Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
ToddF said:
Heads-up:  One nurse has moved on to her next gig.  On Friday they were running shows one short. On Saturday they pulled in a replacement, but this weekend is the last weekend for one of the others. The rumor is that next weekend they'll be one short again.  So, fellow aficionados, today may be your last chance to see Fiends with a full cast.

We were at the show this weekend and noticed that Friday there were 6 instead of 7 nurses. And sure enough on Friday there were 7 but sitting in front of us in makeup and moving to each dances perfectly in time was another nurse whom, when we asked, confirmed that she was a Fiends castmember. So there should be 7 next week (unless someone is sick) even if another moves on to another gig.

My daughters and I were discussing the reason for the Monster's wig. And to our surprise our during one of Saturday's performances, when the Monster rips off the burlap bag on his head, the wig came off with it. Seemed to have definitely impacted his moves. He was out of sync with Simplicity, once reaching for her hand when it was not there and after a second of waiting he just started pointing. We are guessing that he was preoccupied with his missing wig. But, all in all, always a great performance by all and an enjoyable show.

Fairly sure that is Bernard's wig from London Rocks. Worn during "Help" and others numbers in the 80's part. Or, another wig just like it. Party City has plenty.

Fiends was more revolting than I had imagined. Everyone, please stop pretending it is "burlesque." It is a bunch of over-sexed strippers who don't even manage to get their clothes off, because they are too busy humping everything at crotch level.

One question: where were the guys with the singles?

Reactions: Zimmy
I have to be honest, I thought Fiends was terrible this year. The worst show I have seen at Howl-O-Scream in quite a while... and Fiends used to be my favorite show. It was just so bad. I think I'm going through what Applesauce went through last year.

Where do I even begin? Everything except the basic backbone of this show was wrong; it's lost all its charm for me now. I want to point out that I was not overly upset by the changes made to the show last year. I disliked the constant pop culture references and bad fourth wall puns, but the show still had a lot of good in it. I actually liked last year's Freakenstein and Vampire, although most people disagreed with me there. Some of the jokes they added last year were actually kind of funny. It wasn't as great as 2012, but it was tolerable.

I'm afraid I can't say that for this year's Fiends. I want to clarify now that my assessment of this show is based on a single in-person showing, as well as videos on Youtube. When I went, the swing Pierre was our Dr. Freakenstein for the evening, but he was the least of the show's troubles. In fact, even though he seemed to forget/mess up a few of his lines, I liked how he put his own spin on the character.

Not having the expertise to appreciate the change in wig suppliers, I saw virtually no improvement to this show from last year. As I said, last year's production was tolerable, but it was a far cry from the show's full potential. This year, I was sad to see that none of the 2013 additions which I disliked were removed. Instead, the bits of Fiends' former glory that remained in 2013 were axed in favor of more crappy dialogue and horrendous puns. I'm convinced that one of Scott's minions reads these boards, and he adjusts his shows with the sole intent of pissing us off. Everything that I still liked about Fiends 2013 is gone, and what I disliked remained.

I rarely criticize the performers, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say something here. Igor and the Swamp Thing are simply dreadful. I'm sorry. It's not the performers themselves, as I'm sure they would be great in other productions, but the casting was all wrong here. Neither performer belongs with the part they were given. They both delivered their lines horribly. There was no comedic timing whatsoever between the two of them. Both of them delivered a plethora of lines after which they were clearly expecting laughs, but they hardly received more than a chuckle or two. They both delivered their lines so awkwardly and in ways that simply did not fit their characters or the show itself. Swampy lacked the adorable charm he used to have, and Igor was just plain creepy. These performers could be great if they had a role tailored to their own skills, but the characters they had in this show certainly weren't for them.

One more nitpick: The werewolf now just looks like a guy who really needs to shave. A lot of people expressed their disliking of the fur suit, but I thought that gave him a "wolf-y" vibe. Now he's just a hairy dude who liked to hump the air. Last year, one of my least favorite changes was that the nurses flocked over the wolf man, instead of cowering away from him as they did in 2012, which humanized them a bit. Now they just fawn all over a hairy guy? It's more... disturbing than anything.

There were a few small positives here: I'm glad Jeff is back. It's cool seeing how each performer has their own take on Freakenstein's character (Jeff makes him "weird," 2013's Freakenstein was more "arrogant" and "mad," and Pierre's was just kind of crazy), and I probably like Jeff's the best. I didn't get to see his in person, but I did like the swing's approach. He did mess up or forget his lines a few times, but since he's a swing I won't fault him for that. He did a good job putting a different spin on the doctor. Also, just before the experiment that "works" goes off, the big mural of Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man has been replaced with a mural depicting the plans for Freakenstein's ideal "monster." It explains the use of the various monsters who visit, and made a bit more sense in providing context of the show. It was a nice little touch. Also, the nurses seemed a bit more covered up this year. Considering my age, I don't exactly go to Fiends for the "sexy" appeal and making their outfits less revealing made the show less awkward for those of us not interested in experiencing the theme park version of a strip club.

In conclusion, Fiends is a shell of its former self. I used to love it, I even loved it last year, but this year it was the worst Halloween show I saw at both parks. The entertainment team continues to tear to shreds everything that made this show charming. I don't think I can agree with Nicole's statement that this show is just a strip club (the nurses have been covered up a bit), but now it's just a bizarre mish-mosh of Halloween musical numbers. There's no charm to be found here. The humor is gone. The fourth wall jokes are just as prevalent (when I'm at a park specifically designed to take me to another place, I don't need to be reminded that I'm just at an amusement park!). Everything that was bad, is worse. I would say everything that was good, is gone, but you know what they say... "you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

It's sad to see one of my all-time favorite Halloween shows wither away like it has. Fiends 2014 is just another prime example of the entertainment department's continued trend of bringing their shows down to a once unthinkably low level of quality. Such a shame. A complete, utter shame.

