Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the patent:
A realistic roller coaster simulator is disclosed having one or more passenger seats equipped with a safety harness and mounted for 360 degree rotational movement along at least two axes for simulating the motion of a roller coaster. A controller is provided for controlling and coordinating the motion of the simulator with a simulation controller which generates to the passenger synchronized audio and visual effects which would be experienced by a passenger on a roller coaster of a predetermined design. Linked to the simulator is a design station where a passenger can design his or her own roller coaster. Upon entering the simulator station, the passenger's design can be accessed from memory and selected for simulation on the simulator vehicle. Upon initiation of the simulation, the passenger can experience in real time the visual, motive, audible and other effects (such as wind, heat, cold, water, etc.) of the simulated roller coaster ride which the passenger has designed.

Not doubting what you're saying but do you have a patent number I can look up?

Plus there's one loophole in that patent. The very last sentence. To me, this looks like something out of EPCOT where park guests "design" their own rides and then ride them on a small-scale simulator. Obviously no park guests designed any of the rides at BGW....Technically they could work around this patent.

The patent number is 6007338. Hereis a link to the patent... http://www.delphion.com/details?patent_number=6007338

Reactions: IndyRacingNut
IndyRacingNut said:
Plus there's one loophole in that patent. The very last sentence. To me, this looks like something out of EPCOT where park guests "design" their own rides and then ride them on a small-scale simulator. Obviously no park guests designed any of the rides at BGW....Technically they could work around this patent.
In the patent law world it's dangerous to draw conclusions based on a summary. Only the point-by-point claims and diagrams carry legal weight. The patent's summary is really just a convenience for the reader.

Many of the itemized claims do relate to the guest-designed ride concept, but not all of them. And anyway, there is a much more exploitable "loophole" in this patent: It expires in 2017.

Of course, any subsequent improvement patents that reference this one may provide new opportunities for infringement. There are 30 listed patents referencing this one in some way. I didn't look through the 30 to see whether any of them resemble attempts to "picket fence" this patent, but many of them won't expire until many years after this one does... So there's that angle to sort through too.

Reactions: Hoopla and b.mac
Hoopla said:
This is the patent:
A realistic roller coaster simulator is disclosed having one or more passenger seats equipped with a safety harness and mounted for 360 degree rotational movement along at least two axes for simulating the motion of a roller coaster...
Not so fast! I'm not great with law, but would it not be a loophole to simply simulate the movements of a roller coaster without inverting riders (no 360 degree rotation, no two axes), in a vehicle not much different from those used on EitA? Not as realistic, but easier, legal, and technically higher in capacity. :cool:

Triotech Amusements manufactures a simulator attraction simulating a roller coaster. It has very basic seat movements, much like those used on pretty much every simulator BGW has had. And yes, it's still a roller coaster simulator, just not one that feels just like the real thing!

I take it Indy was just referring to a similar simulator with mild movements (like now) with a movie depicting a POV of one of the park's rides.

But let's be serious here, people! I assume Indy was sort of joking, but keep in mind that we totally burned the park over a simulated airplane ride over the sights of Europe. Imagine our fury if they were to simulate a ride on which you could literally experience the real thing less than five minutes away ("Total waste of space," "Doesn't fit the theme at all!" "I miss Europe in the Air, the theme and ride were great!" "Why the heck am I watching a video of the ride I'd rather be riding?!" You get the picture.) ;)

Let's try to veer this thread back on topic. I love the conversations we're having about the ride, but I'd prefer that to go into the ride's attraction thread, and reserve this page for cool ideas on what, someday, maybe when we're all gone, and the park has turned into a futuristic chrome wasteland like this...:
sb-129.jpg
...we might see in the space that EitA once occupied.

I was sort of joking, but in a way, it would be fun for people who honestly are not able to ride the big thrill rides to at least get *some* sense of what it's like to ride those rides...and allow parents of children too small to ride them to give them a chance to see that it's not so scary after all, etc etc.

This is still a better idea than what EitA was & that's no joke. :)

You couldn't just re-use the existing simulator for this. Also if they aren't paying for EitA why on earth would they pay to operate exact copy's of attractions elsewhere in the park but in watered down, simulated form. Fun idea but makes zero sense.

Reactions: Mushroom
Atlantis said:
JuniorBGWfan28 said:
Well it has to some time, they can't just leave the building vacant forever. Or possibly they just might open EITA again Next year. Unless you're 100% sure that they are never going to replace it with anything, then I'm keeping this thread in rumors.

They do not HAVE to put anything. Oh they took Drachen out and nothing was put there. I thought they HAD to put something there. Pointless rumor thread is pointless. Go ahead and start a rumor that Transformers will be built here. It is on the same pace as this thread.

The Drachen Fire station is out of the way and the only way you can see it is if you ride the trains. EitA is a big freaking castle turret in the middle of Killarney. It's really noticable. I'm pretty sure they have to put something there.

Bring back Corkscrew Hill, but make it new like Spider-Man in Universal! They could even make new scenes that vary every time you ride like Star Wars in Disney! They have so much potential with simulators, but they just don't do it!

i think there is still hope for it. if the big bad wolf can be closed and they replace it about 2 years later i think they can fix this issue very quickly.

Rpcoaster said:
Bring back Corkscrew Hill, but make it new like Spider-Man in Universal! They could even make new scenes that vary every time you ride like Star Wars in Disney! They have so much potential with simulators, but they just don't do it!

i beleive your outdated friend. universal sold their rights to spiderman to disney. also they shut down the ride. they did this back in 2011.

Taryntheterrible said:
also they have a simulator up and running called escape from darkastle.

I think you mean a dark ride called Curse of DarKastle.

or the water ride, Escape from Pompeii?

Yes, they have a dark ride up and running but one is not enough they really do need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad