Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Has anyone else noticed that they tend to run out of items on the last day of the weekend? We noticed this last year and again this past weekend. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this or is it just because we go on memorial day weekend.

It's hit or miss. I noticed last year a few thing ran out here and there, but nothing in particular was trending. The park can't really tell how well something is going to sell on any given day, especially the new items. Last year we went straight to the Greece booth for some baklava and the were fresh out at 2:30 on a Friday!

Reactions: jpcommons
We enjoyed some of the F&W offerings on Friday. Baklava was a bit dry, but had a good flavor. It seemed rushed. Next up was Asia and we had the chicken dumplings. They were really good! We would have bought another if it came with 3 instead of 2 dumplings. I didn't feel value here. Next up was a delicious cannoli in Italy. This thing was awesome! After a few rides we hit up the Caribbean booth. I got Gamba fritters and the misses got a Bushwacker. The fritters were not as good as last year but there were more than 15 under the heat lamp so I fear they had been sitting for a while. Bushwacker did not disappoint. Next up was a ride on Alpie, and then we had some banana foster cheesecake in France. This was also quite delicious as well. Thanks to the previous reviews for pointing me in the right direction for tasty treats. I'll look forward to the main site review for my second trip to try some other things. Ta Ta.

Reactions: GeoUSA and Sky
Went to the park today with my dad as a last hurrah before he goes into the hospital tomorrow, and I had set the goal for today for him to at least try some of the foods at F&W.

My dad is a notoriously picky eater. He does not like trying new foods. Mostly because if he doesn't like it he'll end up feeling like he wasted money on something, and now he'll have to purchase new food to replace the old stuff. So I agreed to pay for said food, since I've tried it previously and was recommending him things that I thought he'd like.

We started off at the Scandinavia booth with the Smørrebrød. In his words he "wouldn't get it on his own, but if he was on a deserted island with only that to eat. (He) would eat it." Which is my dad code for: It's good but not something I'd buy. (he had a hard time keeping a straight face to tell me this, because I knew he'd like it and he kept telling me that he wouldn't.)

Then we hit up Ireland and got the Bangers with Colcannon. He did not like the colcannon, but he did like the sausage.

After Ireland, we headed over to France, where we got the Coq au Vin. He wasn't a fan of it. His big thing though was that it had mushrooms in it. And nowhere on the sign or the menu books does it say it has mushrooms. and since the mushrooms were mostly chopped up, it could be somewhat dangerous because of mushroom allergies. My dad only knew there were mushrooms in it because he some how managed to find the only whole slice of mushroom in the stew.

We left France and headed to Germany, where we got the Schinkennudel. He enjoyed it, it was probably his favorite thing.

The last booth we went to was Scotland, where I tried very hard to get him to agree to eat a Scottish Egg, but I lost on that. (My dad has a taste aversion to hard boiled eggs) So we got the Shepard's Pie. He thought it was decent, and would get it again. But, Shepard's Pie is nothing new to him.

I have to say, even though we didn't try everything, I think I did a pretty damn good job at getting him to try new foods. And I'm pretty proud of that.

Speaking of parental reviews, I took my mom to the park yesterday and she tried s few things. She's not very picky though and she just picked whatever she wanted from a couple of menus, and also mapped out what she'll be trying next time. Yesterday she had the gamba fritters at the Caribbean booth, and the shepherd pie at the Scottish booth. She loved them both. She'll be trying the France and Germany booths next week.

We spent the entire day at the park yesterday. I have to say the Souvlaki in Greece won the whole Festival for me. My husband is still a fan of the Currywurst. I also really enjoyed the Dishes and a wine (I can't spell any of them!) in France. Unfortunately Canjun, Irish, Scottish and Scandanavian booths were all closed due to weather and we didn't get back to them. There was. Not a line at any of the booths Saturday, makes me sad because I love this part of the park. I hope other weekends are busier.

Reactions: Nicole
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know if you absolutely have to make reservations in advance for Wine on the Rhine? Has anyone done the date night on the Rhine? Is it worth the cost? Thanks for any help!

halfabee said:
Fingers crossed for an interesting dram at F&W.

Well, so much for that. Finally got around to checking the single malt details on the website:

- Highland Park 12YR
- McCallan 12YR
- Glenmorangie Lasanta 12YR

(Yes, Macallan is misspelled on the F&W site.)

A couple of Honda Civics and a Subaru Forester (aka Lasanta). Solid, reliable, fairly unspectacular, but potentially a really good value if the price is right.

Speaking of price, the site offers no help at all in that department. I guess I will just have to be surprised!

Reactions: Nicole
We did the Date Night on the Rhine this year and would do it again.  It was a Friday at 7 and we made the reservation at the park.  There were only three couples (including us) but everyone made sure we all had a good time.  Everything tasted good and the longer boat ride was nice too.  Added bonus, the boat captain slowed and basically stopped to help us get great pics of Apollo.  Just a nice, relaxing 45 minutes.

Reactions: GeoUSA and Nicole
I did a little tasting around the park yesterday, and I found some alterations in two of the dishes I tried. The Mac & Cheese with Peameal Bacon at the Canada booth was already one of my favorite dishes this year, however, there was a distinct difference when I tried it yesterday. Amazingly, they made it better than I had tried before. They seemed to be using larger pieces of peameal bacon(perhaps, even a different type of it), and a sharper/stronger tasting cheese. All I know is that the flavors were much stronger, and it was perhaps the best Mac & Cheese I had ever tasted.

The second dish was one of my favorite desserts at the event, the Scottish Toffe. I get this nearly everytime I visit the festival because of its cheap price, large portion size, and sweetness. Usually, the chocolate chips are mixed in with the Toffe. Yesterday, however, I found that they had prepared it in a much neater way. The Toffe composes the bottom layer, and then on top of that instead of mixing in the choclate chips, they now spread a layer of fudge on top of the Toffe and then sprinkle the nuts(I assume they are almonds) on top. This definitely bettered the presentation of the Toffe, and I think it even improved the taste now since the flavors are spread evenly without, it definitely lowered the chance for inconsistency problems.

My boyfriend and I finally got a chance to swing by Busch Gardens to try a few items. We mostly tried to get items that we hadn't tried in previous years:

*Banh Mi- We both really enjoyed this though we made the mistake of waiting too long to eat it (we carried it down to Italy to eat) and the bread got pretty soggy from the coleslaw.

*Mushi-Gyoza- Sauce were pretty good and I liked the dumplings but they were also just dumplings (nothing special). Not really worth the $5 for two dumplings...

*Muffaletta - Sandwich was pretty good (bread was especially good) though the coleslaw was too spicy.

*Chorizo Empanada- We've had it before but it is one of our favorites. I especially love the sauce and my boyfriend thought the sausage tasted even better than last years.

*Hazelnut Torte- I don't see this on the Spain menu online but I think this is what it was called. Was really not that great. Not terrible but pretty much reminded me of what would come out of an Easy Bake Oven.

* Guinness Mousse- Was only $3 and we both enjoyed it.

Reactions: Zimmy and Nicole
In the past few years empanada has been one of my favorites. Unfortunately in my experience they tend towards inconsistency.

I have not tried them this year, has anyone else noticed this trend?

Zimmy said:
In the past few years empanada has been one of my favorites.  Unfortunately in my experience they tend towards inconsistency.

I have not tried them this year, has anyone else noticed this trend?
Only a few months late here, but I thought the empanada was more than fine. As was the conversation I had with the stunningly beautiful girl in costume standing across the walkway from the booth!

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad