Big Waves Cause Big Problems in Soak City

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Nov 1, 2012
Interesting in that the worker is using a concrete saw on the wave pool apron. Wonder if they need access to just a portion of the basin to remove/replace piping?

The older Big Wave Bay wave pool had the water return catch basin along the whole length of the zero depth entry. I don't think the newer Tidal Wave Bay has that feature. Maybe the Big Wave Bay is being reconfigured / upgraded with new wave making tech and water filtration system?

In the back of the picture you can see broken up piles of concrete in the deep end. Some at the center of the pool and some in front of the right side wave generators. But, none of it appears to be from the external walls or floor of of the pool. Deconstruction of the interior wave making apparatus? Course, nothing can be seen of the far left side of the pool in the photo. Makes me wonder if some new attraction is going to merge into the existing wave pool basin.

Things that make you go hmmmmm. . . .

Reactions: Eric and Joe
Jul 22, 2014
Virginia Tech
Looking a bit closer at what CGA is getting (South Bay Shores) and the Tide Pool seems as if it could replace a wavepool while keeping the same structure:

Tide Pool
A new family lagoon with eight kid-sized water slides that line the perimeter of a zero-depth-entry pool will give children their own pint-sized water thrills.

Joe

Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
I'm prepared to be disappointed when it's new larger splash house.
Splash House is in pretty bad shape - visibly outdated, lots of broken parts and effects, and too small to handle the crowds it gets. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked.

Remember that whatever Project 2020 is, it’s replacing a family attraction with a huge capacity. It seems logical that Big Wave’s replacement would serve a similar role.

Jul 5, 2017
If we got a mat racer and a big activity pool of some kind that would be cool addition. Cedar Fair has definitely not been big on adding like "multiple" slide towers over the years.

Reactions: Hokie305
Nov 1, 2012
Saw some other construction photos of the Big Wave bay on Screamscape. Those photos show the left side of the pool apron. They appear to have jack-hammered a narrow channel from the zero-depth water return basin going toward the deep end. Makes we wonder if they are trying to remove/replace the water return pipes under the concrete pool basin.

Still trying to figure out the scope of this project. This is the earliest I have seen any future attraction work start in Soak City. Given the water park does not open for the season until Memorial Day weekend, they have started demo/construction 10 months before the 2020 season starts for Soak City. Most of the other water park expansions/refurbishment projects in the past were in the 6-7 month range. Meaning ground work did not start until late October /early November.

Nov 1, 2012
Splash House is in pretty bad shape - visibly outdated, lots of broken parts and effects, and too small to handle the crowds it gets. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked.

Remember that whatever Project 2020 is, it’s replacing a family attraction with a huge capacity. It seems logical that Big Wave’s replacement would serve a similar role.
I was thinking the same thing. Splash house is WAY past due for an overhaul/replacement. I thought when Soak City got a refurb 5-6 years ago, something would have been done then. I think a medium-large Rain-Forest play area would be a good replacement. Not Sure the park would splurge for an extra-large Giant Rain-Forest water structure given the work going on at Big Wave Bay.

I think the park could re-orient a new or expanded play structure to take over 70-80% of the fountain plaza in front of the existing Splash House. That seems to be so much wasted space.

Reactions: Joe

mtorange

Grand Carnivale, Haunt, and WinterFest Aficionado
Jul 26, 2014
Kings Dominion just announced that they will be selling 2020 passes starting this Thursday. Could this be a good time for a 2020 announcement?

Jul 22, 2014
Virginia Tech
Thursday appears to be the day when season passes are going on sale chain-wide. However, we now have confirmation that both Kings Island and Dorney Park will be announcing their 2020 additions on Thursday.

Nov 1, 2012
Thursday appears to be the day when season passes are going on sale chain-wide. However, we now have confirmation that both Kings Island and Dorney Park will be announcing their 2020 additions on Thursday.
I believe someone on another site posted back in late July that Dorney was getting something new for their waterpark. It was brought up in a township meeting where Dorney is located.

Jul 5, 2017
Is there actually an announcement on 8/15 at KD or have they just not said anything yet? I remember for Delirium they just tweeted a picture of a sunrise with "2016" the day before or something.

mtorange

Grand Carnivale, Haunt, and WinterFest Aficionado
Jul 26, 2014
Is there actually an announcement on 8/15 at KD or have they just not said anything yet? I remember for Delirium they just tweeted a picture of a sunrise with "2016" the day before or something.
I haven’t seen anything officially announced, but it wouldn’t surprise me as they usually have their announcements in mid-August.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad