Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Speaking of that drop, DF's lack of airtime was my biggest complaint about the ride. The camelback hill never did anything for me, and that was the only ostensible floating opportunity the ride offered.

After dealing with Son of Beast through all of its phases though it was the roughest ride i have ever been on i am still glad i got to ride it. It would be the same for DF.

Zimmy said:
I never had a problem with the head rattle that so many others did on DF.  I generally enjoyed her layout, however I did not like her truncated drop.  But I am not a invert guy.

I'm with Zimmy on the truncated drop. Give me a straight big drop and then you can curve, invert or whatever afterwards. This is the main reason that I don't care for Alpengeist. The first drop is ruined by the downward curve. I never get that gut feeling on Alpie which is the reason I ride coasters.

Reactions: Nicole
Hawth said:
Zimmy said:
I never had a problem with the head rattle that so many others did on DF.  I generally enjoyed her layout, however I did not like her truncated drop.  But I am not a invert guy.

I'm with Zimmy on the truncated drop. Give me a straight big drop and then you can curve, invert or whatever afterwards. This is the main reason that I don't care for Alpengeist. The first drop is ruined by the downward curve. I never get that gut feeling on Alpie which is the reason I ride coasters.

Take a trip to Cincinnati and ride Banshee. though it is a curved drop i think you would be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Hawth
Hey APE, are you on KICentral? I recently joined and you look very familiar. :p

Yes i am on several sites. I tend to use the same name and picture with most of them so if there are people on multiple they will recognize me. my job here is complete :cool:

Reactions: Nicole and Mushroom
While looking around on the wayback machine I found the 1998 facts sheet for the infamous Drachen Fire.
Busch Gardens Williamsburg said:
RIDE TYPE: Multiple-looping, steel roller coaster. One of the largest in North America
THEME: Fire-breathing dragon theme; electric-blue steel track and bright red cars with multi-colored shooting flames on the sides ("Drachen" is the German word for dragon)
FIRST-OF-A-KIND ELEMENTS: Batwing: Rolls upside-down twice in boomerang-style motion
Cutback: Rotates upside-down inside loop
Camelback Hump: Provides "zero gravity" floating effect
INVERTED ELEMENTS: Features five inverted elements
TRACK LENGTH: 3,500 feet
SPEED: In excess of 60 mph
RIDE TIME: Approximately two minutes
RIDE CAPACITY: 2,000 passengers per hour
HEIGHT: 150 feet
WEIGHT: About 355,000 pounds of steel used in construction of the track
CARS: Three trains, seven cars each, four passengers per car
OPENED: April 4, 1992
LOCATION: In the park's Oktoberfest section, adjacent to Das Festhaus
BUILDER/ DESIGNER: Arrow Dynamics, Clearfield, Utah
Source

I never had any roughness issues with this ride and found it to be very fun. I have been there some days where you could just stay in the seat and ride again. I filled out the seat pretty well and maybe that's why. It also had that great corkscrew at the end, loved that!

Reactions: CastleOSullivan
I've always found it interesting that some people seem to have an "immunity" to coaster forces that other people might find to be painful. Naturally, it varries by ride. I know this isn't as good of an example, but some people can't ride Tempesto without feeling pain. I guess it's all about how they design the ride to fit certain body types.

I think it would be cool to sit in a Drachen Fire vehicle to get a better idea of how the ride would feel to me. Although Ron Toomer had very specific, yet strange ways of envisioning ride forces, since he wasn't really a rider himself.

Reactions: Nicole
Watching that first video, it seems like the ride never slows down either, only at the brake station and the very end. It seems like it comes into the station hot and hits the brakes. Wish I could have ridden this back then.

When a ride jars me once, it seems like the rest of the ride is ruined from there, unless there is a breather. I have heard some say that Drachen Fire was relentless, and might have been tolerable if there was time for people to catch their breath.

On the other hand, I don't know how Alpengeist's MCBR helps or hurts the feel of the ride. I know that Alpengeist felt smoother when it glided through the brake run, but did this alone make it feel any smoother? Somehow I don't feel like the same principles applied to DF.

Reactions: Zachary
CastleOSullivan said:
I think it would be cool to sit in a Drachen Fire vehicle to get a better idea of how the ride would feel to me. Although Ron Toomer had very specific, yet strange ways of envisioning ride forces, since he wasn't really a rider himself.
I believe Canyon Blaster at Circus Circus in Las Vegas still has its original trains, which are as far as I could tell are exactly the same as DF's. Different paint scheme, nothing more. So if you're out that way you might stop in.

There is an interview out there somewhere with RMC's Alan Schilke, who notes that during his time with Arrow he found their force calculations to be pretty inaccurate. Not too surprising, given Arrow's very "approximate-feeling" rides. I think Ron, Dal, and company were both emboldened and constrained by their generation of by-hand calculation training, and also by (I strongly presume) a lack of available funding for a complete rebuild of their design and fabrication technologies in the late 80s/early 90s. That stuff ain't cheap, especially when the mindset is that the existing methods are "good enough."

halfabee said:
I believe Canyon Blaster at Circus Circus in Las Vegas still has its original trains, which are as far as I could tell are exactly the same as DF's.  Different paint scheme, nothing more.  So if you're out that way you might stop in.

Yup, Canyon Blaster still has the same trains as Drachen Fire.

Attachments

• DF shirt.jpg
    DF shirt.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DF Shirt1.jpg
    DF Shirt1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 8
  • s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 9
Nicole said:
Wasn't there a DF throwback tshirt at the park?

Indeed. I saw it in the Festhaus gift shop Saturday.

20170513_191613_1.jpg

20170513_191618_1.jpg

20170513_191622_1.jpg

Grant said:
There's also 2 shirts from the 90's
I had the "tile design" shirt (on hunter green instead of black), and the graphic looked really fantastic in person, like a stained glass window on a t-shirt.  

It lasted a long time but eventually gave up the ghost.  Wish they still sold that style, as I'd happily buy another.

s-l1600.jpg

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad