Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Flight is easy to operate if you take the building out of the question. But it's complicated because it has intense fire evacuation procedures. Operators must know where every single door is and know every route possible for guests to exit. Also, every position is assigned different roles in a fire scenario.

Flight is easy to operate if you take the building out of the question. But it's complicated because it has intense fire evacuation procedures. Operators must know where every single door is and know every route possible for guests to exit. Also, every position is assigned different roles in a fire scenario.
Yeesh... Verbolten was easy. If two trains in building, split up, if one train, go together. Doors at bottom of the egress stairs. Walk up the hill away from the building. Other than that, the only rules were don't fall asleep and don't hook up... but that's a discussion for the VB thread

Yeesh... Verbolten was easy. If two trains in building, split up, if one train, go together. Doors at bottom of the egress stairs. Walk up the hill away from the building. Other than that, the only rules were don't fall asleep and don't hook up... but that's a discussion for the VB thread
Bringing this over here: I would say Flight's fire evacuation is much more intense since the building also houses the queue line. But from a ride standpoint- Flight is the same as Verbolten in the thinking of "get them off in the quickest and safest way possible." But since there are multiple positions, the operators need to know their role depending on their position and the train location. Example: Alarm goes off and train is stuck on the launch track, then the restraints operator will evac. But, if the train is on final brake run, then unloader will evac. Some of it is self explanatory because whoever is closest will go to it. Then it becomes a matter of knowing every route possible. You wouldn't want the operator to mistakenly open up a computer room or storage room door thinking that is the way out. But from a training standpoint, you can't assume the operator will know, it has to be reviewed and the operator must recite it back to the trainer.

Last edited:
If anyone noticed, not all the neon floor lights are on anymore. There is maybe only one or two that are on. This was a little better, now that the roof access is closed. Also, the alien cryo-stasis chambers are also on as well. Opening weekend, they were off.

Looking at the aliens gives me a cool idea. When I'm sitting in the front row, I imagine the aliens being able to talk. Would it be cool to see KD incorporate the aliens with the launch sequence? Doesn't have to be Disney level animatronics, but maybe just small movement. They could program it so that a different alien says something each launch.

This in my opinion, should be Flight of Fear's indoor queue music.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mwe BGW and Nibbins
Launches are loud in that space (there's a reason operators wear eat plugs) so I dunno what you'd expect them to do with actual talking animatronics.

Additionally, the guests on the ride won't see it hear it anyways.

And, my guess, there's no budget or concern for maintaining it regularly, so you're more likely going to see the effects turned off after maybe the first season of their existence.

Wait a minute. There was a misconception.

The talking animatronics would say a scary phrase before each launch. All they would have to do is re-program the launch to match the animatronic sequence. The only other noise that would interfere is the subwoofer from the UFO. It's all done with psychology. What you do is add a programmed lighting sequence. That also would be programmed with the dispatch. As soon as the ride operator presses the dispatch, lights dim. When station lights dim, the cryo-stasis chamber illuminates to the blue color and your alien gives a scary spiel. Could just be a 5 to 6 second spiel, before the system launches the train. Easy effect and people would love it.

Also, how do you like the music in the post above?

Reactions: jornor
Technically, you don't have to even program it to the ride system. The sequence can be operator initiated- then after it's complete, the operator launches the train. Now now, I know everyone has their worries about operators not doing it, but Intimidator's "Gentlemen, Start your Engines" is manually played by the board operator every single cycle. So, Safari Village at least has a good track record of using the little effects that still work. Volcano had a themed ride spiel, but it was never updated to the new station. It still said to exit to the right instead of the left, so operators tended to override that portion. It was also kind of difficult to hear if I remember correctly.

Technically, you don't have to even program it to the ride system. The sequence can be operator initiated- then after it's complete, the operator launches the train. Now now, I know everyone has their worries about operators not doing it, but Intimidator's "Gentlemen, Start your Engines" is manually played by the board operator every single cycle. So, Safari Village at least has a good track record of using the little effects that still work. Volcano had a themed ride spiel, but it was never updated to the new station. It still said to exit to the right instead of the left, so operators tended to override that portion. It was also kind of difficult to hear if I remember correctly.

I did not know that. I always thought it was programmed with the dispatch. Same goes for Flight of Fear. There use to be a rocket take off sound that played each time the ride launched. But I guess they took it out while the park was closed for the pandemic. Was that sound also controlled by the ride op?

Does anyone like the theme music I posted for FOF's indoor queue area?

Reactions: Mwe BGW
I'm my observations I think those that are fans of the ride for the ride experience aren't particularly picky about extra theming, they are more excited to get rolling.

Those who are new to riding it are either stoic/indifferent so an extra level of detail wouldn't be as appreciated or they're nervous in which case having the extra little noises and spiels may make them even more nervous - which could be good or bad.

Realistically, by adding the launch spiel sequence, would you be adding to the experience or detracting from capacity with adherence to ride cycle times?

I'm my observations I think those that are fans of the ride for the ride experience aren't particularly picky about extra theming, they are more excited to get rolling.

Those who are new to riding it are either stoic/indifferent so an extra level of detail wouldn't be as appreciated or they're nervous in which case having the extra little noises and spiels may make them even more nervous - which could be good or bad.

Realistically, by adding the launch spiel sequence, would you be adding to the experience or detracting from capacity with adherence to ride cycle times?

I think the theme would be appreciated. I'd even remarket the attraction on the park's website and social media. The ride has been performing well since it opened in 1996. When the shoulder restraints got removed, it made the ride much better. But outside of the slight darkness and neon floor lights, there are no aliens associated with the ride. People have made this comment before. It would take absolutely no effort to improve the theme. I only say this because Bush Gardens in recent years challenges KD in two areas. Launch ride and indoor themed attractions. That answer was "Verbolten".

It would be a easy improvement to spice up Flight of Fear. Potentially it could become a must do ride, again. I remember my graduating year in 2009. As you all know this was before I305 was built. So the must do rides were still Volcano and Flight of Fear. Most people just got a kick out of listening to the spiel in the outdoor queue area and then waiting in the dark hanger area. This ride is special, because there aren't too many alien themed rides around the United States. So let's give it to them.

The rides duration is probably not too much longer than Volcano's was. The only thing that makes it seem a little longer are the breaks at the top of the ride. That spot is the perfect area to add a aggressive alien animatronic. The platform up there is big enough to have some fun up there. I'd say something easy; where it sits in a cryo-stasis chamber. Once the ride comes to a stop, a distress spiel plays and it kicks and bangs on the door until it swings open. It roars at riders, before the breaks release the ride for the rest. I'd put a few smaller alien on the support beam that shoots a small jet of water from the mouth. Some of the other ones could have waving tentacles. For the last of the part of the ride, add a spring controlled animatronic that jumps up at the train for the final cork screw.

• Love
Reactions: SLC Headache
I think the theme would be appreciated. I'd even remarket the attraction on the park's website and social media. The ride has been performing well since it opened in 1996. When the shoulder restraints got removed, it made the ride much better. But outside of the slight darkness and neon floor lights, there are no aliens associated with the ride. People have made this comment before. It would take absolutely no effort to improve the theme. I only say this because Bush Gardens in recent years challenges KD in two areas. Launch ride and indoor themed attractions. That answer was "Verbolten".

It would be a easy improvement to spice up Flight of Fear. Potentially it could become a must do ride, again. I remember my graduating year in 2009. As you all know this was before I305 was built. So the must do rides were still Volcano and Flight of Fear. Most people just got a kick out of listening to the spiel in the outdoor queue area and then waiting in the dark hanger area. This ride is special, because there aren't too many alien themed rides around the United States. So let's give it to them.

The rides duration is probably not too much longer than Volcano's was. The only thing that makes it seem a little longer are the breaks at the top of the ride. That spot is the perfect area to add a aggressive alien animatronic. The platform up there is big enough to have some fun up there. I'd say something easy; where it sits in a cryo-stasis chamber. Once the ride comes to a stop, a distress spiel plays and it kicks and bangs on the door until it swings open. It roars at riders, before the breaks release the ride for the rest. I'd put a few smaller alien on the support beam that shoots a small jet of water from the mouth. Some of the other ones could have waving tentacles. For the last of the part of the ride, add a spring controlled animatronic that jumps up at the train for the final cork screw.

I think that could actually work if you do some renovations to the ride mechanics - that MCBR I don't think has any stators, just standard air brakes and maybe wheel drives. It mostly just gets used as a control point for block sections, and even then it doesn't activate much to my knowledge. This stop for the effects would probably require a speedier method of moving trains from the MCBR to not hinder launch operations... And force lower capacity.

The other thing they would probably need to do would be to either hang scrims and isolate any sounds to just that section, or to extend 'tentacles' or other alien scenery to the ground with the appropriate lighting rigged up.

However, CF is just now headed towards theming and experiences and I am guessing there's still bad blood over Disaster Transport even if that came from a different era in a different park.

My guess is they won't justify the cost s associated, especially if that means the ride also has lower capacity.

I think that could actually work if you do some renovations to the ride mechanics - that MCBR I don't think has any stators, just standard air brakes and maybe wheel drives. It mostly just gets used as a control point for block sections, and even then it doesn't activate much to my knowledge. This stop for the effects would probably require a speedier method of moving trains from the MCBR to not hinder launch operations... And force lower capacity.

The other thing they would probably need to do would be to either hang scrims and isolate any sounds to just that section, or to extend 'tentacles' or other alien scenery to the ground with the appropriate lighting rigged up.

However, CF is just now headed towards theming and experiences and I am guessing there's still bad blood over Disaster Transport even if that came from a different era in a different park.

My guess is they won't justify the cost s associated, especially if that means the ride also has lower capacity.

This would be a cool idea and I feel it would spread by social media. In the regular world, a lot of people post about park experiences. KD seems to have a active Instagram page, so it wouldn't be long before people here about the ride improvements.

Does Flight have any wheel drives at all?

Went on this for the first time recently. I was a little nervous because in recent years I have gotten very sick after riding roller coasters, and it's exacerbated when you can't see the track in front of you to keep your eye/mind coordination clear (for instance, riding Alpengeist in the dark where I couldn't see where the ride was going to flip next caused me to get quite ill a couple years ago). To my surprise, the big room of Flight of Fear was quite bright (merely dim instead of pitch black like Verbolten) and I could very easily see the whole layout during the entire ride, except the final hallway into the exit platform. It was a lot of fun, and I didn't get sick at all, so my body was happy. But in terms of theming it seemed like a letdown.

Is it normally so bright in there? I would expect them to go for a much darker room for peak excitement. Even though it kept me from getting nauseous I would hope it typically is darker.

Reactions: Nicole
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad