Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Howl-O-Scream 2012: Fiends

Video link has been added to the first post. And yes, the quality will improve in a few minutes as YouTube processes the video.

Opening isn't that great and it really gets good when the sea monster shows up.

EDIT: Time Warp part was easily my favorite due to the dancing girlfriend in the crowd.

"Lab monkeys grab my parts" doesnt make it PG-13. Last year was more fun, sexier, funnier and more interactive. Big disappointment on this show. What exactly makes it 'adult content'?

geoffreyfox99 said:
"Lab monkeys grab my parts" doesnt make it PG-13. Last year was more fun, sexier, funnier and more interactive. Big disappointment on this show. What exactly makes it 'adult content'?

"How do I turn you on?" *Doctor's fingers walk on nurses leg*

"Simplicity is beneath me."
"But I'm always on top, but okay."

NURSES!! With exposed pink bra's and undies.

The Freakenstien Monster in green spandex shorts.

And yes, "Grab my parts"

These are the few things that make it adult. Theses are things that would be the bulk of complaint if it was in the Festhaus this year.

Reactions: Mushroom

Party Rocker said:
Fiends had some show changes. The cast no longer does the Time Warp, but the song will still play.

*sad face*

I wonder what their reasoning with that one was.

Alright, so...I watched the whole video, 1080p, full screen for the best possible experience. I would like to say....that it is not good.

Obviously, just my opinion, and of course something is undoubtedly lost by not sitting in the theater, BUT, my immediate impressions were (my impressions)...

1. This is way less Halloween-y than Revamped. Revamped had an all-star cast of Halloween iconography. Werewolves, skeletons, witches, vampires, grave-diggers, zombies and angry villagers. This show uses the B-team of Halloween imagery. There's a werewolf, and this one sort of stupid looking vampire, yes, but the main cast is a scientist, Igor and some nurses. Nothing says Halloween like a chemistry set and a pink wig, I guess.

2. Cheesy "risque" dialog for no reason. Monster Stomp had a bit of sexuality, but it didn't seem like it was put there just to raise the eyebrows of some middle-aged theme park attendees. When I see stuff like this, it seriously makes me uncomfortable. Not because I'm a prude...but because I'm embarrassed for how corny it is.

Doctor: How do I *sly mischief face" turn you on? *awaits immature crowd chuckles*​

Oh boy.

Doctor: Patience is beneath me.
Nurse: I'm usually on top, but okay!​

Get it? They're talking about having sex. She's usually on top when they have sex. Guys, do you guys get it? Yay, we're adults.

3. Not nearly enough plot or structure to sustain a storyline through 30 mins, would work better as a simple revue. In 30 minutes, this show goes absolutely nowhere. When you've only got 25 mins, I understand...you're not going to get very far anyway (except that Castle O'Sullivan did), which is why these short types of shows work best as plain old song and dance setups. This is especially true if all you're going to do is weigh the whole thing down with covers. It is essentially a revue that adds a "plot" that it doesn't benefit from, and the cast never changes. So it's a bad revue.

4. The dude in the biker shorts? I can see the production meeting in my mind right now. "You know, we really need something in here...for the ladies!" Any time someone says "we need something" for the anything, you're headed in the wrong direction. This is super true when that sentence ends with "for the ladies." This sort of ties into the goofy "risque" for the sake of being so criticism. Listen, I got no problem with dudes without shirts. I spent 10 years of my life promoting pro wrestling. I'm just asking, honestly, why is the reveal of Frankenstein's monster a young dude in posing shorts? Story-wise, Halloween-wise, what sense does it make? None. Ladies.

5. The scientist guy is no good. Not much to say about him...he just isn't very good.

When we saw it on Friday they had us doing the Time Warp with them at the end
Yesterday they used it as exit music at the end. Hope they change it back.

But it was a fun and entertaining show. We really enjoyed it.
Igor and the Creature from the 'back' Lagoon really did great jobs.

Shafor said:
Shocked face ===> :shocked: ... Eyeroll ===> :rolleyes:

I have to agree with Doc: my problem with Fiends isn't the alleged adult content, it's been the mediocrity at the heart of it. Yes, I like the little tweaks they made but, overall, it still doesn't knock my socks off...

I was reluctant to comment because I know there is a perception that I don't like a lot of new stuff. But honestly, I was psyched when I started watching...and I was pumped when I was watching the beginning...and then it all fell apart.

The reason for no Time Warp was because people couldn't tell if the show was over or not.

Doc Dollars said:
But honestly, I was psyched when I started watching...and I was pumped when I was watching the beginning...

IMO, this seems a little hard to believe. It felt like your review was consciously nitpicky:

"Not Halloweeny enough." Yeah, very few people associate the Frankenstein/Mad Scientist story with Halloween.

"What was with the corny jokes?" Well, they were intended to be, and received as, corny jokes. Personally, I appreciate the corny jokes over last years lewd crotch grabbing.

"I didn't get the guy at the end. Why do they have to throw something in for the ladies?" Well, the guy at the end wasn't really there to "throw something in for the ladies." He was there as a punch line to the story. I mean, I assume you really do "get" that, but are just being intentionally snarky.

"There's not enough plot." or "They shouldn't have had a plot at all." Sigh. Ok??

"The lead sucked." I guess that's a matter of opinion.

We loved the show. Honestly, as soon as it was over my wife turned to me and said "I hate to say it, but I think I liked that better than Monster Stomp" (and this is from someone who was near tears when she heard MSR was cancelled). The theater was high energy and everyone was buzzing about it on the way out. We saw the last show of the day and everyone we talked to who saw it earlier had said they at least enjoyed it (some saying it was great).

Really, it sounds like you liked last year's show much better. Less cornball banter, less story (more of a review of songs), the obligatory mummy, werewolf, vampire, frankenstein, etc, that you seem to think is required to make it "Halloweeny." Right? Oh, no wait, you hated last year's show too. :p

It was a fantastic show, it did have a lackluster story-line, but that didn't bother me. The vampire did look weird, but he was the best singer.

Shafor said:
IMO, this seems a little hard to believe.

Well, I don't know what to tell you, man. I know I'm not going to spend time lying about my opinions on the Busch Gardens forum. I wanted to like it, despite whatever it is you feel about that.

"Not Halloweeny enough." Yeah, very few people associate the Frankenstein/Mad Scientist story with Halloween.

I don't, really, no. It's a horror story, sure, and I mean, they can be part of Halloween, yeah, but we're comparing this show with what it replaced. MSR was more seasonal than this, again, to me. Maybe if this show had a Frankenstein monster or a mad scientist...instead of an exotic dancer and Ryan Seacrest in a lab coat. But they didn't have that. They had a dancer and Seacrest.

"What was with the corny jokes?" Well, they were intended to be, and received as, corny jokes.

We disagree here. I think they were intended to make the show "edgy" and "adult" to show the audience that "this ain't your grandpa's BG show!!!" And again, it's not that you can't have sexual stuff in the show...but I was reminded somewhat of middle schoolers looking at drawings of naked chicks and giggling. Didn't like it.

"I didn't get the guy at the end. Why do they have to throw something in for the ladies?" Well, the guy at the end wasn't really there to "throw something in for the ladies." He was there as a punch line to the story. I mean, I assume you really do "get" that, but are just being intentionally snarky.

First, I think that's a little bit of a misunderstanding of what I'm saying. I don't care that they have things in the show that women like...I care that they force something into a show where it doesn't fit so that they can have something "for the ladies." I can almost see the bunch of creeps sitting around the table talking about this idea with their pencil moustaches. Creeps.

Anyway, I did get it. It was, again, something "unexpected, sexual and wacky"...pushing the envelope...hide the kids. Corny. The so-called punchline of what joke? That he's got a monster under the sheet and it turns out to be a completely normal looking human being in hotpants? Did I maybe miss the setup on that? How is this better than if he'd of revealed an actual frankenstein monster? Hell, the monster could have been a buff guy wearing a speedo who also looked like an actual monster. Whatever. This version is nonsense.

"There's not enough plot." or "They shouldn't have had a plot at all." Sigh. Ok??

I don't feel like that's an unfair criticism. If you're going to have a plot, structure a story and have some character and make an arch and resolve a conflict. If you're not going to do those things, ditch the "story" and just go abstract. That's not unfair, I don't think.

We loved the show. Honestly, as soon as it was over my wife turned to me and said "I hate to say it, but I think I liked that better than Monster Stomp" (and this is from someone who was near tears when she heard MSR was cancelled). The theater was high energy and everyone was buzzing about it on the way out. We saw the last show of the day and everyone we talked to who saw it earlier had said they at least enjoyed it (some saying it was great).

Shafor, we agree on a lot of things around here, but we've also disagreed about shows before. I know you see Celtic Fyre very positively, and I don't. I feel that, structurally, this show has a lot of the same issues as Celtic Fyre. I don't doubt that people liked it. Sure. It's not absolute garbage, by any stretch. But I'm always looking at these things comparing them to a show that doesn't exist...a potentially better show. So, to me, its largely irrelevant if they liked this show, because I know there was a show they could have put on that they would have liked better, and been more happy with.

Really, it sounds like you liked last year's show much better. Less cornball banter, less story (more of a review of songs), the obligatory mummy, werewolf, vampire, frankenstein, etc, that you seem to think is required to make it "Halloweeny." Right? Oh, no wait, you hated last year's show too. :p

I never saw last year's Fiends, that I can recall. I saw clips of the sexual stuff, and I didn't like it for the Festhaus, especially during the day, and felt it was inappropriate. It's out of the Festhaus now, and I think that's a good change.

I don't know, buddy. I'm sorry that you don't like that I didn't like it. Maybe if I were sitting in the theater, it would be different. You can't really watch Cirque on youtube and "get it," either.

Reactions: Haberdasher1973

From what I've seen with the video, it starts getting decent after Swamp Man sings "People are Strange." Igor basically saved the show and Swamp Man did pretty good, too.

Bon Jovi does not belong in ANY sort of a show at all, that was the dullest moment of the entire show. Second place goes to the Thriller opening, THAT was bad.

Reactions: Haberdasher1973
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad