Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Rebel Yell

Thomas said:
Rebel Yell definitely follows the long-standing tradition of being best in the back.

Best in the back.. but definitely not best ON the back. We made the mistake of sitting mid train in the back of one of the cars. That thing is like a torture device. No other ride have I thought I was going to rupture a disc on. Only this one. It was like a jack hammer. This ride was on the left side (Lake Charles side.)

strycker said:
Thomas said:
Rebel Yell definitely follows the long-standing tradition of being best in the back.

Best in the back.. but definitely not best ON the back.  We made the mistake of sitting mid train in the back of one of the cars.  That thing is like a torture device.  No other ride have I thought I was going to rupture a disc on.  Only this one.  It was like a jack hammer.  This ride was on the left side (Lake Charles side.)
Same thing happened to me in August..been actually scared to ride it because of the pain I had last time.

Reactions: strycker

The Facebook group "Kings Dominion Historians" has a photo of the lift hill/first drop on the Rebel Yell having only the vertical bents standing. All the track from just before the apex of the hill down the 1st drop is gone from both sides.

Reactions: jornor

So basically you're going to think you're on a smooth ride until you wake up at Kings Dominion.

I really hope they continue where they started with these rides. I understand it's tough to do everything at once.

Reactions: horsesboy and John

Retracking is happening on the South side, with track ripped out at the turnaround and its drop. I haven't ridden that side recently, but had noticed some of the races South would lose a lot of speed on the way back. Guess it couldn't wait.

Therefore only North is open.

https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/big-changes-coming-to-candy-apple-grove

This is being renamed to "Racer 75" and they confirmed more track work.

Edit: People are not happy with the name change.  They see it as a "liberal PC" move apparently.

bdeTuzX.jpg

I don't think the Rebel Yell name change has something to do with the PC. It's more like (correct me if I am wrong) Racer was a common name in the 50's, so it kinda makes sense what are they going for since the area around Twisted Timbers going to be themed to the 50's and apples.

That's my take away as well. It makes sense to give it a more iconic coaster name that matches the ACE landmark status as well. Not to mention that the "Rebel Yell" theme hasn't made sense at the park since the 80s.

On the contrary, I had heard long ago that management was deliberating on what to do about the potentially offensive nature of Rebel Yell's name. The source I had heard the rumor from was equivalent in reliability to the Dippin' Dots guy, but I can't think of any other reason to rename a 40-year old classic coaster now.

Personally I am not a fan of the change.

They're clearly trying to revamp the area given the changes outlined in the blog post.  If it was politically motivated:

A) I can't blame them given the current, uhm, "political climate".
B) Maybe a civil war coaster was never really appropriate to start off with, despite how culturally ingrained it is in the area.
C) It fits in the area better than a reference to the civil war.
D) It's a convenient time to change it with the rest of the area.
E) It is celebrating it's own culture and the culture of coasters.

Also, I'm not interested in debating the politics of the situation, so just don't.

I'm fine with this renaming. I like to think of it as a nod not only to ACE, but to Racer over at KI. At least they added the 75 to distinguish it.

I don’t love the new name, because it sounds genetic to me. That said, in my opinion, it is a huge improvement over “Rebel Yell,” which seems to harken back to the 1860s, not the 1950s.

Especially since it is not in the Old Virginia section of the park, it seems like a completely random name, which serves no purpose and probably offends a certain percentage of KD’s guests.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad