Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Not to superbly nitpick here: Dorney Park has 2 entrances (By Talon and Thunder Canyon, and could have a 3rd by splash landing), Canada's Wonderland (on either side of Yukon Striker).

**Worth nothing Knotts, Cedar Point; their water parks are separate.

Not being nit-picky. I did preface my statement "As far as I know". Given KD's staffing issues, would they have enough folks to staff both entrances? On slow days 1-2 people are needed to make sure people have proper attire on to go back into the dry side of KD (shoes, shirts, etc.). On Saturdays in the past, the park has manned the entrance with 2-4 folks.

The last two times I was at the water park, there was NO one attending the one entrance. This doesn’t seem high on their staffing priority list.

The entrance is always manned by guards only before the waterpark opens and shortly thereafter, and after closing. They’re not there during waterpark hours.

Saw a facebook post from the American Amusement Park Museum showing some photos of the KD's closed Big Wave Bay. A couple of photos show 3 men walking alongside the tree line on the far left side of the empty wave pool as you face it. AAPM stated these folks were surveyors from the Aquatic Development Group. They design water parks, resort water attractions, and indoor water parks. They have their own water attractions as well. These are more like wave pools, wave rivers, and their most recognized attraction, Flowriders. They do have some unique designs (wave pool where you can enter from opposite sides).

ADG does work with water slide manufacturers like Proslide and White Water West to incorporate their slide towers into the greater design. Here is ADG's web site. They have some nice videos of their attractions in action.

ADG Web Site

Whatever is happening to the Big Wave site, I suspect it will start happening soon. I noticed that everything around the wave pool (chairs, umbrellas, lifeguard stands), as well as the large Big Wave Bay sign, has been removed within the past week, and a chain link construction fence has gone up around the site.

Whatever is happening to the Big Wave site, I suspect it will start happening soon. I noticed that everything around the wave pool (chairs, umbrellas, lifeguard stands), as well as the large Big Wave Bay sign, has been removed within the past week, and a chain link construction fence has gone up around the site.

Sounds like the wave pool demo will start before the water park closes for the season on Labor Day.

Reactions: b.mac
Can you get photos

I feel like we should be finding out about this next week potentially if Kings Island is doing their announcement next week. I am genuinely curious what Cedar Fair is doing since they already built the standard "waterslide complex" that every other cedar fair waterpark has now.

Reactions: KDkid2 and Mushroom
I believe a mat racer (finally) or water coaster would be best for Soak City.

Although the water park needs attention with Tornado and Big Wave Bay gone, I would like to see a flat ride (could be a fairly inexpensive one) on the dry side of the park announced with the Soak City expansion. There are many locations in the park (either side of Delirium, Old Virginia, near Dominator, front portion of Volcano site) that could use some new life.

Since KI's announcement isn't until next Thursday (8/15), I would expect KD's to be the week of 8/19 or early 8/26 to go along with promoting 2020 season passes going on sale before Labor Day weekend.

Could also be that the rumor of a sink hole under it is true, and that the park doesn't want to take any chances of the void collapsing and someone getting hurt.

Could also be that the rumor of a sink hole under it is true, and that the park doesn't want to take any chances of the void collapsing and someone getting hurt.

I am absolutely certain this is not the case as staff is still allowed back there at the moment. It’s just to prepare for construction.

California's Great America announced South Bay Shores today (https://www.cagreatamerica.com/explore/south-bay-shores), which means KD's announcement could come at any point now.

This CGA announcement goes with Cedar Fair's recent trend of giving water parks their own regional identity: 1. Carolina Harbor (2016) 2. Cedar Point Shores (2017) 3. South Bay Shores (2020). If KD had not already recently changed the name of the water park to the generic Soak City in 2015, I would say a regional re-theme could be in the works with the 2020 water park addition(s).

Reactions: jornor
If the Soak City Shores name is getting canned (one can only pray) I'd totally be fine with Tidewater Beach or something along those lines.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad