Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

1900x500_bgw_events_hos_eventinfobanner.ashx

Official Website​

Attraction Lineup​

Haunted Houses

1. Inferno [New] - Location: Pompeii (?)
  2. Death Water Bayou [New] - Location: Festa Field
  3. Nevermore Chapter 2 [New] (Updated & Relocated) - Location: Drachen Fire Station Building (?)
  4. Witch of the Woods [Returning] - Location: Oktoberfest Woods Maze
  5. KILLarney Diner [Returning] - Location: Ireland Simulator

Terror-Tories™

1. Dead A-head [New] - Location: France
  2. Gorgon Gardens [New] - Location: Italy Gardens
  3. Scary Tale Road [New] - Location: Rhinefield
  4. Meat Market [Returning] - Location: New France
  5. Ripper Row [Returning] - Location: England
+ Roaming Hack Pack [Returning] - Location: Where you least expect it​

Shows

1. Jack is Back [Returning] - Location: Ireland
  2. Phantoms of the Festhaus [Returning] - Location: Festhaus
  3. Skeletones [Returning] - Location: San Marco
  4. Monster Stomp® on Ripper Row [Returning] - Location: Globe Theatre
+ ZomBeats [Returning] - Location: France?​

Party Zones

1. DJ Marie Antoinette Party Zone [New] - Location: France
  2. DJ Masquerade Party Zone [New] - Location: Festa Italia
(These are listed as new, but seem to be in the same areas as the party zones in 2021)

BOOze Bars

1. Stone-Cold Spirits [New] - Location: Italy Gardens
  2. Pete's Provisions [New] - Location: New France
  3. Back Alley Bar - Location: England
  4. Jack's Nightcap - Location: Ireland
  5. Frost Bar - Location: Oktoberfest
  6. BarKastle Spirits - Location: Oktoberfest

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll probably get a ton of hate for saying this, but I really wish Howl-O-Scream didn't happen every year. I'm probably the only one that feels this way. I completely understand and appreciate it's importance in the park operation. But, there's not much I'd rather do than experience BGW in the Autumn weather without the park covered in unimpressive Halloween decorations and thousands of rude people. Core Busch Gardens Williamsburg is something I truly enjoy. Quality rides, shows, restaurants, European theming, and no special event. Every month having a special event just makes the park a sandbox for entertainment, and to me, that muddies my experience.

I'll probably get a ton of hate for saying this, but I really wish Howl-O-Scream didn't happen every year. I'm probably the only one that feels this way. I completely understand and appreciate it's importance in the park operation. But, there's not much I'd rather do than experience BGW in the Autumn weather without the park covered in unimpressive Halloween decorations and thousands of rude people. Core Busch Gardens Williamsburg is something I truly enjoy. Quality rides, shows, restaurants, European theming, and no special event. Every month having a special event just makes the park a sandbox for entertainment, and to me, that muddies my experience.

I think the last part of that you're saying I think is a core problem causing your desire for less HoS.

Instead of putting good effort towards a small handful of successful events, they decided to try to make more money (or at least impress shareholders more) by doing several... But didn't spend the money/effort/time on ensuring they're all high quality. They probably also didn't do a whole lot of research to indicate if these extra experiences add or detract from their core guests experiences...

None of the other events are substantial compared to HoS or CT. I might have agreed at some point Sunday that they would be better giving up, but HoS can be a truly great event. It really shouldn't start so early, give us a few weekends regular before and after, maybe even a special late nights weekend (you can't expect to keep HoS hours without something to get people there?).

Will it most likely be busy tomorrow? I'm guessing it probably won't because it's a Friday in September, but you never know.

Reactions: Ice
Hoping it stays middle of the road, though the weather is gonna be fantastic.

My first impressions of the event based off tonight are very positive. For a Thursday, event felt a lot better than last year energy wise from the actors. I'd say Nevermore 2 is a vast improvement, Killarney Diner is still strong, Inferno is fine, Witch of the Woods was straight up trash. By far the most conflicted I felt was Death Water Bayou. I know compared to Tampa it is vastly inferior, but wow are some of the sets in this house just awesome. The venue lends itself very well to the theme overall, and I like the set execution. I'd say actors were spread a bit thin (though totally fine for a Thursday) and there isn't necessary an overarching "story", but other than that it serves as a great little house I'll enjoy for a while. It honestly reminded me of why I liked Cut Throat Cove so much, sure it isn't perfect but the immersive sets and the different theme than one would expect is just fun to get lost in.

Last edited:
I have to say tonight was just wonderful. I have had bad experience in the past with houses and scare zones under staffed on low attendance nights but that was not the case tonight. On top of the actors were energized and really into it to night despite the lack of a crowd had more scares tonight then I think I have had any other 3 visits combined job VERY well done.

Tried out all the houses yesterday. Not bad for BGW.

Nevermore is a clear improvement over last year and the new houses are pretty decent.

BUT...

Who the hell came up with the path routing to Witch of the Woods?
It's like a 15 minute hike around the outer perimeter of the park just to get there and then again at least half of that to get back.
And not a lick of theming along the path, even though there would have been some good opportunities to put a prop down here or there to get people into the mood.
I did every other house twice last night at different times to check out the different staffing levels over time, but there is no way I hike all the way around the Festhaus and down to the forest twice in one night.

Also not a fan of the Musik in the park at all. It's almost like every area is a Party Zone.
Doesn't feel spooky or like Halloween at all in most of the park.

The DJ in Festa Italy spent most of his time shilling for the games and stores in the area.
Don't really need commercial breaks from a DJ.
"Forecast for tomorrow is as low as 57 degrees. Better pick up a Howl-o-Scream sweater at the Tempesto gift store!"

Tried out all the houses yesterday. Not bad for BGW.

Nevermore is a clear improvement over last year and the new houses are pretty decent.

BUT...

Who the hell came up with the path routing to Witch of the Woods?
It's like a 15 minute hike around the outer perimeter of the park just to get there and then again at least half of that to get back.
And not a lick of theming along the path, even though there would have been some good opportunities to put a prop down here or there to get people into the mood.
I did every other house twice last night at different times to check out the different staffing levels over time, but there is no way I hike all the way around the Festhaus and down to the forest twice in one night.

Also not a fan of the Musik in the park at all. It's almost like every area is a Party Zone.
Doesn't feel spooky or like Halloween at all in most of the park.

The DJ in Festa Italy spent most of his time shilling for the games and stores in the area.
Don't really need commercial breaks from a DJ.
"Forecast for tomorrow is as low as 57 degrees. Better pick up a Howl-o-Scream sweater at the Tempesto gift store!"
I will defend the path routing on many nights the line is long enough to justify that route. One of the issues that I see is BGW hasn't consolidated lines down on nights when they don't need these massive Queue heck last night they stationed security between the exit to which and the entrance to Nevermore to force people to walk all the way out to the plaza not take a short cut to get to Nevermore.

Alright, so I’ve ranted on BGW enough. And even after cancelling my pass I was given the opportunity to come to Howl O Scream for free today and with that I did.

Howl O Scream sucks. Sucks really, really bad this year. Nothing is open, lines for food and drinks suck, probably because nothing is open. The mazes are all mediocre at best and that’s being nice. Hardly any fog. Too many dead zones.

As a FREE consumer today, I feel ripped off somehow. Makes me really appreciate some of the local haunts we have. Makes me really appreciate the product that Kings Dominion has put out recently.

I feel bad for making this post but honestly hoping somebody from BGW reads this. Howl O Scream went from something good to something I’m telling others to skip.

Edit: All Howl O Scream employees. Thank you for what you do. I’m so sorry that your management doesn’t do much to help you and that your company values profit over your well being.

Last edited:
Alright, so I’ve ranted on BGW enough. And even after cancelling my pass I was given the opportunity to come to Howl O Scream for free today and with that I did.

Howl O Scream sucks. Sucks really, really bad this year. Nothing is open, lines for food and drinks suck, probably because nothing is open. The mazes are all mediocre at best and that’s being nice. Hardly any fog. Too many dead zones.

As a FREE consumer today, I feel ripped off somehow. Makes me really appreciate some of the local haunts we have. Makes me really appreciate the product that Kings Dominion has put out recently.

I feel bad for making this post but honestly hoping somebody from BGW reads this. Howl O Scream went from something good to something I’m telling others to skip.

Edit: All Howl O Scream employees. Thank you for what you do. I’m so sorry that your management doesn’t do much to help you and that your company values profit over your well being.
Ive wanted to say KD Haunt is better in here but didn't think it was the time nor place, but now that the cats out the bag, it is and has been for like the last 5 or more years lol How can an almost left behind Cedar Fair park have better themening and atmosphere and possibly budget than a top tier park in the country and entheausist perspective. Why does KD get better staffing? It's the same drive from richmond crowd to KD or Busch. Then you have VA beach crowd to Busch as DC crowd is to KD. Just doesnt seem right and I can't think of a logical excuse for the lack of stuff im hearing. Did Pantheon, DarkKastle, and possibly the black forrest ride coming play a factor in budget costs? Sorry for the bad grammar I didn't do the best in school. Lol

Reactions: aceistheplace
I'm not sure about that drive estimate - KD is far closer than BGW to the Richmond market, VB through Wburg is the home crowd and Richmond is more the stretch market.

More to your point though, KD exists in Doswell, where there's few other businesses beyond a truck stop and the state fairgrounds; otherwise it's mostly farms and fields. BGW exists in a fairly developed area. So it's definitely interesting hearing the park that is basically in the boonies has an easier time to get staff.

I know of people who have given up jobs at BGW and now drive notably further to KD instead. The justifications for ditching BGW are always the same: treatment and pay. BGW treats their employees as entirely disposable and they pay them NOTABLY less than Kings Dominion. Hell, BGW even pays less than GoKarts Plus up the road for identical positions.

BGW's staffing problem isn't an environmental one—it's a result of the fact that BGW pays laughably low wages and working for BGW now is notoriously awful.

I know of people who have given up jobs at BGW and now drive notably further to KD instead. The justifications for ditching BGW are always the same: treatment and pay. BGW treats their employees as entirely disposable and they pay them NOTABLY less than Kings Dominion. Hell, BGW even pays less than GoKarts Plus up the road for identical positions.

BGW's staffing problem isn't an environmental one—it's a result of the fact that BGW pays laughably low wages and working for BGW now is notoriously awful.
Ah, I didn't wanna believe thats what it was but it seems so. Pretty sad considering the employees there are so nice and seem happy vs KD. It's like chikfila vs a Mcdonalds lol

I know someone that lives in Tampa and commutes to Orlando for the same reason.

Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad