Escape from Pompeii Catches Fire

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Coaster Square

Worshiper of the Alpenchrist
Aug 3, 2017
Raleigh, NC.
Is it really that beneficial to the park though? It’s expensive to operate, rarely has a line, just caught on bloody fire. They could build an extremely cheap coaster such as a Vekoma Bermuda Blitz and bring in tons of revenue to then build a dark ride that’ll last, and be good.

lce

Hard, Hard Times
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Frederick, MD
Is it really that beneficial to the park though? It’s expensive to operate, rarely has a line, just caught on bloody fire. They could build an extremely cheap coaster such as a Vekoma Bermuda Blitz and bring in tons of revenue to then build a dark ride that’ll last, and be good.
It's something that adds to BGW being known for the dedication to theming, whereas coasters are very very difficult to theme. They don't need to take away dark rides. They need more if anything. They are down to two with Pompeii and if you even count BfE. I can understand if you don't personally enjoy the ride, but I don't think tearing something down that takes up so much space and has an entire area dedicated to it to build another attraction while they are about to break ground on a new Hamlet is a good idea in the slightest. Though it isn't a must ride attraction to me, it's something that sets BGW apart, and if the little things that set them apart are slowly chipped away, we essentially will have another KD

Gavin

Who, me?
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Spotsylvania, Virginia
If Pompeii is removed, I’d expect them to use the space for Seasame Place (if it happens) or FoF expansion. Only thing is the train would run right through it.

horsesboy

Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I want to point out that we don't know that the fire was ride related. We know that it was on the roof of the building but that could simply have been a cooling unit or something else up there and not necessarily part of the ride. Heck there was lightning in the area it could have been caused by a lightning strike. The fire happened last night after dark or close to it from the picture. There is no way that they have had a chance to examine it and determine what damage there is. For all we know at this point the damage could be nothing critical and it might be tested and cleared to open later in the week. We will have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
If KD's Volcano is a goner too, then BGW should go with a spiritual successor to both rides. "Pompeii: Eruption", a Maverick killer or S&S pneumatic launch. KD should then respond by bringing back the Haunted River in the Volcano structure.

Of course, that involves losing two iconic and unique attractions. I'd rather not see either leave unless it's a total loss. And if Pompeii is a total loss and KD's Volcano lives on and it's just an Xcelerator situation, BGW should NOT build a launch coaster to replace Pompeii.
It only had a couple more years left before it had to be refurbished. #prayfordemolition
I want it to be demolished and replaced with a compact coaster. Bermuda Blitz, Mack, intamin, etc. Wishful thinking, but that would be amazing.
Is this satire? Do you not know that this could be build literally anywhere else in the park, with more room and cheaper (without the demolition costs)

Jun 23, 2010
I'm hoping the damage was minimal and that the ride reopens quickly. It's one of my favorite rides in there park, and I'll be visiting next week with my boyfriend who has never experienced Escape From Pompeii, and I was really looking forward to introducing it to him. For now I'll keep hoping problems are fixed quickly.

horsesboy

Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Another point to consider is that IF there was significant enough damage to warrant a permit closer that the location is likely to sit empty for a decent amount of time. The close proximity to both Nessie and the pipeline make it s tight fit for a coaster type ride or anything requiring lots of space. The train and sky ride as well as the fact that using it for Sesame Place would slice off the end of the park path loop make that unlikely to. If it's a loss it's a decent blow to the park and one that I would be sad to see.

Mar 16, 2016
Another point to consider is that IF there was significant enough damage to warrant a permit closer that the location is likely to sit empty for a decent amount of time. The close proximity to both Nessie and the pipeline make it s tight fit for a coaster type ride or anything requiring lots of space. The train and sky ride as well as the fact that using it for Sesame Place would slice off the end of the park path loop make that unlikely to. If it's a loss it's a decent blow to the park and one that I would be sad to see.
That’s about the footprint of the RMC Raptor. #JustSayin

Aug 18, 2017
Has anyone been able to get a photo of Pompeii? I haven’t seen the schedule, but I would think that BG would be open today.

Reactions: Luke

horsesboy

Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Its thundering now so not sure if I will go or not but a source that I have that works there on credibility level of the dip and dots guy says that danaged is more extensive then what it appears from the front. That person says that they were still battling hot spots this an. IF that is truer that doesn't sound good for the ride.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad