well as the 20s barbershop makeup of the Singing Mushrooms. Until the 90s, 20s ragtime jazz played as the area's soundtrack.

That said, the more I look at it, the more Racer 75 could fit the 50s area of Candy Apple Grove. The logo is giving me serious 50s vibes, and I suppose it would be fair to say that although the "75" was inspired by the year 1975, it doesn't have to directly refer to it.
racer-75-logo.png

Nicole said:
I thought that was obvious.

“The rebel yell was a battle cry used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Confederate soldiers used the yell during charges to intimidate the enemy and boost their own morale, ...”

Source.

The ride had no Civil War theming on it. It's not the same as having a confederate flag.

It was red, white, and blue... those are the confederate flag colors. Hopefully, they repaint it so I don't have to think about slavery next time I ride.

Reactions: jornor

Actually, the term “Rebel Yell” has a very specific and generally understood meaning. You can’t actually separate the phrase from the Confederacy. Furthermore, there has been merch that references the Star and Bars.

I'd post more of the more extreme reactions, including my comment suggested I thought it was disrespectful to the soldiers, but they're too depressing and would get me banned.

Holy shit, nobody ever has the right to say we get too passionate about the parks again.

Usually I find a renaming of an attraction to be a positive change for the park. It can change the identity of an attraction that might have a lackluster name without character. A rename can breathe new life into an attraction in dire need of help. However, when a ride has been open for 43 years and has a massive fan base being one of the most well known coasters in the Mid Atlantic if not the East Coast, that does not warrant a name change.

While I understand that the name change is supposed to help fit the attraction into the Candy Apple Grove section, isn’t the section towards Twisted Timbers themed to the 50’s? Also, isn’t the main midway with the Singing Mushrooms based in the 1920’s? How does an attraction referencing 1975 the year Rebel Yell open supposedbly fit in the area? Now I understand the logo does give off a 1950’s vibe and it’s a great logo no denying. But, if the park is concerned about immersive theming how does Safari Village fit together with NASCAR, aliens, movie backlot, and a safari theme?

Now, for those who felt passionately offended by the name Rebel Yell, instead of continually going to the park and being dissapointed in the name, why not make the power move and go to BGW or a different themepark? I’m guessing it was a small niche of people who were offended, but it’ll show up in the attendance reports.

To end on a positive note, really enjoy the logo, fits in nicely with some of the other logos the park has produced in recent years.

Thomas said:
When you ride Rebel Yell, you'll be screaming "More, more, more." It would be a great ad, and all the riders could have spikey hair from their ride experience.
That reminds me, fun fact, the Paramount-era website referenced the song in the description on the rides list.

Very true. I don't see the park going g 100% theme perfect, but this is their first coaster in how long? They really want to make it special, which I can respect.

It would be cool if the park moved the red and blue '55 Bel Air cars from Juke Box Diner's patio to near Racer 75's entrance.

With a little creativity and landscaping they could evoke the idea of drag racing, which was popular in the 50s, and of course would suggest that the red and blue trains are "drag racing."

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad