Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Well in that case—here’s the dark ride idea.

The Wolf Temple Expedition

Backstory:

The Whey Foundation has uncovered old research from a previous expedition many years ago, to which all the signs point to an undiscovered and rumored additional temple in Jungle Xpedition. The Whey Foundation has taken it upon themselves to continue the research of the previous expedition’s research, which was conducted by the Lost World Group.

The Ride:
Leaving base camp, you embark on a journey to find a remaining temple that supposedly a myth but hasn’t been proven to exist yet. (This would be the queue) Then, the actual line starts with a Grimmwoods-esque section, about 100 yards outdoors/covered, music and various animal sounds. As you get further in, the music turns to a creepy sound, you see an overturned jeep with some kind of claw marks that have ripped into the side of the truck. You question what could have done that. You start to begin to hear a howling wind. And right before you go into the temple (the station) you see another overturned vehicle, this time more shredded than the first with snakes and such slithering around. (Board ride vehicle here) And as you enter you hear a whisper of a spirit telling you “it’s not safe! It’s after you!!! *voice fades away*”. You then start to wonder just what the spirit is talking about and you start to hear sounds of rustling leaves, branches snapping. (In this temple it’s been taken over by nature so there’s lots of bushes and such inside). You round a corner that is covered in ivy and hear crickets chirping, making you think you’re safe. Rounding another corner, you see a giant hieroglyph of an absolutely humongous wolf, and in the distance you hear a lone howl. You travel deeper into the temple finding more and more hieroglyphs of this wolf, and start to see a flickering light, and once you get to it, the light goes out. But not before you see a pile of bones. Once the light goes off, you hear a loud snarl and you see a red glow coming from behind you. You make a u turn around the next corner and come face to face with the wolf that was in those hieroglyphs and realize it wasn’t just a myth, it’s real, and you now quickly start heading toward a light source you can see faintly illuminating the hallway that leads out. You head in that direction, hearing the wolf chasing after you and howling, and as soon as you exit the temple the wolf howls, growls, and realizes that you managed to make it out. Once you exit the temple (unload platform) you are greeted with sunshine and have a walk back to base camp.

Thoughts?

Great idea, but I'm curious - why wolf? They aren't traditionally thought of as a tropical jungle animal, whereas something like a jaguar or a caiman (for the wet part of the jungle) would be more likely. Given the chase sequence, jaguar would be better.

Of course, since a wolf is well represented at BGW, it'd be cool if they could integrate a lion somehow as a nod to the former lion country safari.

Last edited:
Great idea, but I'm curious - why wolf? They aren't traditionally thought of as a tropical jungle animal, whereas something like a jaguar or a caiman (for the wet part of the jungle) would be more likely. Given the chase sequence, jaguar would be better.

Of course, since a wolf is well represented at BGW, it'd be cool if they could integrate a lion somehow as a nod to the further lion country safari.
Wolf was thought of originally, but I don’t see why a jaguar or lion couldn’t be done instead. My original basis was a year round walk through haunt, (thus the wolf for the fear factor) that evolved into the idea you currently see. Also, there’s another Easter egg in the ride idea.

Last edited:
So with volcano being one of the most if not thee most iconic defunct coasters, I wonder how much hype the announcement of the replacement will build up. Could it be bigger than SV announcement or TTD reopening? Or even son of beast and banshee or Orion hype? Not to compare I just want to know how much hype we can expect and if it will boost attendance a whole lot. And I hope when they do announce it, they go all out with promotion tv ads, social media promo, billboards, and hopefully the news.

So with volcano being one of the most if not thee most iconic defunct coasters, I wonder how much hype the announcement of the replacement will build up. Could it be bigger than SV announcement or TTD reopening? Or even son of beast and banshee or Orion hype? Not to compare I just want to know how much hype we can expect and if it will boost attendance a whole lot. And I hope when they do announce it, they go all out with promotion tv ads, social media promo, billboards, and hopefully the news.
I feel like if their marketing team is smart, they will. If they are feeling extra *spicy* they may decide to time it with BGW’s 50th Anniversary/their Festhaus park coaster. It depends on how good the replacement is - and I’m hoping it’s going to be good. KD needs a solid new coaster, and one that could pay homage to Volcano would be great. I’ve heard rumors that the launched B&M wing shuttle coaster that’s going to Chessington was initially similar to what was planned for KD before it was scrapped. I’m thinking my preference would be an S&S Axis (but Cedar Fair has been burned by prototypes), a well-themed Intamin Mega Coaster (but with features that would differentiate it from Pantheon), or a well-themed B&M flyer (not a wing - there’s nothing similar around except Nighthawk at Carowinds, and that’s getting up there in age).

I’m thinking my preference would be an S&S Axis (but Cedar Fair has been burned by prototypes), a well-themed Intamin Mega Coaster (but with features that would differentiate it from Pantheon), or a well-themed B&M flyer (not a wing - there’s nothing similar around except Nighthawk at Carowinds, and that’s getting up there in age).
Batwing is also a Vekoma flying coaster, Six Flags America is the second closest major park to Kings Dominion.

Reactions: Nicole and bill s
I always forget about Six Flags America.
It's OK. Back in my late childhood when Six Flags had those commercials with the bus and the dancing guy, I lived in Richmond, and didn't even know Six Flags America existed. I played RCT2 so I knew about SFoT, SFMM, and Gadv.

I feel like if their marketing team is smart, they will. If they are feeling extra *spicy* they may decide to time it with BGW’s 50th Anniversary/their Festhaus park coaster.
Isn't KD's 50th also in 2025??? Wouldn't they be marketing their ride for their 50th?

Edit: before the keyboard warriors start furiously typing "kD hAD prEvIeWS iN 1974 So tHe 50Th ceLebRaTiON sHOulD beIn 2024...", I think the park has equal claim to either year since they didn't fully open until 1975

Reactions: Unagi and PNDS
Isn't KD's 50th also in 2025??? Wouldn't they be marketing their ride for their 50th?

Edit: before the keyboard warriors start furiously typing "kD hAD prEvIeWS iN 1974 So tHe 50Th ceLebRaTiON sHOulD beIn 2024...", I think the park has equal claim to either year since they didn't fully open until 1975

KD did a two year celebration for the 40th. Hopefully they'll do the same for the 50th—making 2024 and 2025 fair game.

I imagine 2024 for park improvements, celebration stuff, etc. and then the 50th Part II with a major ride for 2025.

I had created a thread for the 50th for anyone to discuss ideas about what will happen when it comes.

The 50th thread created by @cschnizer is here:

I’d say if I think about it now:

Most satisfying possible replacement:
Mack Xtreme Spinner
mack Launch coaster
S&S Axis
Gerstlauer Infinity
B&M Mega
B&M Flyer
B&M Invert
Vekoma tilt coaster in a pipe dream world
Any of the above with flats

Satisfying but not the most exciting:
B&M Wing
GCI
Smaller coaster with a bunch of flats

Sure, whatever:
B&M Surf
A bunch of flats and no coaster (if split into phases this goes back to one of the above two)
Zamperla spinner

At the park today, I don’t see a ton going on at Backlot. I’m not sure if that’s a sign it’s just Backlot for 2023 or the project hasn’t started yet but just noting there doesn’t appear to be much going on with it as of today. Perhaps they’re saving the retheme for when the eagle/cat temple is discovered
I'm going to pop my response over here because it fits more here:

I wonder if they aren't going to spread more out with the Jungle X concept, but rather go into Volcano's spot and leave BLSC, Anaconda, FoF, and I-305 as an untamed area and given a super generic name. Put a really small scale or compact coaster back in there, like a family suspended caster, and 2-3 flats.

I'm going to pop my response over here because it fits more here:

I wonder if they aren't going to spread more out with the Jungle X concept, but rather go into Volcano's spot and leave BLSC, Anaconda, FoF, and I-305 as an untamed area and given a super generic name. Put a really small scale or compact coaster back in there, like a family suspended caster, and 2-3 flats.

The in-universe maps of Jungle X make it pretty clear that those rides will be part of a future Jungle X expansion. One of the illustrated maps inside Outpost Cafe shows Flight of Fear, I305’s terrain and hill shape are drawn on one of the main maps, and Lake Charles under Anaconda is referenced in several maps — complete with a nod to the lake being infested with snakes.

The in-universe maps of Jungle X make it pretty clear that those rides will be part of a future Jungle X expansion. One of the illustrated maps inside Outpost Cafe shows Flight of Fear, I305’s terrain and hill shape are drawn on one of the main maps, and Lake Charles under Anaconda is referenced in several maps — complete with a nod to the lake being infested with snakes.
But no Backlot. I just hope that one gets included with them.

Ok, so what I've come up here is a rough idea of what I've been thinking as of late. Kings Dominion gets a Gerstlauer Infinity dive coaster with a Sky Roller (like a package deal) in the Volcano plot. I'm not the best NoLimits 2 designer and there are some things I would still change about this, but it's a summary of the layout. The coaster would be roughly 150 feet tall with a 100 degree drop after the holding brake. Then it would pull out into what I know looks like an Immelmann but it's meant to be a rollover inversion like those on the Vekoma Top Gun coasters. Following a banana roll, there could be an overbanked turn that takes the ride behind the patch of trees. Back there would be a zero-g stall with a subsequent half-corkscrew exit, a "zero-g stall-winder" if you will. Heading back toward the lift hill, maybe one more inversion and a quick airtime hill before swerving into the brakes. A key is also present marking the different elements. But still, there is stuff I would change such as integrating a few extra bends and a helix before the "stall-winder." Both rides would make up the bird temple in Jungle X-Pedition. The coaster would be called "Hydrohawk," themed around the osprey bird, while the sky roller would be named "Vulture Vortex." And I should've measured distance before putting in the sky roller space, but it is what it is.
Volcano Successor Rough.png

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad