Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Somehow mixing the flags bothers me more than just the Union Jacks by themselves. Why can’t they all just be the proper English flag? Or better yet, why do they need the flags at all??

Because they can!...

More likely it's probably a PITA to get those wires up for Halloscream to have the rubber birds, rats, and pumpkins hang off of, and the wires are way more visible in Banbury Cross than further down towards Tweedside so they figured why not decorate.

Reactions: Eric
Somehow mixing the flags bothers me more than just the Union Jacks by themselves. Why can’t they all just be the proper English flag? Or better yet, why do they need the flags at all??

^^^^^THIS!!! Why at all?

Well, there is the perfect description of half-assed. And a picture to go along with it in the dictionary. Que BGW, the poster child for how to not get it right and ultimately totally fail at the execution. ?

Okay, I won't be totally negative. There is an attempt to be correct. Tho' I'm sure there were only changes because the old flags were disintegrating. Oops, a negative. Back to positive. At least all the Union Jacks are hung in the same direction, not all random rotations. I wish they took this much thought and care at other attempts. Tho' I'm not sure how I feel about the sideways orientation. I don't think we'd disrespect the USA flag in any way. Let us not do it to other flags, either.

History lesson number two - When the union flag is flown upside down, it is a form of distress signal – a coded signal and should only be used as such.

BTW, how many have seen the Eddie Izzard skit on flags? Eddie Izzard "World History" Sketch from Dress to Kill. For those that appreciate British comedy, also look up his world history and Death Star cafeteria skits.

EDIT: Y'all quit typing so fast.

Nicole said:
Union Jacks were flown like that for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, for what it worth.

Cool. As it should be, for 2012. Not Elizabethan England, though. I see USA flags flown on their side, too. But also not be be flown upside down unless of distress. Of course, there are a bunch of wonderful official flag rules that this society just doesn't seem to care about. Which is sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mushroom
I was addressing why they might have chosen to fly the Union Jacks that way. I don’t recall saying anything about the original hamlet theme.

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: michaeelaln
I recreated England from Busch Gardens in Minecraft... let’s just say I have a bit too much time on my hands these days

Attachments

• ACDB11A2-F1A6-447A-942A-653CCE6218A8.png
    ACDB11A2-F1A6-447A-942A-653CCE6218A8.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 703F2717-DE00-4B7F-B5B0-3A61501A51D7.png
    703F2717-DE00-4B7F-B5B0-3A61501A51D7.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • FC2980CD-D21A-4EEA-9064-BD6849E8EA9D.png
    FC2980CD-D21A-4EEA-9064-BD6849E8EA9D.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 7ECAB2AC-2517-4B23-827D-BFCF2F62819F.png
    7ECAB2AC-2517-4B23-827D-BFCF2F62819F.png