Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
The Kookaburra is the coolest guy in there, if you ask me. You usually can just go pick him up and scratch his head.

Don't bother trying to feed him, though - he's a carnivore.

Word of caution...be careful when offering your hands to the birdies to step on and climb up your arm. My daughter got her little fingers nibbled pretty hard by two red 'keets who thought she was feeding them I guess. She cried. It broke my heart. Maybe keep your fingers curled up to minimize munchables for little bird beaks. You know, like when offering your hand to a dog to sniff; keep those fingers tucked in.

Talked to a couple of ladies at Lorikeet Glen today. I had thought there were many more birds in the aviary last season than what we are seeing this year. I was told that they had reduced the number by about half. Wow! I remember barely being able to walk two steps without one or two birdies landing on my head and shoulders.

Also, they were actively discouraging guests from trying to pick up the 'keets. Apparently the birdies have been getting pissed off this year and biting much more (see one of my earlier posts from April). These weren't quick little warning nibbles, but full-on "I'm gonna bite the sh!t out of you if you don't leave me alone!" bird bites.

The ladies said they have been trying to rotate as many of the grumpier birds out and bringing new ones in. I can confirm that there appeared to be many newer types of birds, though much fewer in number in the tour. Yet another disappointment. This one seems to be more related to pesky guests practically chasing the birds when they don't really want to be touched or picked up. Kinda like chasing a cat; you may get bit.

Also, the little "Flash Gordon" wooden box of terror with all of the little critters like scorpions, tarantulas, etc. will not have its lights turned on during the day while it is really hot. They said in the evening or on cooler days is when you will get a look at your scary creatures in the spotlight.

I wish BGW's Lorikeet Glen was a cool as BGT's. I went in the a couple years ago, so my memory is bad. I think they had a running stream in there with the birds. They had a TON more birds, including some very big ones that if they landed on you, you would be pinned to the floor. They didn't just have littel, cute Lokikeets, they had BIG birds. (Not Sesame Street Big Bird, but that would be awesome!;)) Also, the big difference between the two is, BGT's is HUGE Their one Lokikeet covered area was as big as that entire area of Wild Reserve! It puts BGW's to SHAME! On a lighter note, yeah, I got nothing.[/size]

That's true. The one at BGT is huge. In fact, I think they have even used it as a Howl-O-Scream maze location. I just love the tranquil atmosphere of the wildlife reserve here at BGW.

Good thing we are going Saturday/Sunday with family. I will have to remember that. :)

Celticdog said:
I was talking with a handler today, and the birds will be moved out of the aviary and into their winter shelter prior to HOS starting. So if you want to get your Lorikeet love, you only got about two and half weeks left. Maybe less if it gets colder sooner.

Did the handler the reason why they are moving them so early? Prior years the birds have been there during HOS

violetfemme said:
Celticdog said:
I was talking with a handler today, and the birds will be moved out of the aviary and into their winter shelter prior to HOS starting. So if you want to get your Lorikeet love, you only got about two and half weeks left. Maybe less if it gets colder sooner.

Did the handler the reason why they are moving them so early? Prior years the birds have been there during HOS

I love the 'keets! The weather has been crazy this year. I heard it said that this will supposedly be a really cold & early winter. Farmer's Almanac anyone?

Reactions: Nicole
Celticdog said:
violetfemme said:

He didn't specifically say, other than if it gets colder they will be moved sooner. I mentioned the use of the fog and he stated that sometimes that will influence their decisions.

I know last HOS we started off using a quick dissipating fog fluid for the fogger in front of the lorikeet's just so that the fog would not affect them as much. Then a few weeks in someone switched it with regular and it never got put back :)

Love the lil' birdies!!

Attachments

• Lorikeet Glen 1.JPG
    Lorikeet Glen 1.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 17
  • Lorikeet Glen 2.JPG
    Lorikeet Glen 2.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • Lorikeet Glen 3.JPG
    Lorikeet Glen 3.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
  • Lorikeet Glen 4.JPG