Reactions: Ambz
^Joe to be fair the showing Nicole watched was the final show of the season, and the nurses were more unzipped and bras were fully displayed. It was rather annoying considering the previous adjustments to have them more covered up all season long. and While I feel like I should have expected something like this to happen for the final show, it took me by surprised that they unzipped their dresses more for this showing.

Reactions: Nicole and Mushroom
There was only a few of them with completely unzipped costumes. Most of them progressivly came unzipped throughout the show, as they usually do.

Reactions: Applesauce
I wasn't nearly as offended by the costumes as I was by the movement. There was a Nurse literally humping the wall. It was disgusting. There is nothing clever or charming about faux stripper movements.

Actually, I was so nauseated by the "dancing" that I didn't notice the costumes. Did I really need a full crotch shot mid-stage? Was she available by the hour?

Reactions: Tony
Oh, trust me, Nic, I wasn't trying to say you were wrong. I just didn't see as much of that at the showing I went to. But as I said, with the heart and soul of this show gone (the non-sexual elements like funny jokes and an interesting plot), all that's left of the show is a bunch of bizarre, overly-sexual moves. As someone who still isn't old enough to... ahem, "appreciate"... the nurses, removing the non-sex aspects of the show is a ginormous turn-off.

Reactions: Nicole
Disclaimer:
I will open with "Almost all shows in theme parks are crap."  (see postulate Zimmy 01)

Bias:
As a frat boy, who has straight frat boy tendencies and I think I am fairly zeroed in on the demo of this show.  That being said, I do not attend strip clubs because the whole idea of them frankly gives me the creeps.  When I say "creeps" I do not mean in the spooky way, more in the "there is not enough soap, steel wool, and antibiotic in the world to get me clean" way.

This show gave me the same feeling.  I saw it on opening night and closing.  In both cases I could not get out fast enough.  In both cases I felt uncomfortable.  I am certain some folks will argue that the purpose of art is to garner such emotions.  I do not disagree.  But I do not call this art.

Beyond the faux strip show.

the good - yes there was good
The lighting was excellent and seemed to show technique and training I could identify.  This is unusual in BGW where I expect the lighting to stand ontop of the show, overtake it, and show no regard for the performers.  In this case it was a modified double McCandless plot with moving lights, full stange washes, a few well exicuted specials, some lovely gobos, and finally follow spots from a 45 degree angle.  I thought the color choices were a bit obvious and safe, but I can live with that.  Especially since BGW seems to only every use primary and seconday colors.  (expect LED Par Can rant at some point)

the bad -
The book.  Really, who phoned in this crap plot copy of one scene from RHPC?
The score.  I grow tired of shows with nothing but 3 decades of pop standards.  Further I have concluded somone in ent has a Michael Jackson fetish.  I do not recall a single show without at least a refrence to the self described "king of pop"  
Acting. shallow and uneven, and clearly badly or not trained.  They do not know how to improv and they break character to easily.  (yes last show, blah blah blah.)  I dont care.  They are supposed to be professionals, this is supposed to be superior theater.  Remember all the "We hire from NYC to get the best talent" (crap).  Well the best talent does not care if it is the first, last, or blue hair show.  They keep it together, and do not act like a buch of highschool kids doing summer shakes for the first time.

the ugly -
I have already discussed the 800 pound gorilla so I will not rehash.
The audio....  Oh for the love of chaos, the audio.  The balance was terrible.  The whole show was tinny and needed better equalization.  The mics were not wrung out properly and had feedback problems.  While I dislike lipsync in a show I understand it, but at least try to not make it obvious.  Finally levels.  no two songs were at the same level.  

Really I suspect part of this was the actor being lazy, part of it was the audio engineer being lazy, part of it is the space, but ultimatly the fault falls in the lap of the designer.

I really want Monster Stomp to be my most hated show because my swim lane is lighting and sound, and well...  the list of what is right is shorter tha what is wrong there.  But I can not because this atrocity takes the cake.  Truely I hate it worse then LR.

Zimmy said:
Further I have concluded somone in ent has a Michael Jackson fetish.  I do not recall a single show without at least a refrence to the self described "king of pop"

I can definitely see the attraction! The current leadership of the BGW entertainment department displays all of the late Mr Jackson's subtlety, exquisite taste, financial judgment and sense of restraint.

22SU73A.jpg

5C2CVrV.jpg

Nicole said:
Did I really need a full crotch shot mid-stage?  Was she available by the hour?
Her role probably bothered me the most all season. No previous version of Fiends (12 or 13) had a nurse doing that. And during any other showing I saw when she decides to fold her self like a pretzel for shiggles, she usually kicked her legs for some weird reason??? I literally never understood her addition to the show.

It was like entertainment saw how flexible she was and just said "Yeah do that right in the middle of this number. It'll make zero sense, but it'll be awesome."

It was just a gratuitous view of her crotch for no reason other than to titillate the audience. If she arbitrarily wanted to show off her flexibility, she did not need to face in that direction and show us her hot pink panties.

Reactions: Tony and Applesauce
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad