Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
The doors are forgivable, the lack of awnings is not. Also, the newly exposed side of the RPT backstage door is hideous.

Awnings? Awnings? You're unforgiving of awnings? A church wouldn't have awnings. The first thing I did when I bought my house was rip off the awnings! If I was critical of anything about this I'd say create more architectural detail to make it look more like a cathedral, but not awnings.

It has been my experience that in France, doors are sometimes mismatched; awnings, occasionally unattractive.

My favorite Aquitaine experience was walking through that part of the park with a beautiful French exchange student in 1996. In terms of the hamlet's accuracy vs. the real France she knew, generally she was nonplussed.

(Maybe too many of the doors matched? ;) )

But then we walked past that old overhead clothesline running between a couple of exterior walls. She stopped in her tracks and laughed: "Okay, yes, THAT'S actually pretty authentic."

Great moment.

I get that. That place is not really Aquitaine either, but that's not the point. I said add more architectural detail to make it look more like a cathedral. As if to say more church-like, more gothic. It is big enough to look like a church though. The whole park is a set...suspend disbelief.

I agree, the towers are very plain. I don't think it needs to be styled like a church, but more detail than flat walls would be appreciated.

Reactions: Party Rocker
OK- first I must say hi to halfabee. Now I have that song in my head... "...hoo hoo hoo hee hee hee~ Eric the halfabee".

Renovations:

One thing I would imagine to be a nice addition to the front of the building, and over the two scrolled doors, would be some sort of rustic signage or maybe an awning or archway.

I cannot be happier over the improvements in France. The interior of Le Belle is beautiful with the stone wall, wine cellar, and dark wooded features. I had one of those gasping for joy moments when I walked inside. The themeing was spot on.

As far as seeing the stage door.. this is pass member preview and the first day the park has been opened. Give it time.

^Exactly.

This isn't the final product. I can't tell you how many times things have been added after preview day. So let's give them a week or two before we go really judging all of this.

Did everyone forget this weekend is a test run? That goes for all departments.

Well, in this case, I can't see how they plan on tastefully blocking the Catacombs/Penguin entrance doors considering they completely bulldozed everything in the way and replaced it with low planters and paved seating areas.

Reactions: Zachary
I love the look of La Belle Masion now, it is very classy; which I believe the doors fit that feel of classy-ness. I do agree with Nora, I think they should've added a sign, archway, or awning to make it more not just there. If there was one of those things I am sure the doors wouldn't look so awkward just standing there by themselves. However, a sign by itself probably wouldn't do that.

I have never like the plain walls, I think a more gothic architecture would fit better and some more detail to give it some more authenticity. I will say I think sometimes we match too many things. Going off of what halfabee said, if you go to a real village in France or some other places in Europe, the whole town does not match. Every door is different, every window is different, and that type of detail and work, to me at least, is what makes something authentic. Your not just cookie cutting windows and doors, you are really in a place where one guy has a different door than his neighbor. The only thing that I could think of to make this idea pop to anyone is think of townhouses. I hope that is a sufficient example of my point?

I do love how that area out side of the RPT is now wide open. I can imagine they might setup a queue line there for special events/concerts. The big doors are kind of awkward and out there but to be completely honest, I don't mind them as much and they definitely aren't as bad as the new doors for La Belle.

Just out of curiosity, when did they relocate St. Mike to the current spot? I thought it used to be in the middle of the main part of town. The current location appears to be right after you cross over the railroad tracks coming from Ireland. (Keep in mind that I have not been to the park in about 8 years now).

The statue was cleaned and moved to that location to open up that pathway a bit... same reason they removed the pearl shop. That plaza was a massive bottleneck.

Alpenghöst said:
Was that an attempt at wit?
I'm trying to point out that just because something isn't big enough to be just like something else, it can still be extremely similar. You said that the building could never be a cathedral because it is simply not big enough. The building not being big enough doesn't mean it can't feel like one. It's all about the illusion. :angel:
Alpenghöst said:
That building could never be a cathedral, it's simply not big enough.

The entire point of a cathedral is to be big... you can't force the look and feel of something large into a single small room.

You totally missed my joke :/ But I do see where you say the point is to be big; honestly you can still give it a church feel and you can still make it cathedral like. Obviously Curse of DarKastle is not big enough to be a real castle, but the immense theme of the architecture of the outside and inside gives you a the feeling like it is a real castle.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad