Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
This part was accurate:

"When you're riding Drachen Fire, the new torture chamber the folks at Busch Gardens have cleverly disguised as a roller coaster, you don't have too much time to dwell on last thoughts."

Just found this awesome picture of somebody doing maintenance on the ride.
Rollercoaster.jpg

Like so many Arrow coasters before and after, she was as much art as ride. If they had just gotten different trains I believe that it would still be one of the best rides at the park.

I HATED Drachen Fire. Of all the coasters I have ridden in my life, only two have given me significantly painful and unpleasant experiences: Shockwave and Drachen Fire.

I will say, though, that I'd rather have Drachen Fire back and lose Shockwave. At least with Drachen Fire, there was (possibly) a way to fix the problems. The only way to fix Shockwave's problems is to recycle the steel into Kia Sportages.

^ I have, fortunately, never ridden Mantis. I have plenty of experience with other supposedly painful roller coasters, such as "Batman & Robin: The Chiller" and the Cyclone at Coney Island. None of them, at least as far as I can remember, bothered me. But Drachen Fire? YES. Significant back pain and a shoulder injury are the only things I really remember about that trip to BGW.

Drachen Fire made my head feel as if blood might come out of my ears at any moment. Shockwave is anatomically ill-conceived, especially for women. But Mantis...I literally walked over to a bench; asked Tony for some water; and spent the next half hour working very hard not to curl up in a ball and cry. I was in pain for the next week.

I am mad that Mantis is getting updated. I want it torn to pieces and sold for scrap.

Reactions: Zimmy
I think, partially because of my size and frankly the shape I was in during college and highschool. (significally stronger and leaner than today) I did not suffer the same issues as someone smaller. I do recall riding with Nic and seeing how the harness hit the sides of her head and thinking, "that is not going to end well" My friend Josh, used to get beat up fairly badly too, again I think my oversized neck is the only thing that saved me. (Incidently, then when I was in very good shape I have a 19" neck from wrestling.)

As much as I loved her shape, and she was beautiful, ultimatly a roller coaster should not require absurdly think neck mussles to ride.

I liked and miss this coaster. I rode it 5 or 6 times in its infancy, and I rode it twice after its alterations. I definitely remember it being less fun after the corkscrew removal. I am a firm believer that a replacement clone manufactured by B&M with floorless trains would be nothing less than successful. The announcement of the new B&M coaster 'Inferno: Drachen's Revenge' for BGW's 40th anniversary would have been nice.

Edit: Who wouldn't be excited to see that electric blue track rolling in on flatbeds? (Other than Zimmy who hates box shaped track stuff)

Reactions: GeoUSA
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad