Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
My son and I got to be evacuated off Dominator today.

Waiting on the transfer track after the ride, they dispatched the train into the station like usual. First attempt the train traveled about 5 feet on the track before coming to a halt. They recycled it again, and this time about 3/4 of the train managed to make it into the station before coming to a stop, yet again. At that point they tried for about 20 minutes to get it to move again, but no luck.

With most coasters, especially when it's mostly back into the station, it's easy enough to manually unlock the restraints on each car, and have the passengers step out. But of course, it's not that easy on floorless models.

So though my son and I waited a full 30 minutes, it was pretty cool watching the unload procedure:
  • With four seats across, each row is divided in two, where a rectangular floor section is placed down spanning the gap to the middle of the train - where the floor section is stored on either side of the station itself, something I never noticed before.
  • The front row has its own special floor section, with its own set of hand rails on the front half to assemble, to ensure guest safety when they step out.
  • All the other rows of the train can then share a second/simpler type of rectangular floor section, which does not accommodate hand rails.
  • However as the last two rows of our train did not make it into the station (which is where I was in row 7), maintenance had to get a third type of floor section (which is stored on the far end of each side of the catwalk).

So though I love riding floorless coasters, I had never given much thought to the effort needed to evacuate passengers from a train... and now have respect for all the work park ops must do each time.

View attachment 27751
Watched that evac while I was stuck on eiffel.

@Nicole - just curious, what's up with the dislike downvote?

I thought it was a well written article, and it's encouraging to see the park acknowledge the history of existing attractions (even if the story is somewhat abridged from the fuller picture some of us are aware of... Though that story also veers off into the history of another park).

They lead with “masterpiece.” I disagree with that emphasis. I also think in general the article gushes way too much over what is only (in my opinion) an adequate coaster. Marketers are free to use superlatives all they want, but I’m not required to agree with them.

Last edited:
I will note there’s a limited number of B&Ms I would describe as “masterpieces” (Fury 325, Mako, and Montu would be the only 3 I’ve ridden I would put into consideration for it maybe a few more). Dominator is probably the 4th or 5th best Floorless coaster Ive ridden.

I guess the writer is speaking in the context of engineering design? Maybe they consider all B&Ms to be “engineering masterpieces” and that context I guess it makes sense but in terms of ride layout no it’s not a masterpiece.

The problem with "masterpiece" is the implication of a clear superiority. There's been days I'd put Dominator a hair above other coasters of its time, and it's also the best floorless I've ridden yet. It's very well rounded, with height, speed, floaty inversions, +G's, an air pop and a high-G turn at the end that does a lot for its sense of pacing.

I got a couple good back row rides Sunday. My front row ride, empty train, was headbangier than my Anaconda rides though still far short of the bone-jarring roughness of my last ride on Alpengeist, back row.

Does anyone know what the strange booth on the left side of the queue is? I’ll try to get a pic of it next time i’m at the park.

Bizarro/Medusa at SFGA is significantly better than Dominator. Has more and better elements, less head banging and nice special effects. I still wouldn't quite call it a masterpiece, but it is very good.

Personally I don’t get the hate for this ride. Yeah it’s not an outstanding coaster, but it’s a B&M. It often ends up with one of the longest lines in the park. Additionally, my recent rides have gotten me to appreciate the ride much more—I feel more forces on this it seems. I have greyed out a bit on my more recent rides. Sure the trims suck, and the corkscrews rattle ya around more, but it’s not unbearable. Especially if you ride on the side closer to the load gates, you get some damn good whip down that drop.

Personally I don’t get the hate for this ride. Yeah it’s not an outstanding coaster, but it’s a B&M. It often ends up with one of the longest lines in the park. Additionally, my recent rides have gotten me to appreciate the ride much more—I feel more forces on this it seems. I have greyed out a bit on my more recent rides. Sure the trims suck, and the corkscrews rattle ya around more, but it’s not unbearable. Especially if you ride on the side closer to the load gates, you get some damn good whip down that drop.
I don't think anybody is exactly hating on it.

Saying that it isn't a "masterpiece" is not "hating on" it. There is a huge spectrum between "a work done with extraordinary skill" and "something to despise."

Personally, I think it is fine. It is a B&M, but it beats me up. The restraints alone disqualify from the category of "masterpiece" for me.

If we’re talking like “engineering context” exclusively, you could make an argument a significant amount of roller coasters are “engineering masterpieces.” Think about how much fun the engineer who designed Defiance probably had for a ride that some of us are like “meh too short” but otherwise yeah that is in my opinion “masterful engineering” putting a roller coaster on top of a literal mountain. Wild Eagle also comes to mind being a large scale B&M again on top of literal mountains. Neither of those rides are my favorites (well haven’t ridden Definace yet full disclosure but odds are maybe Top 50 at the most optimistic of 205) but they probably required some very skilled engineers to design them.

Now if the ride produces an abysmal experience then they probably cut some corners in the engineering process I imagine amongst other areas.

Reactions: SLC Headache
Bizarro/Medusa at SFGA is significantly better than Dominator. Has more and better elements, less head banging and nice special effects. I still wouldn't quite call it a masterpiece, but it is very good.
Every element they have in common is better on Dominator. I do really like the dive loop with fire and the giant screw thing but it's not enough. Maybe if I'd hadn't ridden Dominator first and been used to float in the loop and air off the midcourse already those wouldn't be disappointing. Also can't give B&M credit for the props. I do really enjoy it though, they're great coasters. The train format is perhaps the best ever.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad