Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
It's an artistic representation of NSA spying, duh. No wonder Scott left, nobody saw his vision.

I also noticed that the actual "Monster Stomp" elements seem to be the only thing in this show that keeps most people's interest. I honestly think this would have been a show on its own if they didn't have people breathing down their necks to bring Monster Stomp back.

While I do still like this show, this one always registers as a near miss for me. The entire thing is too much all over the place for my taste. Is this show returns next year, I want them to choose between Monster Stomp or Ripper Row. Combining them defeats the purpose of making this a dark show. Also, while I would like to see them attempt a dark show, I can think of very few "dark shows" that I actually enjoyed. In my opinion, some things simply have no place in a 30 minutes or less format.

That brings me to the 30 minutes or less format. This show should be at least 30 minutes. It barely clocks in at 25. While I understand the need for more seating in the theater, the removal of the pre-show makes this show seem two minutes shorter. It's not that I thought the pre-show was mind blowing by any means, but at least it made an already short show feel somewhat more satisfying. Like I said, if this show is to return, they need to perfect their formula a little bit more.

Bonus: Here is a GIF that I made of "Beat It".
x51hgen.gif

I miss the actual Monster parts of Monster Stomp. :/ Besides the skeletons, which still make absolutely no sense to the show, (Neither does going to hell for being murdered, but y'know.), the drummers are the only other part of the show that has stayed true to the previous incarnations.

Every show has had drummers. The original version they were butchers who drummed to Weird Al's Eat It. And the second version they were a variety of Monsters drumming together. (Although the original version had several other drumming moments, which the singers and dancers also created a beat as well. It wasn't all the drummers. Sigh, I miss the Gravediggers.)

I have to agree with CoS, if it comes back next year, it needs to pick between Monster Stomp or Ripper Row. Because honestly, the only thing in the show that gets like a real cheering applause is the skeletons and the drummers. Everything else is a calm applause. and I'd like to see them get a better applause, but I don't see that being possible with the show being what it currently is.

Reactions: Zachary
I don't think I would see this show at all if they didn't have the live drummers on the kits stationed around the stage. I wouldn't really mind the coffin drumming being gone, but the live percussion makes it "stomp" to me.

Also, I'm fairly certain the show is 20 minutes, not 25.

David2015 said:
I don't think I would see this show at all if they didn't have the live drummers on the kits stationed around the stage. I wouldn't really mind the coffin drumming being gone, but the live percussion makes it "stomp" to me.

Also, I'm fairly certain the show is 20 minutes, not 25.

I actually happened to look at the time just as the lights came up and we began to leave, it was 21 minutes after the hour. (I dont remember which hour we went). I commented that I was surprised that the show was only 21 minutes.

angelicurrr said:
Zimmy said:
I have to admit, I really fail to understand the appeal of the whole skeleton thing.

I find it so great because it's one of the only things that's remained the exact same since the show first opened in the Canadian Palladium. Choreography aside, everything else is the same. Nostalgia is why people go nuts I guess!

Right,
From the beginning the dancing skeletons just seemed, well, cheesy. But then again I have only seen 2 shows at any theme park I have found palatable. (spoiler, none have involved projection)

We felt like the main voice for Jack the Ripper needs to be a lot more sinister too. He was way too show tune like for the part he was supposed to be playing. Wife said the same thing about the story being all over the place and nothing really making sense. The knife guys are the best part of the show. They're really the talent amongst the group. The singing was a bit harsh during our show. The leading lady singing was shrill and they had her mic way up. I know this is just a park show and not Broadway, but it could be a lot better if cleaned up a bit and packaged correctly. We skipped 'Fiends' because 2 out of 3 shows didn't impress much and the line was insanely long.

I'm probably the only one who thought this but the new Ripper's facial expressions always came off as very Tim Curryesque to me.

Reactions: Applesauce
They need to take this show out back and shoot it dead.

We saw it last Saturday at 5pm, and it was just painful. It's offensive to MS version 1 and 2 to even call this train wreck Monster Stomp. How dare they. Who told that poor girl she could sing?

Do you know why MS1 and MS2 worked? They weren't as polished as this mess is attempting to be. They were fun. They were silly.Kinda campy. People loved it. HoS shows used to be the comedic relief of the night, and they were all very popular. I don't know if anyone remembers MS when it was in the Pavilion, but most shows were standing room only. If you wanted a seat, you better park your butt there as soon as people left the previous show.

I'm sure I sound like I'm pining for the 'old days,' but good God, it's just embarrassing. Maybe they need to stop trying so hard?

I remember one night there was people standing by the old lost and found building in New France watching Monster Stomp, on a Friday night. I wish the park had a mid-size outdoor theatre, something about the atmosphere of being outside while watching Monster Stomp was just so fitting. I like the current Monster Stomp but it's not in the same league. Although it still pulls in a solid crowd Fiends pulls in more people and that show doesn't really appeal to some people. Hopefully some day they return to the Monster Stomp format, not Monster Stomp plus a couple of segments about the Ripper. Monster Stomp is simple, all you need is Monsters and Stomping!

RocketChk said:
We saw it last Saturday at 5pm, and it was just painful. It's offensive to MS version 1 and 2 to even call this train wreck Monster Stomp. How dare they. Who told that poor girl she could sing?

I don't like to put down the people in the production, but her voice was extremely shrill. It was nasally and high pitched. Just didn't sound right. We watched the 1:30 show in hopes to make the 2:30 Fiends, but that didn't happen as the line for Fiends was all the way to France. So we bailed and didn't wait.

Reactions: Mushroom
Personally, I enjoy the show for what it is.  It could be a lot better though and I do really miss the old versions of Monster Stomp.  I've gone to Howl-O-Scream every Saturday and Sunday night this season and my mom absolutely loves the show so we see it every time we're there.  I went and saw the 5pm show today and we got there 5 minutes before showtime and they had us and about 20 other guests standing on to the side because there weren't any seats available.  Initially, they had us go to the left side upon entering the theater where the actors run down at the beginning of the show, then moved us to the other side because they didn't want us getting in the way of those actors when they run down.  Also, before the show, they had one of the workers getting the crowd hyped up having us do the wave and everything.  It seemed to help energize the crowd because they seemed to be more into the show than usual.

I like the show enough to where if it stayed another season or so, I wouldn't be upset, but I do hope they take it out for something better or overhaul it to where it was more like previous versions of Monster Stomp, but I guess we'll see.  Also, I've never had a problem with the lead girl.  Her voice is a little shrill, but not to an intolerable level.  She's not great, but I think she's good enough.  I don't expect these people to be top-notch singer/actors so my expectations aren't all that high.  I think we can all agree though, that this show needs to make some significant changes to be a real draw.

Reactions: netdvn
BGW Family said:
Clarification: Which "lead" girl are we talking about? Short red hair or long black hair?

I believe the girl with the short red hair is the lead, and the one with long dark hair is the understudy if I'm not mistaken. Of the times I've watched the show, I've only seen the girl with long dark hair play the lead once.

I've only seen the girl with short red hair, and she's not really what I would call shrill. Wondering if these people saw the understudy.

Reactions: Rhaw757
It could have been the mics or the sound levels at the show. It was definitely the redhead at our show. Almost 99% certain. It was 1:30 on Sat the 17th if that helps.

Just got back from the final show of the season. The crowd was really into it. Everything got huge cheers and that fueled the performers too, especially the lead girl. She went all out and it was definitely the best show of the season that I saw. Crowd gave a standing ovation at the end. As flawed as this show is, I do enjoy it and I wouldn't mind seeing it back next year with some minor tweaks and improvements.

Reactions: Zachary and Flyer
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad