Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
If we collectively did the extreme all businesses closed across the nation for a couple weeks on the outset, then reopened as some have suggested we should have done, would we still likely be in this weird holding pattern?

On the plus side, I am really enjoying not having to leave the house to work since every day is take your pets to work day...

If we collectively did the extreme all businesses closed across the nation for a couple weeks on the outset, then reopened as some have suggested we should have done, would we still likely be in this weird holding pattern?

On the plus side, I am really enjoying not having to leave the house to work since every day is take your pets to work day...

I think we would be.

My fear of the lack of a national strategy to managing the pandemic is majority that all states have different plans. But what seeps in for me is take states like VA/MD/PA. We are doing really well right now. Someone that doesn’t concern themselves with precautions at all Ford to Florida, catches the Rona, gets on a plane to Richmond without a mask, potentially exposes 100 people. Those 100 go out into the city and all the sudden in VA we have a new outbreak because Florida lies about cases to open early then did nothing about it.

Not all plastic surfaces are easily scratched. Do you know which particular plastic they are using? Maybe it is one that has a higher degree on the Mohs Scale?

Also, why do you need to see anything? Doesn't being in darkness, not seeing anything add to the thrilling sensation of rides in general?
The article said "plexiglass" but didnt elaborate. As far ass seeing, that is the whole reason I like coasters and despise rides with screens. Years ago I loved Drachenfire just because I would always ride at night and looking out over the ghost fleet with the moon reflecting off the water was so nice.

Soo... with daily COVID cases in Florida getting close to double the number of the original peak, at what point do you think their Parks will have to shut down again?

Apparently several restaurants in Florida had to shut back down this week because a large number of their staff got infected with COVID after the state removed some of the restrictions.
I doubt anybody will shut down again, with the exception of for staff sickness or cleaning, as a lot of businesses are just hanging on at this point. More likely is you'll see more modifications to operating protocols to better protect employees and customers (e.g. mandating masks, staggered entrances, etc.).

I think we'll be in this weird holding period for quite awhile even if numbers go down, barring a 100% effective vaccine or anti-virus. The issue with COVID-19 is it seems to be really hard to stamp it out completely due to contagiousness and that it's not really that strong a sickness for a lot of people. Even if you get to zero in one area, all it takes is someone mildly sick that's contagious coming back in and getting dozens of others sick. Compare that to SARS-01 which was far stronger so it was easier to quickly quarantine the sick and stamp it out.

Governor Northam says entertainment venues, museums, zoos and other outdoor venues may open at 50% capacity with a max of 1000 people. It is currently unclear if this includes amusement parks. More information will be released on Phase 3 this afternoon on the Governor’s website.

Reactions: Zachary
Governor Northam says entertainment venues, museums, zoos and other outdoor venues may open at 50% capacity with a max of 1000 people. It is currently unclear if this includes amusement parks. More information will be released on Phase 3 this afternoon on the Governor’s website.

Max of 1000 is nothing for a park like BGW. I mean, is it even profitable to open at that point with those numbers?

Highly doubt it, it seems they start using the "due to inclimate weather" to close early when capacity is under 3000.

Max of 1000 is nothing for a park like BGW. I mean, is it even profitable to open at that point with those numbers?
Maybe if they sell tickets in 2 or 3 hour blocks and only open one country each day - e.g. you get to visit Italy on Monday from 2-4pm. They'd be little better than a glorified beach amusement park at that point.

2 days ago, I asked if coasters are infection machines. Later, I saw this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"Empty middle seats on planes won't stop the coronavirus". They were surprised how far the virus spread. Dr. Chen's models show how empty seats do not provide enough distance to avoid spread. He says the only improvement is limiting passenger density. Nevertheless he says he would ride on a plane if masks also were used.

In the case of a large coaster train at high speed, particles from the front row would reach the back row within 2 seconds. However, within another 2 seconds, the entire train would be largely flushed. Some particles would stick to surfaces and a very small amount inhaled. Based on a model that any virus can cause infection, this is terrible. However, if there is a threshold amount, it is possibly very good, and far better than airplanes. In this case also, empty seats do not provide enough distance to avoid spread, only limiting passenger density. Even masks do not limit the distance, only the amount, but that may be more than sufficient also.

By this model, shields might actually make the problem worse. Testing and modeling should be done before more-or-less ruining rides with such devices, indeed before opening rides at all, or fearing them.

@bill s while that video is a good video, it bypasses the fact that planes, trains, (and automobiles) are enclosed areas and rollercoasters and most amusement park rides are open even with those partitions.

Maybe if they sell tickets in 2 or 3 hour blocks and only open one country each day - e.g. you get to visit Italy on Monday from 2-4pm. They'd be little better than a glorified beach amusement park at that point.

I doubt that would make the park more profitable.
At a reduced scope like that most visitors would be people with memberships that don't generate any revenue at the gate and barely anyone would use their limited time there to buy food, I imagine.

Reactions: Zachary and warfelg
After hearing and sharing the news about Disney World cancelling their Halloween event, I decided to take another quick look at the IHME numbers to see if they had played a role in their decision.

Unfortunately, my guess is that this is a resounding “Yes”. These new charts are almost exponentially worse than last week (June 11th) where the IHME concluded that the second wave would begin around September 15th and that there would be roughly 170,000 total deaths. Only four days later (June 15th), they’re showing more than 201,000 deaths and it looks like the wave is starting at the beginning of September now. I know that this model changes a lot, but i don’t see thing getting better anytime soon.

I didn’t feel good about our Haunt/HOS prospects last week. Now I feel even worse about them.

957A3270-7824-41AA-9697-B5CC18A5E129.jpeg 769723F2-592B-4A40-A030-7CC4E3B0220D.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Nicole and Zachary
Disney isn't going to close unless they have to though, right? And other parks same thing.

Re: 1000 people, maybe the park could also be sectioned? Or they could offer limited use, to satisfy passholders and require everyone be one.

@bill s while that video is a good video, it bypasses the fact that planes, trains, (and automobiles) are enclosed areas and rollercoasters and most amusement park rides are open even with those partitions.

My point is that it is indeed very different, and also analysis should be done, to which I can offered a couple of primitive calculations.

Potentially shields could also be transparent displays, but i still wouldn't want them on everything.

Disney might as well close, they are cutting everything. Its to the point that even if they open all the magical stuff they were known for is gone. Now magic bands and no longer going to be given out and you will have to use your phone.

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Mushroom
Disney might as well close, they are cutting everything. Its to the point that even if they open all the magical stuff they were known for is gone. Now magic bands and no longer going to be given out and you will have to use your phone.

Yeah that’s not how a for-profit business works. They are just trimming the fat from their operation, both eliminating the elements of the park experience that won’t be safe and saving serious operations expenses. I guarantee you they’ll find a balance where the parks can operate to a profit.

I doubt that would make the park more profitable.
At a reduced scope like that most visitors would be people with memberships that don't generate any revenue at the gate and barely anyone would use their limited time there to buy food, I imagine.
I don't think BGW could offer member usage under severe capacity restrictions without basically extending out the memberships, as members wouldn't get anywhere near what they are paying for. Maybe they could open part of Water Country under the 1000 person cap, but again what do you do with members. Do they extend memberships out and make everyone pay a reduced rate at the gate or do they open it up to members under limited capacity and get a backlash and a million permutations of how to deal with different situations.

KD could possibly do a limited opening under the 1000 person cap as they've already extended season passes through 2021, so that liability is basically solved already. If there are ways KD could find to make it profitable, such as bringing in outside vendors to supplement guest spending or doing other add-on type activities, they might be able to make it work.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad